DK Firearms

Remington auto loading hunting rifles... jamomatics??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Years ago, maybe 15 years back, I walked in one of my favorite gun shops and saw a barrel in the corner with rifle barrels sticking up, must have been more than a dozen in it. I asked the shop owner about them and he said take your pick, $50 each. All were 742’s and 7400’s. I’ve never owned one so I don’t have a dog in the hunt but this gun shop/gunsmith didn’t care for them, old guy deceased now and was one of the best at gun fixing. My son in law has a 7400 his granddaddy gave him and he’s never said any bad things about his.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Short actions tend to work better

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good article with good points being made. One is that people refuse to read owners manuals. I have worked on many of these, some with success and some had to be retired. These rifles came with a dog-legged shaped chamber cleaning brush. Brownell's sells a chamber cleaning kit just for these. Since you had to clean the barrel from the muzzle ( this was before bore snakes) you pushed all the barrel crud into the chamber. Most people threw away this chamber brush with the owners manual in the box. This causes the chamber to rust, then the cartridge gets stuck, or the head is ripped off the cartridge. Then comes copious amounts of WD-40 and so on. After a while the lugs in the top of the receiver wear out and the bolt won't lock up correctly. There is a company in the New England area that converts these to the 760 pump for those who want to keep the rifles. There are other problems as well but my reply is long enough now.

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Years ago, maybe 15 years back, I walked in one of my favorite gun shops and saw a barrel in the corner with rifle barrels sticking up, must have been more than a dozen in it. I asked the shop owner about them and he said take your pick, $50 each. All were 742’s and 7400’s. I’ve never owned one so I don’t have a dog in the hunt but this gun shop/gunsmith didn’t care for them, old guy deceased now and was one of the best at gun fixing. My son in law has a 7400 his granddaddy gave him and he’s never said any bad things about his.

I would have taken them all!

My first deer gun was a 740 woodsmaster in 30-06. I took many a deer with it.

Not the most accurate gun but a soft shooter and very reliable. I even ran a 10 round mag for fun.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Good article with good points being made. One is that people refuse to read owners manuals. I have worked on many of these, some with success and some had to retired. These rifles came with a dog-legged shaped chamber cleaning brush. Brownell's sells a chamber cleaning kit just for these. Since you had to clean the barrel from the muzzle ( this was before bore snakes) you pushed all the barrel crud into the chamber. Most people threw away this chamber brush with the owners manual in the box. This causes the chamber to rust, then the cartridge gets stuck, or the head is ripped off the cartridge. Then comes copious amounts of WD-40 and so on. After a while the lugs in the top of the receiver wear out and the bolt won't lock up correctly. There is a company in the New England area that converts these to the 760 pump for those who want to keep the rifles. There are other problems as well but my reply is long enough now.
    Very interesting that a company converts these over to pump actions, I’ll have to research that

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I had a model 74 that never gave me any problems but a friend bought one new and got rid of it because it was a jamamatic. He had Remington inspect it (iirc) and then had a gunsmith polish the chamber and it still jammed every time he tried to shoot it. He sold it for $100 and told the buyer what it was doing and no refunds.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Have tried to work on a lot of the 742 s had a couple of success, Call the factory one time about sending them one, the reply was send it to them they would send a coupon toward purchasing a new Rem. product they would not fix it. So if the factory want fit it . will let you come to your own conclusion . Just 5 cents jj

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Got a 7600 in 270 and 30-06, great rifles when hunting clear cuts during the rut if follow up shots are needed during a chase. Ought to have my a&$ kicked for selling a 760 in 30-06 that had the 18” barrel, don’t know what I was thinking. Been trying to find a good used one chambered in 243 for years.

TK5o

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Ive had a 7400 in .270 for 20 years. Its strictly a hunting rifle some not many rounds through it. But it has not given me any problems either

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom