• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Light82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I seen someone selling RAD-78L (7383) for $10/lb and was wandering if anyone has had experience with this type. I am seeing mixed reviews online and people are saying it’s temperamental with certain loads. With the current scarcity and price of powder I figured it was worth asking some questions.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I and friends have used it for cast bullet loads in .308 and 30/06 size cases in the 1500-1700fps range. Leaves unburnt powder in barrel, but caused no accuracy or pressure problems. The loads we used came up to or at the bottom of the base of the bullet with no powder compression. Used it in .308, 30/06, 7.5 Swiss, and 7.5 French. Gives off a unique smell/stink when fired. Paid $3 per pound. Between three of us, we have 5-6 jugs of it left. Used up several jugs...we bought “some quantity” as the price was right! Figured we’d find a use for it and we did. Don’t know if anyone was brave enough to try full power jacketed loads...I never did...only used it for cast rifle bullets. This reminds me, I ought to try some loads with it, as I’ve now gotten back into cast bullets after loosing all my casting stuff in a house fire 13 years ago. I have two seven pound jugs of the powder.

Light82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been into reloading for about two years now and self taught from books, so I’m still learning. What kind of differences could be expected between cast bullets and others when using powder like this? I’ve heard that this kind of powder’s pressure ramps up at the end, so I would expect a cast bullet to be more forgiving in regards to pressure build up. I usually use benchmark for my 223 and 308, but could this powder be a good alternative?

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    I do not think it is great for a full power jacketed load. Here’s why: in its original use and design for the 50 cal spotter round, the max pressure was 38,000psi. Any modern jacketed rifle round is gonna be much higher in pressure to achieve normal performance, thus one is trying to use it at a higher pressure than designed for, thus there could be trouble, thus the mixed reviews you read. Moderate cast bullet loads are gonna be around 20-25,000 psi, thus no high pressure problems, but the unburnt powder since it is being used at less pressure than designed for bothers some people...it’s posed no problems for the cast bullet shooters. This is my opinion.

Note: many of us call it Lincoln log powder as the size of the grains is big. It does not play well with a scoop or powder measure and needs each charge weighed.

If you really want some, I know a person local that may sell his, as he’s not found a use for it so far.

Last edited:

Light82

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well said, and I have my answer. Sounds like something I’ll want to pass on.

Top Bottom