• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdh

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After shooting a deer last season and ejecting the casing my bolt will not lock down. It slides back and forth fine. I can't see any physical damage to it when removed. Anyone have any ideas?

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Something could be in the way. Check the chamber and the face of the action where the locking lugs slide into place when closing the bolt. Also make sure your firing pin is cocked correctly. It’s possible the shroud and firing pin are off a 1/4 turn and not timing up correctly. Post pictures here or watch a YouTube video on model 700 firing pin disassembly.

jdh

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you for your reply! I'm going to check it out and will post what I find.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    how long has it been since you cleaned the chamber and lugs and re-greased the lugs? A picture of the bolt face and the back of the lugs might help too. Have you changed the scope mount?

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As jester896 asked have you changed the scope, if so checked and see the scope base screw is not to long and going to fore in and the bolt is hitting it . Sold one a while back and they call me and said the bolt would not close, i know it was working before they got it. they added a scope they started out saying some was wrong with rifle. , when I checked it in front of them, found they had used a screw a little to long and the bolt would not close it was catching on it , backed the screw out and it worked, told them to get a shorter screw. They did not what to say at this point. Just my 100 cents jj

Gitsum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Remington dirty chamber or over pressured round could have stuck in chamber and part of rim ripped off and is chamber area like previous poster mentioned. Use compressed air and blow out chamber area in front of lugs.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not sure what you Gentleman are referring to, I simply showed a picture of a normal Remington 700 bolt so he would know how the firing pin and hammer mechanism should look. If these shoulders are not lined up you simply have to rotate the back a quarter turn until they are before closing the bolt..

Gitsum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My bad my Remington 700 does not protrude that far behind the shroud when in the open bolt position. It's a lot newer version. I assumed that was the damaged rifle. Oops my bad

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My bad my Remington 700 does not protrude that far behind the shroud when in the open bolt position. It's a lot newer version. I assumed that was the damaged rifle. Oops my bad

right... the cocking piece does not protrude that far out with the bolt in the open position... it is below the surface of the bolt shroud when open. Even with the bolt closed I have never seen one that far out. There looks to be something wrong with the rifle in his picture. Maybe @oneshot could chime in again.

Gitsum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    right... the cocking piece does not protrude that far out with the bolt in the open position... it is below the surface of the bolt shroud when open. Even with the bolt closed I have never seen one that far out. There looks to be something wrong with the rifle in his picture. Maybe @oneshot could chime in again.
    AGREED

Gitsum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm not sure what you Gentleman are referring to, I simply showed a picture of a normal Remington 700 bolt so he would know how the firing pin and hammer mechanism should look. If these shoulders are not lined up you simply have to rotate the back a quarter turn until they are before closing the bolt..
    Simply showed pic of a dinosaur Re 700 LOL, That explains your surprise by our comments and us not knowing your 700 was an old model. I'm plenty old enough to have seen one or used an older model but keyed in on the cocking piece protrusion and not the short shroud. I think I may have mentioned the possibility of it being a older model but maybe not. Best thing is it's normal and still plugging away!

Top Bottom