• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Yeah red flag laws I agree are bogus. And I think the same is everywhere about domestics. I think the cops are liable if they leave both parties there and bad stuff happens later. Having the option to leave I think is a good thing tho. If they lock you up I think they need proof of some sort a crime occurred, or they can be sued yet again. But if they made a Bakers act type law and maybe required a mental health professional tag along and evaluate people that are reported to be mentally ill I think would be a better option than all the red flag nonsense that fixes nothing

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Yeah but I’m pretty sure it was already illegal to make those kinds of threats - before red flag laws.

Actually - it is not. I can request a mental health check and the court may put him in a 3 day evaluation.

I could get a restraining order - but it involves multiple states and is a real pain in the ass.

I spoke with a few attorneys and they said to just avoid him and try to get someone to warn me if he isn’t seen for a while.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I could get a restraining order - but it involves multiple states and is a real pain in the ass.

It sounds like you are in favor of a Red Flag law based on the fact that it may be "easier" - I hope I'm misunderstanding your position. :)

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’m as pro gun as they come and I would have used “red flag laws” when a family member wanted (and threatened in writing and verbally) to kill me and my kids - on multiple occasions.

Guiding a client right now to get an arrest accomplished across state lines with a non family member who made the same threats over the phone. Other clients in the past have gotten "threateners" prosecuted under existing laws. It can be done.

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The purpose of Red Flag Laws is:

a) to intimidate the Left's political opponents away from public speech lest they draw attention to themselves for red flag raids.
    Arguably this is likely the primary reason.
    How many people on this board already take care to minimize doxing? This makes us less effective at organizing.
    How many folks hold back with speech? This makes us less effective at messaging.
    Now image that times ten.. this is what red flag laws are intended to accomplish for team Tyranny
    b) to motivate their political base by giving them a sense of empowerment to terrorize their fellow citizens.
    c) And being as rsiky as SWAT raids are to the target, for those times when Red Flags laws DO result in the murder of a citizen by LEOs they can point to it and say "See we told you he was dangerous. That means these Red Flag laws work!"
    This right here. I don't know if anyone uses Reddit, but the new tactic from the left there is to report anyone with opposing views to r/redditcareresources. This is the message I got after voicing my opposing views. This is the very mindset and danger we are facing with red flag laws.

[–]from RedditCareResources[A] sent 1 day ago

Hi there,
    A concerned redditor reached out to us about you.
    When you're in the middle of something painful, it may feel like you don't have a lot of options. But whatever you're going through, you deserve help and there are people who are here for you.
    • Text CHAT to Crisis Text Line at 741741. You'll be connected to a Crisis Counselor from Crisis Text Line, who is there to listen and provide support, no matter what your situation is. It's free, confidential, and available 24/7.
    If you'd rather talk to someone over the phone or chat online, there are additional resources and people to talk to. Find Someone Now
    If you think you may be depressed or struggling in another way, don't ignore it or brush it aside. Take yourself and your feelings seriously, and reach out to someone.
    It may not feel like it, but you have options. There are people available to listen to you, and ways to move forward.
    Your fellow redditors care about you and there are people who want to help.
    If you think you may have gotten this message in error, report this message.
    To stop receiving messages from u/RedditCareResources, reply “STOP” to this message.

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we have the right to do what and say what we want as long as it doesn't infringe on others rights always been that way ,but if you are making threats or acting stupid you have already crossed the line
    will there be abuse of the new law we all know the answer to that
    we all know there are some people out there that should drive let alone have a loaded firearm
    so as always understand the law get used to it and be prepared

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    This Pre-crimes fortune-teller fuzzy-math guesstimate mentality will Cause WAY MORE harm than good.

There are too many things wrong with the way these Gestapo-informant laws are written.

A black bear normally just wants to be left alone. What happens if you corner it, and threaten it? What happens if you surprise a mom with her cubs around? None of those situations end well for all involved. And NONE of them were the bear’s fault.

“Red Flag 2AM SWATing” is like actively seeking out black bears to mess with...

Piss poor tactic, and only the ignorant or the evil would advocate for it.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Bad news....I'm pretty sure the VA is being pushed to get involved in screening also. By the MANY questions they asked today, lots more than usual, about spousal and family member conflicts, thoughts about hurting someone or yourself etc.. approximately 20 questions on the subject.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bad news....I'm pretty sure the VA is being pushed to get involved in screening also. By the MANY questions they asked today, lots more than usual, about spousal and family member conflicts, thoughts about hurting someone or yourself etc.. approximately 20 questions on the subject.

Gathering the info to be used against you, as needed. Absolutely disgusting that they would use the VA to compile info to assist in whatever dubious schemes can be created.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why I won't use for anything other than free glasses. Thanks me for my service ;)

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why I won't use for anything other than free glasses. Thanks me for my service ;)

Heck they'll be asking you those on eye exams too, I bet.

Sir, are you still able to see the sights on your firearms?

Thank you for your service!

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This Pre-crimes fortune-teller fuzzy-math guesstimate mentality will Cause WAY MORE harm than good.

There are too many things wrong with the way these Gestapo-informant laws are written.

A black bear normally just wants to be left alone. What happens if you corner it, and threaten it? What happens if you surprise a mom with her cubs around? None of those situations end well for all involved. And NONE of them were the bear’s fault.

“Red Flag 2AM SWATing” is like actively seeking out black bears to mess with...

Piss poor tactic, and only the ignorant or the evil would advocate for it.
    If you were to implement red flag laws, why wouldn't it require an investigation before taking the step of removing firearms from people on a long term basis? As in who is making this claim and why? What is the actual mental state of the person who is the subject of this claim? Is the claim valid? None of these questions seem to be even on the table within the scope of these laws. Obviously the answer is, because they don't want to ask those questions. They just want a way to get around the 2nd Amendment and remove guns from people without due process.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    why wouldn't it require an investigation before taking the step of removing firearms from people on a long term basis?

Well, one only need to look at great literature for a lot of life's answers.

From Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland trial of the Knave of Hearts

“Let the jury consider their verdict,” the King said, for about the twentieth time that day.

“No, no!” said the Queen. “Sentence first—verdict afterwards.”

“Stuff and nonsense!” said Alice loudly. “The idea of having the sentence first!”

_____

And so it is.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Heck they'll be asking you those on eye exams too, I bet.

Sir, are you still able to see the sights on your firearms?

Thank you for your service!
    With hand guns, yes. Using progressive lenses, it's better than without. I can also get by with low-powered readers, but you have to get used to the sights being clear and the target blurry. All of my had guns have fiber optic front sights, too. I may one day have to switch to red dots on hadguns, but I'm resisting as best I can. Rifles now require scopes for me. Something about the distance between the iron sights just no longer works for me. I could battle sight up close, but accuracy/distance requires a scope. Shotguns with a fiber optic bead are just fine. Most times even without glasses.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With hand guns, yes. Using progressive lenses, it's better than without. I can also get by with low-powered readers, but you have to get used to the sights being clear and the target blurry. All of my had guns have fiber optic front sights, too. I may one day have to switch to red dots on handguns, but I'm resisting as best I can. Rifles now require scopes for me. Something about the distance between the iron sights just no longer works for me. I could battle sight up close, but accuracy/distance requires a scope. Shotguns with a fiber optic bead are just fine. Most times even without glasses.

Sounds like you are where I was a few years back. Mine is worse now--much worse.

Legally blind uncorrected and they can't get me back to 20/20, plus some astigmatism which of course is worst in my shootin eye. My fiber on my Benelli is about useless now. Trijicon I have mounted on it gives me 2-3 dot images (plus halo) due to astigmatism. Missed 3 of last 4 turkeys I shot at and I know this is part of the reason. Trying a Burris FF 4, and it seems to be a bit better, but not perfect. Primary Arms has come out with a line of products with adjustable diopter which is probably my next move.

I can "get by" with rifle irons, if I have a rear peep. I really need (and use) a scope on all rifles now. Totally sucks.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like you are where I was a few years back. Mine is worse now--much worse.

Legally blind uncorrected and they can't get me back to 20/20, plus some astigmatism which of course is worst in my shootin eye. My fiber on my Benelli is about useless now. Trijicon I have mounted on it gives me 2-3 dot images (plus halo) due to astigmatism. Missed 3 of last 4 turkeys I shot at and I know this is part of the reason. Trying a Burris FF 4, and it seems to be a bit better, but not perfect. Primary Arms has come out with a line of products with adjustable diopter which is probably my next move.

I can "get by" with rifle irons, if I have a rear peep. I really need (and use) a scope on all rifles now. Totally sucks.
    Yeah, my vision seems to have stabilzed where it is so I'm going to take advantage of it as log as I can. I cycle through the peep sights, and it really pained me to scope my lever actions, but the altenative was letting them go. Nope. Not yet.

Top Bottom