• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've been wanting a full size revolver in 22LR or a while, and have been holding out for a Smith 617. But not really finding anything in stock or at a reasonable price. So what do you have experience with that I should look at? I'd like to stay close to the 10 rds, and 5" barrel or longer.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Old High Standard Sentinels hold 9 rounds and can be found for less than $300.
    The Ruger Wranglers are $200 but hold only 6 shots.

Boardfeet

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Bought this from a neighbor that was moving away several years ago for $300. It sat in the safe for a few years and a trapper friend asked if I had a .22 pistol he could borrow until he found one. I loaned it to him and he used it on his trap line for a season. Curiosity got the best of me and I posted it on the S&W forum to see what it is and what it’s worth. Turns out it is a Beckeart revolver made in the 1930’s or so and worth over 1k. It is very accurate.
    Not for sale though. I would look at the Ruger if I was in the market for a new one. Great value for the price.
    7E8C6326-D157-47FB-9777-81BBA5BA8BCE.jpeg
    4295FB3B-2868-4F0D-9ABF-9D7976867CD9.jpeg
    F016E207-6728-4204-A6ED-E3CA0B4494AA.jpeg

rkflorey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Taurus model 94 , SS, 4 or 6 inch barrel. Just a little touch up on the trigger and... It's no 617 by along shot, but I paid $300 for it new and it is accurate and the trigger isn't bad

DGladden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Taurus model 94 , SS, 4 or 6 inch barrel. Just a little touch up on the trigger and... It's no 617 by along shot, but I paid $300 for it new and it is accurate and the trigger isn't bad
    I absolutely love my Taurus 94, but good luck finding one anywhere near $300 anymore.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm not against a Taurus revolver, got a 44 and 357 that have never caused me any issues. I did think about a Taurus, but again they are hard to find at a decent price right now. I'll probably just wait this out until prices and availability line up for a 617 as that's what I really want. I have a lot of semi's I can try to scratch the itch with I guess.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been wanting a full size revolver in 22LR or a while, and have been holding out for a Smith 617. But not really finding anything in stock or at a reasonable price. So what do you have experience with that I should look at? I'd like to stay close to the 10 rds, and 5" barrel or longer.

Gone Crazy, your 22LR Revolver should match the Revolver in your duty belt. Hold out until the two shall meet. JMHO.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I had the 10 shot 6" barrel Smith about ten years ago and I was not happy. I found myself subconsciously preferring to carry other less suitable caliber revolvers because of their size, and it was ungainly in a CCW holster, backpack, console and glovebox. I traded it off and a few years later (and a half dozen other 22lr's later) I found myself a 10 shot 4" barrel Smith. I love it. Never been happier. I don't shoot it at 50 yards, so no difference in accuracy to me, and the shorter barrel made all the difference in it pointing fast and being handy and holstering comfortably

Last edited:

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A High Standard Sentinel if you run across one.

Don't overlook a Charter Arms, either.

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Top break H&R...
    That interests me, I'll have to look into that more.
    They are smaller framed, kit gun size. If you're not comfortable with the Wranglers you may not like the H&R either. They are well built and well designed. However, they made a material change to the main spring strut that failed after a while. The good news is you can purchase a metal replacement strut from Numrich. Their replacement strut is better than the original that came with the gun. In addition, it's an easy fix.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom