• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Floorguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have a remmington 700 .308 in sps or varmit barrell long barrell, just saw one with a shorter barrell thought would be better for hunting not sure and wanted to see what you guys thought of the longer or shorter barrells thanks.

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wish I could help ya, I would be lying to ya if I gave you an answer. I would however have to ask what ranges will your typical shot be?What is your longest?Ultimately I believe either would be fine,I understand you wanting a shorter barrel to lug around,in doing so this usually constitutes loosing a few fps, wich with .308 I would venture to bet you could sacrifice a few. Not to mention how many 500+ yard shots are you going to take around these parts? Others know ALOT more than me esp. on ballistics of .308 and the 700 for that matter,but I would assume the above to hold true.I believe the snipers used bbl's on theirs iirc.... I would go for the short barrel if I had the choice ,but then again I really dont know jack about them..Hope that helped somewhat,,
    Matt

CviewGarand

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My grandfather was a sniper with the 5th SFG in Vietnam. The rifle he was using was a Remington 700, 26" bull barrel, and an 8 power Unertl scope. That thing was good out to 1000 yards he says. In this area, I would agree with Matt, you're not going to have anywhere NEAR a 1000 yard shot. A nice 20" barrel would probably be more than adequate length, not to mention it's a LOT easier to lug around the woods. Personally, I've been hunting with an old Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 WIN. More than able to bring down a deer, much much lighter, points better...but that's just me.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just traded my 20inch barrel for the 26inch so if u have any specific questions I can give u my reasoning?

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom