• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Soon I will start reloading for rifles. Will probably start with .223. I have reloaded pistol ammo for years. I mainly used RCBS and have a couple Lee sets. What do ya'll like for rifle dies? Should I go with the RCBS two die set or the Lee three die set with separate factory crimp die? Are collet dies necessary? I know there is more equipment to buy, but right now I'm interested in die info. Thanks

Last edited:

Signal25

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have both lee and RCBS .223. I usually use the RCBS sizing and seat, then finish with the Lee FCD.
    No real reason why I think. Just started that way and kept doing it.
    Both are good quality dies, IMHO.

jrs1957

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    LEE dies are good, but only 2 year warranty, RCBS and Redding are better, life time warranty. But buy a Lee factory crimp die separate by itself, if you get the RCBS or Redding dies, it makes a better crimp. My opinion.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What firearm(s) will you be reload for ?? I makes a difference what die set you buy. Normal/Regular.... or small base.

I have been reloading .223Rem/5.56x45 for years and I use RCBS. I have a set of each that I have had for 30 years and they are still going strong. With a little PM I do believe most all the dies nowadays are good. Have you looked at Redding ?? Will you be using military brass ?? I do, and I also have a primer pocket swadger from RCBS that I use. --- SAWMAN

Va boy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks Sawman and JRS1957, loading for an AR so I will research the RCBS small base die set. JRS1957, if the RCBS gives a factory taper crimp, do you keep the RCBS die body high enough so it doesn't crimp and then crimp with Lee? I like to keep things as simple as possible. Haven't looked at Redding but have heard all good stuff. Thanks for your inputs. I'm sure more questions to follow before this horse is completely beat

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do not crimp any .224" bullet for any of my 223/5.56 guns. I also never use any bullet with a cannelure. I chuck my mouth expander stem with the plug on it in a drill and hold some stainless steel wool on it and take a couple gazillion'ths of an inch off the mouth expander ball. Then I polish it with some jewelers rouge. This does not allow the mouths of the case to be expanded quite so much.

As long as your bullet seater die is adjusted properly(properly aligned)and you use bullets with a boat tail they seat easily and will not be driven back into the brass either by inertia or the otherwise violent action of an semi-auto. Of course with a bolt gun or a single shot this is a moot point. --- SAWMAN

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I started reloading pistol shells with lee and still use lee for pistol. I prefer the RCBS dies for rifle. I've got 5 sets. I broke/bent a decapping pin on the .243 set
    a few weeks ago and didn't know that Natchez and Midway carry parts for RCBS. I emailed RCBS customer service asking about the availability and price. The lady running the dept. told me not to fret, she's send me one at no charge. SWEET!

And.. VaBoy, get you one of those fancy digital calipers. You're just clambering around in the dark without one. I don't usually do much around that bench that I don't need it for one thing or another. In fact, I don't know how I got along without one.

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RCBS. If reloading for a semi auto fully resize the brass. For a bolt you will get better accuracy from taking casings that have been fired in THAT gun and just size the neck and trim the neck when needed.
    WR

Duelist

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    You might want to try a RCBS X die. You do not have to trim brass with this die. I taper crimp semi-autos and do not like the lee factory die (collet) for rifles.

jrs1957

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When seating the bullet, I don't seat and crimp at the same time. I know it is a extra step to crimp after seating. But you never have to worry about buckled brass and bullet depth being so much different from case to case. Keep the die high enough not to crimp, and then come back and raise the seater, and lower the die to the crimp of you desire. If you ever buy a redding die, you will see the diffence, and then there are the DILLONS.

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Very, very good thread. A quick pointer, if you're neck sizing with an RCBS die, just let the ram come to the top and place a nickle coin on the shell holder. Screw the die down till it touches the nickle, then set the big nut (jamb nut) and allow for the thread being pulled back up. That makes a perfect neck sized case. This is only good for bolt and single action. This was passed to be by a seasoned handloader. I checked the nickle with a digital caliper, and it's a perfect 1/16th of an inch.. exactly what RCBS recommends. Ain't life grand?

Last edited:

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use exclusively Lee dies, only because that's what I learned with and I like the procedure steps better than the others. All the major die brands are about as good as the other, it's just the process that differs.

Rick

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Lee dies. For my 30-06 I bought the "deluxe" kit with 3 dies and then added the factory crimp die.

I second getting a caliper, you are going blind without one. Buy one from a local hardware store, its more than likely going to be cheaper and better built than the one on the web. I have a digital and am going to go back to an old dial one.... who needs batteries... and the the older ones seemed better built.

Top Bottom