• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohica793

Master
    I know most of you are shooting 9mm for IDPA matches. Is anyone using .45ACP (1911) or is this considered too heavy for the matches?

Dan1612

Master
    I've shot 45. The founders, mostly 1911 nuts: Larry vickers, bill wilson and ken hackathorne, saw that the 1911 45 would be at a speed disadvantage, so they created a division specifically for 45 1911s called CDP. Meaning if you shoot a 1911 45, you really only compete with others shooting 45 1911s.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    you'll be at no disadvantage at all. In fact, the main man that has been winning most of the matches this year shoot CDP with his 1911 nighthawk .45. It's all us guys with the plastic guns can do to keep him in check!lol

Dan1612

Master
    Theoretically though, for the same shooter, a 45 will be a little slower It takes a little longer to regain your sight picture and you'll have to reload a little more compared to the boys running 10 9mm rounds in a mag vs your 7 or 8

I'm building up a 9mm 1911 for the games. Best of both worlds IMO., should be a little faster bad a little cheaper to run and practice with. We'll see

Blue

Shooter
    Oh and you're going to reloading more frequently also. Which leads to a slower time as well.

Dan1612

Master
    Is IDPA like USPSA in that your point for A,B,C Mike are scored higher for 45 than 9?
    Not at all. You compete in different divisions depending on your pistol. In general terms, your score is your time plus half a second for each point lost due to accuracy from not hitting in the A zone. -0, -1, -3 etc. Then the threshold for classification is different depending your division, which as stated before, depends on what you shoot.
    A few of the founders actually wanted each point down to count as a second so that shooters would focus more in accuracy, but let's face it, speed is fun, but regardless, you have to find that balance.

Oh and you're going to reloading more frequently also. Which leads to a slower time as well.
    Yes, but since everyone in your division will have the same max capacity, it doesn't matter. The divisions are their way if making it fair.
    However, I've ran a stage before where, the one miss on steel at the end is the difference between reloading and not reloading if running a 1911.

Regardless, yes, your 1911 is more than welcome and the competition is fair, but at the end of the day, you're only competing against yourself.

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    IDPA scoring is based on "points down" per stage. the target has zones printed on it. the head and center chest are -0. No points are added to your time for hits in these zones. just outside the -0 zones is the -1 zone. Hits here add .5 seconds to your stage time per hit. (points are worth .5 seconds added to your time.) Outside the -1 zone, is the -3 zone. Hits here add 1.5 seconds to your stage time per hit. Misses add 5 seconds and enough of them will result in a "failure to neutralize" penalty, which is even more time added. Sounds confusing at first, but pretty simple once you see the scoring a few times. Basically, If Ian runs through a stage with 11 shots in 13 seconds and gets all -0 hits, his total time is 13 seconds for that stage. If I shoot the same stage in 3 seconds but 5 of my shots are in the -1 zones and 5 more are in the -3 zones, my total time for the stage would be 13 seconds and Ian would win. (5 shots in the -1 zone = 5 points down at .5 seconds per point = 2.5 seconds of time added. 5 shots in the -3 zone = 15 points at .5 seconds per point = 7.5 seconds of time added for a total of 3 seconds for the stage (super fast! awesome! you go!) plus 20 points down (5 in the -1 and 5 in the -3) ends up with 10 seconds of time added (ouch) for a total time of 13 seconds and the never ending torture of knowing Ian had beaten you and won't let you sleep at night knowing there's nothing you can do about it until the next match!

and as far as reloading during the stages....Most of the strings are 12 shots or less so everybody gets to reload during the stage. Sometimes the CDP guys have to reload before the ESP/SSP guys do, sometimes we all have to reload at the same place during the stage. Just all depends on how it works out. I think I've only seen one stage where the CDP guys had to reload more than once....

Dan1612

Master
    It is SOOO much fun! Forget the scores or scoring system. Just come out.

I find myself now only going to the static range much less and when I do it's only to practice a particular skill, or sight something in. The static range just isn't that much fun anymore. Idpa is THAT GOOD of fun. You'll be hooked.

Last edited:

Ardiemus

Expert
    CDP is not a 1911 only category. It is a .45 ACP only category, usually a 1911 heavy group. You could use a Sig 220 if you wanted.

Dan1612

Master
    CDP is not a 1911 only category. It is a .45 ACP only category, usually a 1911 heavy group. You could use a Sig 220 if you wanted.

Only if you ran your mags a few rounds short. IIRC. Otherwise, the sig is esp.

Ardiemus

Expert
    220s cone with a 8 rd mag, maybe a 227 would have to be down loaded.

From IDPA site

"Pistols in the CDP division must be semi-automatic, .45 ACP caliber, have a maximum unloaded weight of 42 oz. including an empty magazine. Barrel length is not directly specified, but will generally be around five inches; pistols must fit in the IDPA gun test box (see dimensions above) with an empty magazine inserted. Any action type is permissible, but most pistols used in CDP are single-action.

Note: The allowable CDP pistol weight increased from 41 to 42 oz. as of August 1st, 2010."

Dan1612

Master
    I stand corrected. I don't know my Sigs that well.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    I've shot a commander size 1911 in my first matches in IDPA. I'm still learning and I'm going to shoot a 9mm at the next match just to see the difference. I do enjoy a 1911 though, might try a Range Officer in 9mm.

bohica793

Master
    Well considering the only 9mm I own is my S&W Shield, I would be shooting this with my RIA until such time as I acquire a G19 or M&P full size. My biggest problem shooting in these right now is time. I have very little and I always seems to be on a plane when these are scheduled.

Last question: Are these "lost brass" events or can you recover your brass?

Dan1612

Master
    Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. That's what we're here for.
    Though I don't participate, there is time at the end of each stage to run around and recover your brass.

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    You can pick up your brass, may have to fight a couple guys though. Haha jk

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Well considering the only 9mm I own is my S&W Shield, I would be shooting this with my RIA until such time as I acquire a G19 or M&P full size. My biggest problem shooting in these right now is time. I have very little and I always seems to be on a plane when these are scheduled.

Last question: Are these "lost brass" events or can you recover your brass?

Shoot the Shield. No better way to practice what you carry.

You'll typically be able to come home with at least as much brass as you shot (if not more), if you try. You don't want to concentrate too much on picking up brass and skip pasting and resetting targets, though.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    I carry both, the 1911 typically more than the Shield. I figured the Shield to be too small for this as it is only 8+1 whereas everyone else would be 10+1. Or does it matter that much?

In that case, shoot either one. Technically the Shield will put you at a slight disadvantage, but I really wouldn't worry too much about comparing yourself to everyone else, especially on your first match.

I know jogan and hukdizzle shoot their XD-S's a couple times a year, just to practice with what they carry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom