• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Comparing an Aimpoint and a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X24 and the reason why I leaning towards a Trijicon vs A vortex PST 1-4 is because it doesn't require any batteries. If I get an Aimpoint it will be the Comp M4 with that extremely long battery life.
    This firearm will be my go to for anything and everything, will be one I train with and so forth. Do y'all prefer a red dot or a variable power scope on an AR? If so why? If you prefer a variable optic such a 1-4 is it just as easy to acquire the target vs something like an Aimpoint? All information is welcomed.

Last edited:

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hard to go wrong with any of them. Some food for thought, things that don't require a battery are attractive until you need to shoot them in low light or dark. Then often times they are less than ideal in an already less than ideal situation.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I have both, you're welcome to run by my place and check them out mounted if you want. PM me.
    I'll say this:
    It depends on the mission. It all comes down to eye relief and magnification. The red dot is the easiest to use and fastest up close due to its unlimited eye relief, but has no magnification, while the scope has limited eye relief, with variable magnification. Some scopes like Trijicon and Leupold 1-4's are not a true 1x at the bottom end. Vortex Bushnell and Burris are a true 1x though. If your shooting will be slow and accurate, you need magnification for best results, if it'll be speedy, a red dot is best, but don't expect cloverleaves at 100 with a red dot. A 1-4 can be used like a red dot, but if not a true, 1x, it can things feel dizzy with both eyes open, and if when you shoulder at speed, you don't have your eye relief already dialed in so that your cheek will hit the sweet spot, it'll slow you down.
    So, if you hunt bad guys, or race at 100yds or less, red dot. If you're a general plinker, a 1-4 will give you the best of both worlds, especially if you have any experience with an ACOG. I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys and I appreciate it, I have limited experience with the ACOG and a lot with the Army's CCO M68 (Aimpoint Comp M4). Never looked at it in those aspects especially at night. Looks like I will be running an Aimpoint.

Dan and TeenJeep thanks for the invitation on inviting me to look at them I appreciate it.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If I could only have one, it'd be a red dot, but I prefer the Micro, yes the battery will only last 5 years as opposed to 10, but the looks and weight savings are worth it IMO.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I could only have one, it'd be a red dot, but I prefer the Micro, yes the battery will only last 5 years as opposed to 10, but the looks and weight savings are worth it IMO.

Those Micros make an AR look a little bit more sexy lol Reason why I am opting for the Comp M4 since it is my go to is I can find AA batteries everywhere and something ever so happened I have an optic I can possibly find a power source to.... Not paranoid but crap is getting worse by the day.

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Red dots are good for short range only. Some red dots are 6 MOA. At 100 yards, your target is gone. Learn to use a Scope, with whatever reticle you choose.

Rapier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Red dots are like all scopes, they come in all manner of quality and dot sizes. The major problem with a red dot is canting, when you concentrate on the dot you can not tell that whether or not the top of the gun is level, side to side. If you are going to mount a red dot for distance shooting you should also mount a level across the top of the rings. A 2 MOA dot is good on a rifle out to 300 meters with a ring level mounted. Shot one for about 10 years in competition. Trijicon makes a red dot that does not take a battery and auto adjusts to ambient light when you pull the cover off. However like most things Trijicon you pay for the convenience, the MSRP on that one is $600+. I have several versions of red dots including the Trijicon that I spoke of and two Gilmore 2 MOA dots. Perhaps my actual favorite day type scope reticle is the plain center, mill dot extensions outwards, in black, with a lit red dot center that is not visible until you turn it on. With a good quality scope you have everything in one package except an NVG.
    Ed

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom