• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For training courses, especially in this region, Heat Stress SOPs are important. I would need to review it myself since I have forgotten a lot of it. All shooting organizations should have SOPs to deal with it.
    The remarks on the clothing were interesting. I know for hot environments I have always preferred cotton over synthetics myself that is opposite of what is being recommended. I will look further into it. If you work where electrical arc flash is likely, synthetics are worse then being naked, especially for underware. If an arc sets your clothing on fire they will not only burn, but will sort of shrink wrap as they burn causing causing skin damage much worse than will cotton and for underwear that includes your sex organs getting shrink wrapped. But then again here we are talking about heat stress and not electrical safety.

What I did on one range that I more or less had to myself in maryland that was sort of a hole without any wind circulation was to try to minimized the clothing. I found out that a shirt was absolutely needed because an ejected hot .22 shell casing will stick to the skin of a sweat plastered torso raising a blister. What I ended up doing was finding a mesh synthetic shirt that while it had a large mess size, would still prevent the shells from sticking to the skin. The enlarged mesh allowed the sweat to flow and cool. I would routinely on my week ends fire 500 rounds of .22 in pistols and a 10/22. It did improve my speed on multiple targets.
    Being in good physical shape is also smart. The men in the video are over wt and that is often not a good combination for heat stress.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Good info Lee, hope all is well.

Congrats on your recent Instructor Certification from Dave Spaulding.

I've given many classes in the summer months and (knocking on wood) we have had no heat related issues. I keep a very close eye on everyone regardless of age and physical characteristics in an effort to stay ahead of problems.

Consistent breaks during training, hydration, and leaving the ego at home are important to successfully training during peak summer days.

A good reminder now we are headed into the hotter months...

jlw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good info Lee, hope all is well.

Congrats on your recent Instructor Certification from Dave Spaulding.

I've given many classes in the summer months and (knocking on wood) we have had no heat related issues. I keep a very close eye on everyone regardless of age and physical characteristics in an effort to stay ahead of problems.

Consistent breaks during training, hydration, and leaving the ego at home are important to successfully training during peak summer days.

A good reminder now we are headed into the hotter months...

Thank you, sir.

Top Bottom