• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Today John and I took a road trip over to Cabela's in Gonzales,La. It was about three hours over and another 3 back. You gotta time it just right so that you do not get stuck close to NOLA during the morning or afternoon rush hours or at lunch time. The traffic on either I-10 or the loop around is terrible during those hours.

The store itself would probably make two of the Bass Pro Shops. The layout is pretty much the same though with the gun stuff along one long wall and out front. We took a look in their Gun Library where the keep the high end stuff. It was also great to see that they had some used guns. Some of the older military guns and some older shotguns also.

The people that worked there were super friendly and a old retired Marine in the gun department was super helpful. When I asked him if they had any 6.8 ammo he said..."well sure we do" and showed me where it was. This was the very first that I have ever seen on the shelf. The SSA was both 100gr Accubond and the 115gr Sierra's. I had never heard of the brand to the left of the SSA.

They had more scopes that I had ever seen in one place. A super selection including some of the higher end stuff. Also a good selection of reloading supplies including bullets with the Barnes name on them. I got 4 boxes of both the TSX and TTSX.

Pics include: some ol' faht that was panhandling at the front entrance,the 6.8 lineup,and the gun racks(there were lots more out of the pic also).

All in all....great trip and we got a chance to solve all the problems of the world on the way over and back. --- SAWMAN

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Twice as many guns as Bass Pro and twice as much ammo IN STOCK.

nrajeeper

Shooter
    When in Fort Worth TX, I love going by the Cabela's there - always jealous of the selection.... If my timing is right, I can hit Cabelas, then Bass Pro, then catch my flight home...

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Yes, limited access as in you can walk up to the counter but can't go behind it on the new guns. The high end guns are in glass cases that you can put your nose on the glass. The used gun racks are out in the open for handling and located behind the cameraman. That little barrier is to keep you from going into the area where the employee in jeans is standing. I think that area is where they mount scopes, etc.

Last edited:

Seanpcola

Wonderful! I just spent the better part of 3 weeks within 50 miles of that store and never once did it occur to me to check it out.

Sawman, did you call the cops on that panhandler?

shootnstarz

Master
    Yes, limited access as in you can walk up to the counter but can't go behind it on the new guns. The high end guns are in glass cases that you can put your nose on the glass. The used gun racks are out in the open for handling and located behind the cameraman. That little barrier is to keep you from going into the area where the employee in jeans is standing. I think that area is where they mount scopes, etc.

Oh, OK. I though they had access to the counter roped off.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    It does kinda look like that. Behind the cameraman are 5-6 double stack double sided gun racks out on the floor with used guns. Off to the right out of sight is a separate room, The Gun Library, which is mostly high end used and I think some new stuff. Most of it out of my league and budget.

bobinbusan

Master
    What is the tax rate over there, 10% or ?

That good looking statue in the first picture, did they have a price on it? :drama: :popcorn: :attention:

Last edited:

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Only 8.5% on my ticket for reloading stuff.

I think the statue is pretty pricey.

SAWMAN

Master
    I followed the "transient" over to KFC for some grub. I made him pay his own way though.(Most of "these kinds" have more money than I do anyway.)

This was the first KFC,that I have seen, that had a "bouncer" in the store. At the end of the buffet bar(where the chicken was) there was a big black man sitting in a metal chair. As I came through the line,jokingly I stated..."what are you doing, guarding the chicken". In a really deep voice he sez....."yes sir,we have had a problem with people stealin' the chicken. If I catch 'em,I run 'em out". I say..."you have much of a problem with that around here". The man sez..."ohhhhh,yes sir".

We were at a KFC right next to I-10....NOT down in the 9th Ward someplace.......uhhhhh.......DAMN !! ---- SAWMAN

Shley65

Expert
    Great post Bill, we sure need a Cabela's close by us .

Seanpcola

I was at a Popeye's (when in Rome, etc.) in NOLA last week and saw pretty much the same thing.

I'll skip further comment lest I run afoul of site rules. LOL

SAWMAN

Master
    Hey Sean, you can substitute almost everything for......Piece Of Shit. --- SAWMAN

Snow Bird

Master
    Who is standing in front of the store so I can put a face to someone on the forum besides Ian.

SAWMAN

Master
    That is Tom Johnston of the "Doobie Brothers". They were doing a show in NOLA and I called him to have lunch with us. ---SAWMAN

Snow Bird

Master
    SAWMAN I always wanted to meet him. Looks diffrent than the last concert I saw him at.

SAWMAN

Master
    Yeah..I know.....he smoked so damn much dope in the last 30 years that he lost the use of his inner ear......now he has vertigo....that is why he stands sideways all the time.He told me that with the proper amount of teen sex,his doctor told him that he would probably live...'til he died. --- SAWMAN

Latest posts

Top Bottom