• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Just picked it up and bolt is stuck closed. I've read that it's from the bolt over travel with the barrel off, but Google can be the devil. Anything from bent parts to broken spring to having to replace the bolt. This is my first A5 type shotgun and I'm a little shy to dive into it. Any tips would be appreciated. Looks like at minimum the stock and the trigger are going to have to be removed.
    104 year old gun and looks brand new, I don't want to mess it up.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Can you explain that again? Haha.
    I'll have to try it and report back. I'm sure the damage is done if it don't come loose
    On my Remington 11 if the barrel is a little loose and slides forward then the bolt will not go back. If you push the barrel back it will. Spray it down with penetrating oil (pb blaster or wd-40 not the stuff your boyfriend uses on you in the bedroom).

Put the butt on the ground and push the barrel down. Move it back and forth and try to work the bolt loose. It will come free and still work. Damn things are made like tanks.

May try tapping it with a mallet.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    The barrel will not come all the way out unless the bolt is locked back But it will let everything come forward about 1/2 inch And this make free something up. View attachment 194886
    Bolt is locked forward with barrel moved for shipping purposes. I can install the barrel to what I think is correct by the line in the barrel and the spacing in the handguard to receiver. I'll have to try when I get to the house.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Bolt is locked forward with barrel moved for shipping purposes. I can install the barrel to what I think is correct by the line in the barrel and the spacing in the handguard to receiver. I'll have to try when I get to the house.

So the barrel is not in it? My advice is wrong then.

Take a mallet and a dowel and tap it back.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    So the barrel is not in it? My advice is wrong then.

Take a mallet and a dowel and tap it back.
    Barrel is not in it but I can install it to where it appears to be flush, which tells me the bolt did not over travel. Seller says he cycled the bolt closed slowly before shipping. . Google says something is bent from over travel. I'm still not home so can't say. I'll tap it with a brass drift and mallet. If it's messed up I'm sure the damage is done.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Lubed it up and let it sit. Light whack against some cardboard didn't do it. Took 3 good hits and it busted loose. Cycles great. Smooth. Dang thing has a spring in it. Good bit of force to hold the bolt back from my other remingtons. Tossed in a snap cap. Trigger works. Be a few weeks before I have time to shoot again to make sure it fires. Thanks James!

Brockskennedy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Its always good advice to tape somthing with a hammer especially whrn you have no idea whats going on internally. You should take a look at a parts breakdown of the gun and try and figure out what is going on. You definitly wont chance breaking anything.

It may help to remove the buttstock. Once its off you can remove the bolt return spring and atleast take some pressure of the bolt. Try and drop the trigger assembly. The more you can get off the gun the better chance you have in geting it apart. The brownings are almost gunsmith work to tear down and i wouldnt touch it without a good set of flat ground screw driver bits. Dont buy the brownells brand the bend with slit pressure.

More than likely it is a victim of someone trying to clean it and once it was put back together he relaised he messed it up. Quite possibly the drift pin that holds the bolt together was punched in to fare.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Why don't yall just tell him to to use a 10 lb hammer it will work better and do it quicker . Have worked on a lot of these in the past . If you know how they work on the in side you wouldn't bring that hammer out the only thing you use a hammer on is the pin in the bolt with a punch . I think I have covered this kind of advice not to long ago. Parts for these have gotten a little costly. A lot of work I get now is fitting what some one has massed up from bubby are from U-tube. Just my 25 cents ( inflation ) jj

Top Bottom