Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    may have been asked before doses anyone do it and doses it stay on target

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Yes and Yes. But I suppose it depends on which red dot you have or buy. I would only buy quality for EDC applications.They are very accurate once dialed in and hold zero.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    The bad thing about the good ones is they are costly. Most of the cheaper reflex type sights do not have an auto turn on feature which renders them useless in a self defense situation. Keep that in mind when you are looking. I have a couple burris fast fires that I thought had an auto feature, but they do not.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I've been running red dots on a ccw for a few years now and have no intention of going back to irons as the benefits outweigh the cost of a quality red dot. You don't have to spend a fortune on one either, I'm currently using a $265 Holosun 507c x2 (has a solar panel) and the glass and emitter are just as clear as my RM06. There's a metric ton of information out there on the subject.
    What pistol do intend on running a dot?

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Devils advocate....

While I agree there are benefits to the red dot(just like on a rifle) there are some down sides and the utility is diminished when you consider the distances involved in most (not all) defensive engagements. Cost, bulk, batteries, training are all things to consider.

It's the cool thing to do but isn't necessary. Personally, I didn't see much benefit for aiming until past 15yds. Much more precise and as long as you present the weapon properly, the dot is easy to see.

This is the way.... maybe.

Sgump

Broke gun enthusiasts
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I know last line he ask what I intend to put a red dot on

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Up front - guess I am too old and set in my ways as I prefer sights. Serious questions I have are what about when it is raining or misting, or going from an air conditioned environment to an a hot muggy one?

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Devils advocate....

While I agree there are benefits to the red dot(just like on a rifle) there are some down sides and the utility is diminished when you consider the distances involved in most (not all) defensive engagements. Cost, bulk, batteries, training are all things to consider.

It's the cool thing to do but isn't necessary. Personally, I didn't see much benefit for aiming until past 15yds. Much more precise and as long as you present the weapon properly, the dot is easy to see.

This is the way.... maybe.

When perfectly aimed, my dot sits right on top of my sights as a co-witness! The Shield sight is always on and dims or brightens perfectly on the ambient light! Will go about 2-4 years on a battery! Just set a date and change the battery no matter if needed or not. But this one allows use of my irons without the dot as well. What I like is the fact that I have a much broader area to look through and "aim" per se and be on target. I have timed myself and I am much quicker from draw to putting a bullet on the target with this red dot set up. Might not be for everyone. But I'm sold for sure!

flow

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I would think if you needed to pull your weapon it would be a point and squeeze situation. Idk that you would have time to aim? If someone was holding a knife to my kids throat I'd be kicking myself about not having a red dot but I'm also not in a movie lol

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Up front - guess I am too old and set in my ways as I prefer sights. Serious questions I have are what about when it is raining or misting, or going from an air conditioned environment to an a hot muggy one?

I have not had it in the rain or mist. But going from hot to cold or vice verse has done nothing to the sight in my experience. But that is just for one brand and model I have!

Cjprall90

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I’m running a Sig 365 XL with Romeo 0 only 500 rounds so far and has held zero plus its shake awake so it helps with battery life , I always said I’d never run glass on a Ccw until I tried it , don’t know if I could go back now lol . All a personal preference whatever your comfortable with

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Off the cuff, no one comes to mind who can mill a slide for a Ruger Security, I'm sure google could cover that though.
    As far as all the potential negatives of a dot gun well...I know from previous courses I've taken, you can cover the optic with blue painter's tape and still hit generally close(within 6") to your intended target within 15 yds. Would that ever happen in a civilian situation? Probably not, but we could "what if" anything. There's a reason many LEO and MIL agencies are moving to rds handguns. I still have iron sight handguns and love em but the advantages of the rds are enough to be considered. But this isn't really the OPs concern...

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    When perfectly aimed, my dot sits right on top of my sights as a co-witness! The Shield sight is always on and dims or brightens perfectly on the ambient light! Will go about 2-4 years on a battery! Just set a date and change the battery no matter if needed or not. But this one allows use of my irons without the dot as well. What I like is the fact that I have a much broader area to look through and "aim" per se and be on target. I have timed myself and I am much quicker from draw to putting a bullet on the target with this red dot set up. Might not be for everyone. But I'm sold for sure!

If your sights are lined up and the dot isn't on them... one of your sight systems is messed up or you've got different POI for each of them.

Like I said. 15yds(my experience)and further the precision makes it much easier to see what you're shooting at instead of covering it with your irons. BUT statistics indicate you're not likely to be taking long distance shots in a defensive situation(outliers can be a bitch though). You can scenario whatever you want and buy whatever you think you can afford so that you can take out Hans at the Nakatomi Christmas Party.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Not for me. I see the benefit in competition and such but I'll stick with night sights on carry guns. Less bulk and less to worry about.

Top Bottom