• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anangrypasta

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Hey guys, looking for recommendations for a nice semi-automaric clay shooting shotgun. Would need to be in 12 gauge since that's my stock. Currently running a Rem870 or Winchester 1911 depending on how I'm feeling, and decided I want to get something a bit nicer and more optimized for sporting clays. Looked at the Afinity 3 and am leaning towards that, but anyone have recommendations under a grand?

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Franchi is great. Remington 1100. Over/unders are popular as well. Any good hunting gun will do.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A step down from the Franchi, but no slouch, is the Stoeger M3K (24", around $650). I don't shoot clays, so not sure if it fits the bill. I like mine... bought with the short tube and extended it to 9 + 1, since the factory 10 + 1 sticks out past the choke tube! : )

https://stoegerindustries.com/shotguns/m3k-series

Attachments

• M3K.png
      M3K.png
      134.5 KB · Views: 64
    Last edited:

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Beretta A400 for a dedicated clays gun you don't plan on totin' a bunch, if your budget allows.

Research both the Retay and Impala lines before you buy the Affinity.

Buy heavy gas guns for clays or stationary hunting, dove, duck blind, etc.

Buy light inertia guns if you are walking, quail, pheasant, etc. or chasing gobblers.

I am a Benelli inertia gun guy, but there are some good lower priced clones on the market today. I travel to SoDak to hunt pheasant and walk crop fields and creek draws and a couple of pounds on a gun is significant.

Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    A step down from the Franchi, but no slouch, is the Stoeger M3K (24", around $650). I don't shoot clays, so not sure if it fits the bill. I like mine... bought with the short tube and extended it to 9 + 1, since the factory 10 + 1 sticks out past the choke tube! : )

https://stoegerindustries.com/shotguns/m3k-series
    I owned an m3000 and it shot well, but I would not want to shoot 100+ rounds through it at a time. Inertia gun.

It really all depends how the gun fits you. They are all different. Some can beat you up while they don't bother the next person. A Beretta or a Browning are good choices around the 1k mark, but I love my Remingtons. Softest shooter I own is a V3. It has less kick than my 1100 20ga. Pop 150rds out and never know you've shot it.

TriStar are decent on a budget and come with a 5 year warranty. I don't like shopping there, but Walmart sometimes has them in stock around 400 bucks.

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I prefer the Beretta AL1 ,AL2 ,301-303 They are all basically the same gun and more less Just a fancy Remington 1100. (Gas system is different)The AL1 Started back in the mid to late 1960s And the ones they're making now are not a whole lot different. The Browning B80 is a Beretta 302. All these guns are lightweight and low Recoil. And can be found at a good price on the used market. The AL2 being the prettiest of the lot.

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    On a Budget, Hatfield SAS12 would be great! Low Cost, Reliable, and Accurate.

freetheeagle

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    +1 on what J pace said if your budget is limited to $1K. The Beretta 300/AL series were some of the most reliable gas guns ever built. The 390/391’s are good choices as well. 391’s are popular and it is unlikely that you will find one that cheap but you may come across a 390 within your budget.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not sure if an issue where you shoot but most places you have to pick up spent shells! With a semi auto, you have to go chase them. 100 rounds is a lot of chasing!

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Not sure if an issue where you shoot but most places you have to pick up spent shells! With a semi auto, you have to go chase them. 100 rounds is a lot of chasing!
    No fun washing dishes after a good dinner, either. Lol. Santa Rosa has magnets at all the clay to help pick up spent shells.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You will need to purchase quality ammo for that shotgun, but with the savings you can afford good ammo.

Mine cycles Winchester AA, but will not cycle the cheap stuff.
    Probably similar to my Stoeger M3K, which recommends:

"Note: always use ammunition that is powerful enough to fully cycle the action. Minimum recommended load 1 oz shot / 3 drams of powder."

Top Bottom