Welcome to Gulf Coast Gun Forum

If you are in or near the Gulf Coast this is place for firearms buying/selling & discussions.

Register Log in

Reloading for the 450 Bushmaster . . .

SAWMAN

Master
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Do your dilligent reserch into action strengths before sneeking up on any load >SAAMI.
In the past I have approached loads in several different chamberings that were 3,000-7,000psi above book/manufacturer MAX.
First of all,you get ZERO SUPPORT from manufacturers of powder,bullets,or the weapon. I have done this mostly using the RUGER #1 actions,one old MAUSER action,and several different NEF Handi Rifle actions.
I believe that this CVA action is every bit as strong as a NEF action. However,now older,wiser,and not having "as much" need to tinker,I will not push the power levels.
However,if the 450Bushmaster is rated at 38,500psi, in my action,NOT A BOLT GUN and DEFINATELY NOT a AR,given the small primer pockrt,somewhat thick web design,it is probably capeable of "SAFELY " reaching 42-45K psi.
In a Ruger #1,Mauser,or a well fitted NEF/Encore/CVA action,the weak point would be the brass. In my younger crazy days I have routinely picked out pieces of brass from different Ruger #1's with tweezers. Complete head separation was the norm. Same with a couple older NEF's that I have had.
One gun,the SURVIVOR model,chambered in 308Win would shoot a 30cal carbine 110gr at 3775 from the 22" OEM. (That is with the extractor spring removed and extractor silver soldered in place.)
I know . . . SOME CRAZY SHEET HUH.
PLEASE GUYS - -> DO NOT TRY ANY OF THE ABOVE CRAZYNESS. IT IS DANGEROUS UNLESS YOU ARE A CRAZY MF like I "WAS". ----- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
The big bore and higher pressure shooters are few a far between now.
When I first got into reloading (IIRC,1980) it was all about reloading for hunting ONLY. My only long gun was a Win Mod 70 XTR chambered in 7mm Rem Mag.I got it on a trip back home when we stopped in Lajes,Azores. Air Force exchange (naturally) had a great supply of firearms and got the gun for $240. or so.
About 1984 I dove into the >40cal guns. 45-70,458 Win Mag,etc,etc. Why ?? Had time on my hands,liked to tinker,loved to expierament,and kinda/almost missed the bang,booms,thumps,and sore body parts.
However age does something to you that I could never explain to the younger crowd.
Reloading for any chambering in any platform,can be extremely rewarding. ESPECIALLY NOW.
I SAY - -> buy a gun just to initially reload for. Do not buy a gun then immediately start whining about the AVAILABILITY and COST of ammo. To me,that seems kinds dumbass.
My expierance with reloading has been spread across many years and at one time or another involved many chamberings. Guessing,about 40. At one point in my life I actively reloaded for 16 or so different chamberings,in many different actions,in pistol,revo,and long guns,including shotgun.
The hobby is safe,rewarding,and can be cost effective. ESPECIALLY nowadays,for some of the "different" chamberings that some of us own.
I have a buddy that has a grand daughter. She fell in love with his older Ruger Mod 788 chambered in 308Win. He chopped the stock and bbl,and reloads a Barnes 110gr TSX to 1500fps. She kills a deer or two every year with this gun/load combo. Some at >150 yds.
Get to it guys(and gals). ---- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
GCGF Supporter
Reaction score
Relizeing this is a short,non bottle necked case,stiil,using mt NECO concentricity guage (measures bullet runout) the findings are phenomenal.
The Hornady 200gr FTX are 0.000-0.001". The Hornady 245gr Spire Points are 0.001-0.003".
Precission Reloaders - - -> accuracy problems ?? Get yourself a concentricity guage. ---- SAWMAN
20210718_065613.jpg
20210718_065808.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Sponsors

Holsters
3rd Coast
Top Bottom