• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi everyone, been lurking (and learning) on here for a little bit. Finally found a really good estate sale deal on a Dillon XL650 with pretty much every other doo dad needed to get me started. I did have a few questions in regards to all of this:
    1) Is there anyone here in or around Palm Harbor or Tarpon Springs FL? I'd be happy to pay or share some of my loot here just to have an expert just point me in the right direction on all of this stuff. I do feel after a year of research on this I am in a good place but still want to be very through. Back when I lived in GA over a decade ago I used to love reloading with some friends and it would be cool to see if anyone around here might be interested in getting a group together or something.
    2) One thing that came with this lot was a whole bunch of 38 super +P stuff. Die, tons of clean brass, etc. Can I use this the same as 9mm or is it completely different? If it is different then if anyone wants a whole bunch of 38 ACP stuff to trade, let me know!
    3) The powder reservoirs were all filled with powder. I have no idea how long these have been sitting around. Maybe a year or maybe much longer. Does it expire? And if so is there a safe way to dispose of it? Reason I'm asking is because it looks okay but while most of it is loose, I do see some that is sticking together in a ball and don't know if that is just static or if the humidity has ruined it.
    4) The 650 is in good shape but I still want to clean and lube it. Dillon recommends using "grease" in a lot of points. What exactly is "grease" and can I get it at a WalMart or O'Reillys or something?
    5) This lot also came with two Dillon RF100 auto primers. I only need one. It has the blue (pistol small) primer attachment. Happy to sell or trade if anyone wants!
    6) Also have the following for sale or for trade (just give me fair price I'm open for a win-win deal):
    - Hornady 300 blackout dies
    - Hornady 223 dies
    - Redding 300 blackout dies
    - RCBS 9mm dies
    - RCBS 45 ACP dies
    - MagnetoSpeed V3 Chronograph

Thanks so much and looking forward to contributing more and more here!

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Do you belong to Wyoming Antelope Club? It's been a while since I lived there but there were a number of reloaders who were regulars there.

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Silver Dollar Trap Club is in Odessa. They have a pro shop/gun shop. Mostly shotgun stuff but a lot of reloaders, you might get a lead there. Also Shoot Straight has stores in Tampa and Largo and Lakeland, it seems they handled reloading equipment. I am sure there are others, I have been away from the area for a while.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Used to live down that way.
    what types of powder , how does it look and smell ?

rthmjc

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live in Tarpon but don't claim to be an expert at anything. I've been shooting Creedmoor for 4-5 years and that's the round I am concentrating on hand loading at this point. I am also interested in hand loading 458 SOCOM. I bought Redding dies for the SOCOM in 2012 but never used them. Bullets for the SOCOM are also hard to find at this point in the 250-350 gr range, which is what I prefer to shoot. I would like to find others in the area who are hand loading as well.

In regards to the powder questions, powder does degrade over time and becomes less stable if not stored properly. If you are not positive about which powder it is or how old it is, I would not use it.

Powder makers put out recall notices periodically for a number of reasons. This link http://blog.westernpowders.com/2019/11/accurate-powders-recall-notice/ is for Accurate 4350. I would follow similar advice on old powder you have no knowledge of.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One thing that came with this lot was a whole bunch of 38 super +P stuff. Die, tons of clean brass, etc. Can I use this the same as 9mm or is it completely different? If it is different then if anyone wants a whole bunch of 38 ACP stuff to trade, let me know!
    38 super cases normally cost more than 9x19 luger cases. Not normally interchangeable. It is typically used in IPSC competition.
    With some patience you can trade it off once you learn the value of it.

I also recommend starting off with a simple single stage press until you learn something about reloading.

The powder reservoirs were all filled with powder. I have no idea how long these have been sitting around. Maybe a year or maybe much longer. Does it expire? And if so is there a safe way to dispose of it?
    First if you do not know what kind of powder it is relative to brand and number, it can not be safely use. If you had a horse pasture you could sprinkle it about in most cases and let rain and then the other elements of nature take its course. The active ingredients are normally nitrocellulose and if a double base powder it would have some nitroglycerine also. Some powders also have additives, but if it is spread out likely no big deal. It can also be burned if done properly.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    when you say a ton of clean brass , how much are you thinking ? 38 super brass will not work for 9mm. I converted a 9mm 1911 over to 38 super. And honestly its a fun round.

shootin-blanks

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just fit a 38 super barrel to one of my 9mm Single stacks.. How much brass do you have?

Members online

Top Bottom