Target Sports

Recent Bullpup 10/22 Build - Turned out really nice!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flipparker

Student of Life
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I started with a brand-new Ruger 10/22. Put it into a Desert Tech, Trek-22 bullpup chassis that I custom ceracoted a really cool black/green color. I added some automotive green pearl to black ceracote to make it really pop, and wow does it ever, pics don't do it justice. I added a Timney drop in trigger (really cleaned up the bullpup trigger-slop) and Keystone 20" twist-fluted, threaded barrel. All in all, this was a super nice build, no hassles and everything fit really well. Trigger feels nice and all is as it should be, cannot wait to get to the range to test her out. Really interested in accuracy with it being a chassis type setup and the rail being a separate part from the action/barrel. I will post up once I get a report on the accuracy when I can. Either way, this one was a lot of fun and turned out really nice.

Attachments

• IMG_6518.JPG
      IMG_6518.JPG
      429.1 KB · Views: 139
    • IMG_6516.JPG
      IMG_6516.JPG
      416.9 KB · Views: 141
    • IMG_6519.JPG
      IMG_6519.JPG
      403.8 KB · Views: 140

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    You did it!

How bad was the trigger without that Timmy?

flipparker

Student of Life
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have to be honest, it was not something I could find acceptable. I am a bit of a trigger snob but the 10/22 factory trigger is already tough to swallow. With the bullpup conversion, I would have to say that I find it a needed upgrade to this build. Again, I am a serious fan of 10/22s and as such require them to meet a standard once built. This one now exceeds that standard if it proves accurate. Hope this help ya.

flipparker

Student of Life
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The grey color (I left it on the handle and buttpad) was awful on the rifle as a whole. I had to do something to change that, but all in all this was a very well done kit.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've only owned standard 10/22s (probably four of them), but never was happy with the accuracy, which I blame primarily on the barrel attachment method. Now if the scope mount was attached to the BARREL, I believe that would be an improvement.

BUT THEN, I bought a .22 Charger (non-takedown) a couple of years ago, which was the recent purchase that most exceeded my expectations (HEY! I had a bunch of 10/22 mags laying around, so... : ) In 45 minutes, I had it almost matching what I could do with my Precision .22 LR that took a YEAR to dial in, which makes NO SENSE... semi-auto PISTOL vs. bolt action TARGET RIFLE?!? OK, MAYBE the scope was iffy on the Precision, but there were other challenges as well...

Of course, now Ruger has the 10/22 Competition models... MSRP over $1000 in stainless! But that additional top barrel bolt (plus the rear bedding block) should be an improvement over the "hanging barrel" of the conventional ones, I just haven't heard any impressions from anyone that has one.

Photo of the Charger attached, though it's with the funky original bipod which is now history : )

Attachments

• Charger_Loadedweb.jpg
      Charger_Loadedweb.jpg
      454.2 KB · Views: 69
    Last edited:

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Beautiful build! I look forward to hearing how it shoots! Looks like it will be a tack driver!

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Love it. But no left hand model, I called them. Resembles the kt rdb hunter a bit. Hopefully it does well. How do you pull it apart for cleaning?? Like other bullpup designs the scope poa/poi may shift after reassembly. The RDB has the scope mount rail attached to the barrel. Solving the issue I have with the Walther G22 and the EAA Appeal.
    Look forward to the report, following.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I've only owned standard 10/22s (probably four of them), but never was happy with the accuracy, which I blame primarily on the barrel attachment method. Now if the scope mount was attached to the BARREL, I believe that would be an improvement.

BUT THEN, I bought a .22 Charger (non-takedown) a couple of years ago, which was the recent purchase that most exceeded my expectations (HEY! I had a bunch of 10/22 mags laying around, so... : ) In 45 minutes, I had it almost matching what I could do with my Precision .22 LR that took a YEAR to dial in, which makes NO SENSE... semi-auto PISTOL vs. bolt action TARGET RIFLE?!? OK, MAYBE the scope was iffy on the Precision, but there were other challenges as well...

Of course, now Ruger has the 10/22 Competition models... MSRP over $1000 in stainless! But that additional top barrel bolt (plus the rear bedding block) should be an improvement over the "hanging barrel" of the conventional ones, I just haven't heard any impressions from anyone that has one.

Photo of the Charger attached, though it's with the funky original bipod which is now history : )
    Short rigid barrel.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Does it work??
    Tried it on a whim first because the factory hider blew off after about 80 rounds (it was drilled oversize before they threaded it). Ended up swapping back-and forth between a factory hider and the megaphone about 20 times... lowered the POI, but invariably tightened the groups with all kinds of loads.

Immediately after the last full takedown and cleaning, I tested with two 3-shot groups @ 100 yds. with the LPVO, one with its favorite ammo (Hornady Superformance Match 5.56 75 gr. BTHP), and one with Federal bulk .223 55 gr.; literally TWO EXTREMES.

The Hornady made a 7/8" group with TWO in ONE figure-8 hole, and the Federal made an under 3" group with ONE shot WITHIN the Hornady group. The AVERAGE of the two groups was 1/4" off DEAD-CENTER. Since this is not a long-range precision platform, my goal has been getting a good AVERAGE POI with a variety of loads, and that's what it DOES.

Note that the 7/8" group was not a "best of twenty" or something like that. I tore it down (including scope R&R), put it together, got on my prone bench (bipod and adjustable block under the pistol-grip, but not in a SLED), and SHOT it... FIRST group. I don't have a lot of that Hornady, and I've shot enough for proof, so I don't waste it : )

Just a couple of weeks ago, I ran a 5-shot group @ 100 yds. with the thermal for the first time in six months, this time with generic Remington .223 55 gr., and the first shot was only 1/4" off dead-center, with the remaining 4 shots within the 4" square (actually two hand-warmer packets taped to the board)... so, all 5 shots in a baby rabbit @ 100 yds. in the PITCH DARK : )

Again, I only shot ONE GROUP, since I ALREADY KNOW what it can do. I was just confirming that the thermal was returning to zero after R&R. I can swap between the LPVO and the thermal with NO NEED for re-zero, having gone back-and-forth enough times to get everything settled.

And note that I BOUGHT (or actually, traded two derringers for : ) the Mini with NO ILLUSIONS. It was intended only to fill the "5.56 AK" niche, but I am MORE THAN happy with it.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I owned a mini for a long time and never heard of the Cobray Megaphone. Nice! I get to check “learn something new” off the list early today!

I sold mine when I purged the safe, and I admit there are times I miss the aesthetics. Even though it was was only a 4 MOA rifle with the best ammo it didn’t suffer from any reliability problems like some do.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    The grey color (I left it on the handle and buttpad) was awful on the rifle as a whole. I had to do something to change that, but all in all this was a very well done kit.
    I like the color you picked. Can't wait to see how it does at the range.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I owned a mini for a long time and never heard of the Cobray Megaphone. Nice! I get to check “learn something new” off the list early today!

I sold mine when I purged the safe, and I admit there are times I miss the aesthetics. Even though it was was only a 4 MOA rifle with the best ammo it didn’t suffer from any reliability problems like some do.
    Yep... mine seems to do 3 MOA with generic/bulk ammo, but the good stuff DOES do better. AND it has never missed a beat with anything. Actually, a recent 10-shot group with M193 did 3 MOA discounting one flyer (6 of 10 in a 2-inch target dot @ 100 yds.),and INCLUDING the flyer... which was the FIRST, cold shot of a quick-fire test, all aimed dead-center... it was still only 3.5 MOA, so...

Rebel moved this discussion over here:
    https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/conversations/cone-fh.286760/

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Let us know when you get some 100 yd. data on that thing... I've had my eye on the Desert Tech setup : )

Top Bottom