• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Doing some thinking and wondered if anyone has any experience with running a 9mm suppressor equipped with a recoil piston (or Nielsen device) on a .22 rifle?

I know makers sell direct thread adapters for such equipped pistols to allow for use on a fixed barrel, but I wonder if it would affect cycling of a .22 semi-auto rifle in installed with the recoil piston installed?

Seems to me it would not matter; the rifle does not need the boost and the caliber difference should eliminate the movement of the piston that aides the pistol.

Any experience or thoughts are welcome.

Chan4201

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Really shouldn't make a difference unless the barrel is moving. Nielsons normally have stiff enough springs they wouldn't move without recoil

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rimfire ammo is filthy. Most rimfire suppressors can be disassembled for this reason. Yeah you will be fine for a few rounds but I wouldn’t put a few hundred of .22 through my 9mm can.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    I'm with jhunter. 22 and a sealed can don't jive to me. Few rounds probably not an issue. Would cake up over time. I have seen posts from guys saying that higher power shots through after shooting the 22 will clean the debris out but I've never seen evidence of it. Too much of a risk involved with it being an nfa item.

Little Jack

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Normally the high pressure gas is going to push the can longitudinally against the spring in the booster away from the muzzle, then it's going to get pushed back by the spring tension to it's original position. On a fixed barrel, it's still going to do that but whatever energy is there is going to go direct to the shoulder/threads on your muzzle end without any recoil to dampen it. Not sure if 22lr has enough pressure to actually make that happen and if it did, not sure if it's going to be enough energy to matter. Also not sure how many rounds/cycles it'd take for any damage to occur if it is ever going to.

As mentioned, 22lr is going to get the can dirty faster but if your 9mm can comes apart, it's not a big deal.

If you look on the googs, you can find a post/video that will confirm whatever opinion you subscribe to.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I ran a few thousand 22 through a user survivable 9mm can before I got a dedicated rimfire can. It ran fine with the spring instead of the fixed barrel spacer, and I only know this because I’m a moron and forgot to change it out once or twice. I wouldn’t do it with a high pressure round, but 22 nbd. Everyone else is right about it being dirty af, make sure it’s serviceable and be prepared to spend some considerable time cleaning or look into “the dip”.

RackinRay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    All my suppressors are user serviceable so cleaning not a biggie. I was just thinking and it seemed it would not matter for if you must, or just in case, use.

Thanks for the inputs.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    All my suppressors are user serviceable so cleaning not a biggie. I was just thinking and it seemed it would not matter for if you must, or just in case, use.

Thanks for the inputs.
    Sounds like you're golden. It may not be as quiet on a DB meter with the larger bore on the suppressor but it could be negligible to the ear.

Top Bottom