• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spanky8178

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it possible to modify the chamber on a .223 rifle to shoot 5.56mm? Rebarreling is not an option as it's too expensive. The rifle brand new is gonna cost less than $190. I just want something to tinker with? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have,along with another member of this forum,shot literally thousands of SS109,M193,M855,and others out of 223Rem marked bbls. Including simi auto's,bolt guns,and single shots.
    Not reccomending it . . . Just saying it. --- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good article, your cost (plus shipping) is at the bottom.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Just a matter of time before someone chimes in with . . . "Why don't you just get a 223Wylde.
    I say - - -> Don't do it . . worst of both worlds. ---- SAWMAN

DGladden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The Savage Axis actually has a .223 Wylde chamber. It can safely shoot any commercial 5.56 on the market. This is directly from Savage. I bought one several years ago and emailed Savage customer service. They told me that shooting 5.56 was perfect fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: FLT

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sooooo . . your saying that Spanky (the OP) was unaware that the gun he had was a Wylde chamber.
    Is that right OP ?? --- SAWMAN

DGladden

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sooooo . . your saying that Spanky (the OP) was unaware that the gun he had was a Wylde chamber.
    To elaborate on my statement. I initially contacted Savage about the chamber specs because they mark them as simply ".223", but I found discussions on various forums that they were actually. 223 Wylde. Savage custom service informed me that they are in fact Wylde cut chambers, but they decided to label them simply .223 to avoid confusion for people who had never heard of that term. The one I had was a 1st gen Axis and was in fact only marked "Cal. 223". It did not elaborate as to Remington or Wylde.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    To elaborate on my statement. I initially contacted Savage about the chamber specs because they mark them as simply ".223", but I found discussions on various forums that they were actually. 223 Wylde. Savage custom service informed me that they are in fact Wylde cut chambers, but they decided to label them simply .223 to avoid confusion for people who had never heard of that term. The one I had was a 1st gen Axis and was in fact only marked "Cal. 223". It did not elaborate as to Remington or Wylde.

He’s just baiting you because he’s bored. Pay no attention, he feeds off of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Not quite!

Savage uses a chamber that isn't quite a Wylde, but has a throat long enough to handle heavy for caliber bullets.

I have seen many people that have actually measured and it's not EXACTLY a .223 chamber according to the EXACT specs! So my guess is they built a little dummy proofness into it!

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hold my beer and watch this, I’ve been shooting 556 in a 1967 sako L461 bolt action rifle for years with no problems as of yet . I haven’t shot anything over 62 grains and it groups them pretty well. Rest assured no matter how safe a gun is built someone will figure out a way to break it.

Top Bottom