• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Even reloaders like myself are feeling the pain. How has your range time suffered since the plague of idiocy started last year? I know a lot of people stocked up long before hand, but even those of us who did that were used to shooting 500+rounds per weekend are looking at dwindling supplies and cut down on family range time considerably.
    379ad946875fc9a718905ce64d59f360.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

War-Buff

What ... Me Worry?
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I feel your pain and that of others, but personally, I have enough factory ammo, handloads and loading components on hand to continue shooting for more years than I probably have left to live. I still have projectiles, primers & powder I purchased 30+ years ago in massive quantities, as well as more recent purchases that were still well below the recent 'pre covid' price levels, and packages of bulk brass that I've never even opened. I feel badly for folks just getting into shooting and/or hand loading but I have no good solution for them.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Range time has not suffered. Old enough to have been through and learned from shortages of the past. On the other hand, if reloading something new to me, some items could be in short supply. For example, I’m using a lot of Unique powder in rolling blocks. Just did inventory and calculated at my current rate of consumption, I have enough Unique through this year.

The shortage of items has prompted me to see about using up odds and ends. Yesterday I loaded up the remaining 3 lbs of WC846. Today I started reloading the ~400 pulled 130 grain Hog Hammer 30 cal bullets I no longer use for hunting and will use them for plinking. So, in a way, prompting me use use up odds and ends and “save” the good stuff is a positive.

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    My range time has shrunk a bit, but I'm still getting out. I planned pretty well during the run up to obummers re-election and stocked up. Recently got a whole bunch of reloading supplies at a really good price so I'll be set on .38 and .357. My kids keep me from the range WAY more than ammo... Being a Dad is priority 1!

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've gotten into air guns, myself. My home and self defense ammo is sufficient for keeping the guns ready and on target. I can't trust myself to be frugal with what used to be a day's worth of .22lr, so I took a baby step by getting a Crosman C02 pistol. Now it's a happy member of my shooting family, and gets plenty of trigger time, and accessories, to boot.
    The cost of getting started was low enough to justify spending more....and more......you know the story.

Attachments

• 20210417_190216.jpg
      20210417_190216.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 86

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have plenty of ammo but can't help to think every time a 9mm or 5.56 casing hits the ground its $0.50- $0.85 to replace it. Need to get that confiscation going to solve the problem I suppose.
    Ammo supplies are getting back though. Price has dropped a little, maybe 20%.
    The ammo shortage has taught me how to push .22lr out past 300 yds.

Reactions: sj1

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I still shoot, and I still take my kids. What got me was adding another caliber and teaching my daughter to shoot and reload. We went from 7k primers to now 1500 primers. Went from the 5 of us going to the range and shooting 500-700 rounds a weekend to going once a month and shooting maybe 350 or so. Only taking one magazine for the autoloaders helped, and shooting a lot more from the revolvers to slow things down. Got my youngest a .22 and he's been chewing through ammo as well. Still got a couple thousand .22lr, but wondering when I'll be able to get more for a reasonable price, especially with my daughter staying college in the fall and expenses going up with that.

Leebo180

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I still shoot, and I still take my kids. What got me was adding another caliber and teaching my daughter to shoot and reload. We went from 7k primers to now 1500 primers. Went from the 5 of us going to the range and shooting 500-700 rounds a weekend to going once a month and shooting maybe 350 or so. Only taking one magazine for the autoloaders helped, and shooting a lot more from the revolvers to slow things down. Got my youngest a .22 and he's been chewing through ammo as well. Still got a couple thousand .22lr, but wondering when I'll be able to get more for a reasonable price, especially with my daughter staying college in the fall and expenses going up with that.

I have some primers, and 22lr and the ability to order 22 still pretty reasonable.

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over the last few years I've shot a lot less also. First because my wife got badly sick and we were taking the 5+ hour ride to the hospital in Gainesville every 3 weeks, took lots of time and money over the first 3 years of her illness. Now she's doing good but ammo prices are keeping me away from the range too often. I do have a few thousand rounds of most of the calibers I have but don't want to go through it too quickly.

That being said I got into (or more correctly, back into) airguns a few years ago and shoot plenty with them. Good quality ammo is very cheap and fairly plentiful. One of the great things about them is whenever I have a half hour or more I can go outside and shoot. I also have 2 lower powered models that I can shoot in the house on rainy days. I've been amazed at the accuracy out of a few of my guns. One hole 5 shot groups are common. Maybe I just haven't spent enough on my regular firearms but I don't have anything that comes close to the airguns when It comes to accuracy.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over the last few years I've shot a lot less also. First because my wife got badly sick and we were taking the 5+ hour ride to the hospital in Gainesville every 3 weeks, took lots of time and money over the first 3 years of her illness. Now she's doing good but ammo prices are keeping me away from the range too often. I do have a few thousand rounds of most of the calibers I have but don't want to go through it too quickly.

That being said I got into (or more correctly, back into) airguns a few years ago and shoot plenty with them. Good quality ammo is very cheap and fairly plentiful. One of the great things about them is whenever I have a half hour or more I can go outside and shoot. I also have 2 lower powered models that I can shoot in the house on rainy days. I've been amazed at the accuracy out of a few of my guns. One hole 5 shot groups are common. Maybe I just haven't spent enough on my regular firearms but I don't have anything that comes close to the airguns when It comes to accuracy.

My range time has also suffered since my spouse has become disabled. Yet I can currently find able stocks of Military Caliber Rounds, the New Hunting Rifle in 30-06 alas has become an albatross. 9mm,45 ACP, 223/5.56, & .308/7.62 x51 are all readily available in thousand round lots. YMMV

Leebo180

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    My range time has also suffered since my spouse has become disabled. Yet I can currently find able stocks of Military Caliber Rounds, the New Hunting Rifle in 30-06 alas has become an albatross. 9mm,45 ACP, 223/5.56, & .308/7.62 x51 are all readily available in thousand round lots. YMMV

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    12hrs a day at work sometimes Saturday too. Life gets in the way more than the ammo concern. If I had time to shoot I'd waste it's, so it's good I don't have ample free time. I'd be at the range every other day.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I’ve cut way back until ammo is readily available.
    I’ve got plenty but who knows what’s coming?
    If it comes down to a civil war I would feel pretty stupid having spent all my ammo punching holes in paper.

Top Bottom