• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Do your dilligent reserch into action strengths before sneeking up on any load >SAAMI.
    In the past I have approached loads in several different chamberings that were 3,000-7,000psi above book/manufacturer MAX.
    First of all,you get ZERO SUPPORT from manufacturers of powder,bullets,or the weapon. I have done this mostly using the RUGER #1 actions,one old MAUSER action,and several different NEF Handi Rifle actions.
    I believe that this CVA action is every bit as strong as a NEF action. However,now older,wiser,and not having "as much" need to tinker,I will not push the power levels.
    However,if the 450Bushmaster is rated at 38,500psi, in my action,NOT A BOLT GUN and DEFINATELY NOT a AR,given the small primer pockrt,somewhat thick web design,it is probably capeable of "SAFELY " reaching 42-45K psi.
    In a Ruger #1,Mauser,or a well fitted NEF/Encore/CVA action,the weak point would be the brass. In my younger crazy days I have routinely picked out pieces of brass from different Ruger #1's with tweezers. Complete head separation was the norm. Same with a couple older NEF's that I have had.
    One gun,the SURVIVOR model,chambered in 308Win would shoot a 30cal carbine 110gr at 3775 from the 22" OEM. (That is with the extractor spring removed and extractor silver soldered in place.)
    I know . . . SOME CRAZY SHEET HUH.
    PLEASE GUYS - -> DO NOT TRY ANY OF THE ABOVE CRAZYNESS. IT IS DANGEROUS UNLESS YOU ARE A CRAZY MF like I "WAS". ----- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The big bore and higher pressure shooters are few a far between now.
    When I first got into reloading (IIRC,1980) it was all about reloading for hunting ONLY. My only long gun was a Win Mod 70 XTR chambered in 7mm Rem Mag.I got it on a trip back home when we stopped in Lajes,Azores. Air Force exchange (naturally) had a great supply of firearms and got the gun for $240. or so.
    About 1984 I dove into the >40cal guns. 45-70,458 Win Mag,etc,etc. Why ?? Had time on my hands,liked to tinker,loved to expierament,and kinda/almost missed the bang,booms,thumps,and sore body parts.
    However age does something to you that I could never explain to the younger crowd.
    Reloading for any chambering in any platform,can be extremely rewarding. ESPECIALLY NOW.
    I SAY - -> buy a gun just to initially reload for. Do not buy a gun then immediately start whining about the AVAILABILITY and COST of ammo. To me,that seems kinds dumbass.
    My expierance with reloading has been spread across many years and at one time or another involved many chamberings. Guessing,about 40. At one point in my life I actively reloaded for 16 or so different chamberings,in many different actions,in pistol,revo,and long guns,including shotgun.
    The hobby is safe,rewarding,and can be cost effective. ESPECIALLY nowadays,for some of the "different" chamberings that some of us own.
    I have a buddy that has a grand daughter. She fell in love with his older Ruger Mod 788 chambered in 308Win. He chopped the stock and bbl,and reloads a Barnes 110gr TSX to 1500fps. She kills a deer or two every year with this gun/load combo. Some at >150 yds.
    Get to it guys(and gals). ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Relizeing this is a short,non bottle necked case,stiil,using mt NECO concentricity guage (measures bullet runout) the findings are phenomenal.
    The Hornady 200gr FTX are 0.000-0.001". The Hornady 245gr Spire Points are 0.001-0.003".
    Precission Reloaders - - -> accuracy problems ?? Get yourself a concentricity guage. ---- SAWMAN
    20210718_065613.jpg
    20210718_065808.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Re. the above Trail Boss load. - -> I shot three shots then forgot that I had not cleaned the bore (for bbl break in) in the last 8 shots,so I pulled a BORE SNAKE thru twice,then shot the 4th shot which is the POI to the far left. Then shot the last shot which fell into the main group.
    UNBELIEVEABLE ACCURACY from a chopped16.5" single shot. Better than anyone elses gun - - -> RIGHT ??
    Anyone up to a 450B challenge ?? This could possibly involve MONEY. --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I' m falling deeply in love with the 450B James.
    Doing tons of reserch on it,including reloading.
    If any 450B shooter needs help or advice,please PM me.
    We can try out your loads at my club. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes sir. That is them in the above pic on the right two rows of my ammo box.
    Lemme see if I can find a pic for you. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sorry sir .... the labled pic is the 250gr XTP at a medium+ book load.
    The unlabled group is the INTERLOCKS with the same load.
    The orange dot is 2 inches. --- SAWMAN
    20210811_103916.jpg
    20210810_100701.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The cheek riser on this gun IS PERFECT as is the angle/profile of the trigger. Completely different than a NEF HANDI. SCOPE FRIENDLY--- SAWMAN
    20210810_085211.jpg

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    These are for my strong action CVA. Should be ok for any AR - -> HOWEVER,DUPLICATE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    These loadings will be shot tomorrow.
    The bullets come in a 10 pack with sabots for use in a 50cal M/L.
    A friend in Maine happened on these at a "SAVE A BUCK ED's" type store for $3.99ea. He bought all they had. IIRC,he told me 45 packs of them.
    He gave me 80. ---- SAWMAN
    20210819_070001.jpg

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    These are for my strong action CVA. Should be ok for any AR - -> HOWEVER,DUPLICATE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    These loadings will be shot tomorrow.
    The bullets come in a 10 pack with sabots for use in a 50cal M/L.
    A friend in Maine happened on these at a "SAVE A BUCK ED's" type store for $3.99ea. He bought all they had. IIRC,he told me 45 packs of them.
    He gave me 80. ---- SAWMAN View attachment 128238
    Should have got it when I saw it at mardens just went through my head when you said save a buck Ed's.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Us 450B shooters can also use different .451-.452" bullets.
    Speciality bullets from Makers,Lehigh Defense,and others are available. Some offer bullets with the nose profile (meplate) being very pointy giving a elevated B.C. However seeing that most of you guys are running the AR platform,feeding and mag length could be a problem.
    The guys running bolt guns have a mag that will accept a rather long COAL so,you should be good to go.
    For the most part,these "speciality" bullets aint cheap. But sight it in ..... then one shot one kill.
    Keep your eye on Walfart towards the end of M/L season. They usually have their Power Belt series on sale. A few years ago they had the 245gr Aerotip and the 295gr HP on sale for <$8.00 per pack.
    And don't forget you 500S&W,50Beowulf,etc shooters,they have on sale the .500" bullets also. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Marden's is where my buddy in Maine swooped up all those Horn 250gr (.452") SST M/L bullets that he sent me 80 of.
    Got 'em loaded,waiting to shoot them. ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Will be loading and shooting the Lehigh Defense 135's this week. Will chrono the loads.
    My thought - -> start out with a full chg of TRAIL BOSS. Then ... something fast. Most likely AA#9. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

eglinhunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Thanks for all the information. I just ordered the Sheridan case gauge. I picked up a Brenton AR in 450BM and plan on reloading for it. I've reloaded 454 and 444 but the 450 sounds a little more tricky. I'll be reading a lot more before I start reloading for it. Do you recommend an particular dies for the 450BM or any to stay away from?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dies - -> Most everybody makes good dies nowadays. And they all work the same.
    The dies that I use are the Lee brand. Some years ago they were "rough" to say the least. Now they are more refined a look "finished".
    I bought these as a set,including shell holder. It comes with the included (pictured ) reloading info. Tons nore info can be had from the Hodgdon site.
    I would reccomend these dies and I have owned them all. Most of my dies now are RCBS and Redding.
    I really wish someone would come out with a carbide set.
    Your reloading will be a bit more complecated than mine. My 450B is a single shot CVA HUNTER with bbl cut back to 16.5 inches. Your gun has several things to take into consideration. Mainly - -> mag length,positive extract/eject,BCG being blown back far enough to pick up the top rd from the mag,inertia bullet pull,COAL to properly fit chamber/throat.
    IMO - - -> once you get everything tweaked with the AR,you should be fine. If I had a 450B AR it would have a highly adjustable gas system to shoot the sub stuff. Not for the sound thing but for the fun thing.
    I can shoot any bullet down to about 750fps if I choose to. FUN !!
    Any additional help or advice needed please do not hesitate to ask. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Consider using Lil' Gun powder instead of H110. (2500 with a 225gr - -> WOW !!)
    20211020_070622.jpg
    20211020_070756.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom