• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robert4570

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey Guys,

I am fairly new to shooting, so please keep that in mind as you read through this question. Yesterday i was at the range shooting my new Springfield M1A and My New M&P 10. I have had these 2 rifles for about 2 years but until yesterday had never shot them. Everything went fine in terms of shooting, however as i was packing up to leave: "I picked up the rifle and took it to the back of the range" that is the rifle barrel was no longer pointing "Downrange". I did this twice (same rifle) and the range safety officer came in an told me "Not to move the rifle from downrange to the back of the range".

In this case back of the range means the window that looks into the store. Where as downrange is of course the backstop.

I know the rifle was not loaded as i was out my allotted ammo, however and setting that aside, and here is my question:

How bad of a mistake was that? To move the rifle to back range/window and load it into my case?

Sorry if this question is stupid but i want to make sure i understand the range safety requirements.

Thanks,

Robert

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You must follow the rules of the range and of the range safety officer. How bad was it, what are the rules of the range where you were shooting will answer that question? Check the rules and answer the question. My answer may sound a little harsh, but...........

robert4570

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it. In this case that was a violation of the ranges rules, and one i don't intend to make again. I was just trying to get a feel for how common a mistake like that might be.

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Thanks for the answer. I appreciate it. In this case that was a violation of the ranges rules, and one i don't intend to make again. I was just trying to get a feel for how common a mistake like that might be.
    Was the range hot or cold ( were there people on the line ) when you moved your rifle ? Range rules are there for the safety of everybody , and accidents do happen . Some Range Safety Officers are more regimented than others . I think he was just doing his job . I hope you had a great time . Stay safe .

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    4 rules always.

Range rules based on the range but expect all of them to be more restrictive than The Four. I've seen varying degrees of handling limitations based on hot vs cold range etc.

You'd think The Four would be enough but...... they aren't for a large part of the "general" public.

sparky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Bolt open, magazine out, safety on,casing the weapon prior to departing the range shouldn't have been an issue.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    At my range (PRPC) while the range is COLD,can we simply pick up a firearm and immediately secure it in a case on the bench ?? ---- SAWMAN

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Bolt open, magazine out, safety on,casing the weapon prior to departing the range shouldn't have been an issue.
    I know , but a lot of times the RSO will wait till everybody is finished, call “Range cold “ visually safety check etc. all weapons for safety , then let people pack up. change targets etc. Some may even cover safety procedures in a speech before commencing shooters on the line .

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Great,best of intentions ..... BUT ..... nobody touches my weapons unless invited to ..... RSO or not. ---- SAWMAN
    I understand completely and agree . In my experiences the RSO is visually checking the action , mag out, slide back , or cylinder open , etc . and firearm pointed in a safe direction . I have never seen an RSO take a weapon without being asked . They usually ask you to clear weapon or ask if you need assistance . Civilian of course . Military is indeed different !

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    I'm still unclear on what went down. I've packed up my weapons and left on a hot range without issue.
    Different ranges have different rules. Sounds like none of the 4 basic ones was broken, so its just that particular range/ RSO that had an issue.
    OP was wondering how bad of a mistake it was. :)

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Why not pack on the bench? Keep it pointed downrange the entire time, until it’s safely encased and you can grab the bag by the handles and walk away.

robert4570

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Were you pointing the barrel in an unsafe direction? I'm just not sure I follow, but I would have asked that specific officer what the proper handling is.
    So yes, the range was hot and there were other people at the range. So in that regard pointing the barrel anywhere but down range was in an unsafe direction.

robert4570

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why not pack on the bench? Keep it pointed downrange the entire time, until it’s safely encased and you can grab the bag by the handles and walk away.
    That is the correct course of action and the step i missed until otherwise told.

robert4570

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i was close on this. the rifle wasnt loaded, nor was it charged, and my finger was no where near the trigger. so at least there is that.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    So yes, the range was hot and there were other people at the range. So in that regard pointing the barrel anywhere but down range was in an unsafe direction.
    If the range was cold you'd still be handling it the same manner, correct? I shoot on private property mostly, so I'm not textbook on all range rules. All the times I go I always keep my barrel pointed downrange or down and then loaded in a bag. Never had an issue leaving a hot range. Did get hit one time for not having the cylinder open on a 38 one time when called cold.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I don’t do static public ranges anymore, but I have no problem with that rule. Plenty of people have been shot by “empty” guns. Treat every weapon as if it’s loaded. But hey, we weren’t born range rats.
    Lesson learned.
    Good on you for at least getting out there and shooting.

robert4570

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I don’t do static public ranges anymore, but I have no problem with that rule. Plenty of people have been shot by “empty” guns. Treat every weapon as if it’s loaded. But hey, we weren’t born range rats.
    Lesson learned.
    Good on you for at least getting out there and shooting.
    Thanks. First time I ever shot a rifle, so I would hate for this to have gone bad for me (or anyone else). I think I should take this as lesson learned. like suggested, follow the range rules (all of them) and get some formal training on firearms. Most of this is self-taught. research etc.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom