• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Very first time taking my new Ruger Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39 to the range. First let me say that I am not all that good a shot, and my range equipment is not all that good either. OK, there are my excuses, lol. Ammo used was brass cased Laupa that is 15+ years old. The rifle did good. The stock is made out of cheap plastic, and it feels cheap. After figuring out the mag release the mags released without any problem. These targets were shot at 25 yards. Next week I plan to sight it in at 50 yards where I will leave it. I had other guns to sight in so once I got it good at 25 yards I moved on to the other guns. The "flyer" on the first target was not a flyer, but taking a shot to start adjusting the scope. The first target is five shots, the other two targets are three shot groups. The scope is a Burris 4X Compact Short Mag.
    The gun worked flawlessly, without any problems at all. Overall I am very happy with its first time at the range and I am looking forward to next week when I will get it sighted in a 50 yards. I really think that the bad rap that 7.62x39 gets concerning accuracy is due to using cheap ammo. This Laupa ammo did great. Overall, a successful day at the PRPC.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpeg
      IMG_0567.jpeg
      3.1 MB · Views: 132
    • IMG_0569.jpeg
      IMG_0569.jpeg
      4 MB · Views: 136
    • IMG_0573.jpeg
      IMG_0573.jpeg
      2.4 MB · Views: 111
    • IMG_0574.jpeg
      IMG_0574.jpeg
      4 MB · Views: 109
    • IMG_0576.jpeg
      IMG_0576.jpeg
      4.1 MB · Views: 113
    Last edited:

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    I haven't looked too much into this model but the 223 uses ar mags. Does this rifle take ak mags?

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That looks like some good groups for that cartridge.
    I've been trying to get my hands on a CZ 527 for quite a while now. I don't know of anyone else other that CZ, Howa Zastava and Ruger that makes a bolt action 7.62x39.
    Are you going to try steel cased ammo to see what it does?

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    That looks like some good groups for that cartridge.
    I've been trying to get my hands on a CZ 527 for quite a while now. I don't know of anyone else other that CZ, Howa Zastava and Ruger that makes a bolt action 7.62x39.
    Are you going to try steel cased ammo to see what it does?
    Yes. I want to get it sighted in good with the good stuff and then see what the difference is with the other ammo out there. I plan to do a lot of testing, mostly just to have fun doing it.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I used to like 7.62x39 because it was cheap to shoot. Now at $0.50 per round for steel cased I can't say it's cheap. I still like it, I think of it as the problem child that most don't like. AK's weren't exactly known for accuracy. The steel cased ammo made sure of that. I guess I like seeing the potential of steel cased ammo.
    Looking forward to your report and maybe I'll be able to get my hands on one soon.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I will definitely report back when I'm able to shoot some steel case in it. I'm also finding that 4X scope a little limiting. I'm thinking that a 3X9 scope may be on order soon. It never ends, lol.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    I used to like 7.62x39 because it was cheap to shoot. Now at $0.50 per round for steel cased I can't say it's cheap. I still like it, I think of it as the problem child that most don't like. AK's weren't exactly known for accuracy. The steel cased ammo made sure of that. I guess I like seeing the potential of steel cased ammo.
    Looking forward to your report and maybe I'll be able to get my hands on one soon.
    .50 cents? Ha.... today at acadamy.

Attachments

• 20211007_113851.jpg
      20211007_113851.jpg
      3.2 MB · Views: 96

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    .50 cents? Ha.... today at acadamy.
    69.82125 cpr, or just say .70 cents per round with tax for steel cased .223 TulAmmo. The world's gone mad. Of course, don't forget that Biden has just recently banned the importation of all Russian ammo into the US. That's why it's going up. When it's gone, it's gone.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Looks great. Would be a good NV yote and hog gun. You can get 196gr subs too. Somebody on here had some for sale. Looking forward to more reports! Steel case!!
    I got my x39 subs at Gulf Coast Guns on 90 in Milton. I let them go to a buddy of mine who turned around and put them on his table at the gun shows. See them at the next show.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yep, 9mm and x39 are no longer the cheaper alternative. My last 9mm was .20 cpr at Academy. Wonder if we will ever see those prices again?
    Negatory ghost rider. Inflation, then lack of raw materials and labor will can that idea.

Last edited:

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I just acquired a Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 a couple of weeks ago. I had 250 rounds of 123gr SP that I loaded back in the Clinton days just sitting around, SO I needed a new gun! I put a Vortex Diamondback 2-7x35 on it. I shot my hand loads, Tula, Wolf, and Sellier and Bellot. All of them shot a 1" group at 100 yards. The rifle is just about the perfect size and weight for woods carry and tree stand use for shots at no more than 150 yards. Very light recoil and you can find extra mags if needed. There are you tube videos of a guy who goes by "Who tee Who" and he shows the rifle in action with steel cased ammo. Very pleased can't wait till hunting season.

Top Bottom