APOD Firearms

Removing a Front Sight Base to swap handguard cap...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Hey guys, anyone ever try removing a front sight gas block from an AR barrel? Got this Colt carbine barrel and I want to swap the circle cap with a triangular one. Are special tools/machinery required to do it? Found a super cool carbine length triangular handguard I wanna throw on this thing.

Attachments

• 20230826_213115.jpg
      20230826_213115.jpg
      247.2 KB · Views: 60
    • 20230826_213125.jpg
      20230826_213125.jpg
      228.9 KB · Views: 40
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Hey guys, anyone ever try removing a front sight gas block from an AR barrel? Got this Colt carbine barrel and I want to swap the circle cap with a triangular one. Are special tools/machinery required to do it? Found a super cool carbine length triangular handguard I wanna throw on this thing.
    Why? Carbines should have the round endcap. The rifles had triangular endcaps. The only carbine to ever have a triangular endcap was the Model 607. They used a modified/cut-down triangular handguard with a special rear endcap to work with the flat slip ring.

006.JPG

Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Why? Carbines should have the round endcap. The rifles had triangular endcaps. The only carbine to ever have a triangular endcap was the Model 607. They used a modified/cut-down triangular handguard with a special rear endcap to work with the flat slip ring.

View attachment 239490
    Not looking to build a clone, just a weird build for myself. Got a smoothside carry handle upper that I'm building into a 16" 9mm for fun range time. Found a cool OD Green triangular that I wouldn't mind slapping on instead of the M4 guards I got.

Attachments

• xm177handguardgreen.jpg
      xm177handguardgreen.jpg
      22.2 KB · Views: 36

rviray

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If you're determined to do it, just get yourself a micrometer to measure the pin ends, it's probably a taper pin. One pinhead should be smaller than the other and that is the end you want to hammer on to punch out. Get yourself a good punch and a heavy hammer and hit it with the force of the Thunder God Thor, himself. It's a pain to do, but with enough time and force, the pins will come out.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've removed quite a few FSB's and I've only been beat once... they can be extremely difficult to drive/press out, or they can come out quite easily... you won't know until you get into it.

Like mentioned, you need a BIG hammer and a QUALITY punch. They sell a armorer's block that will help support the FSB while you do the job. You will also want some type of touch up product to clean up the marks left from the work... such as Oxpho Blue.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    rviray and Bowhntr6pt have valid points. Removing a FSB can either be somewhat hard to do or out and out difficult. Just make sure that you know which end is which on the pins before you start hammering on the punch. Also, make sure you have the barrel assembly supported well.

Top Bottom