Question about someone coming into your house. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Sounds pretty sketchy to me. How long from the time you heard the door slam till you had them covered? How far were they from the door and what was the distance between you and them if you don't mind me asking?

The barking dog should have told them they were at the wrong place and as others mentioned not turning on a light or announcing themselves to their "friends". Most people would crack a door sticking their head in and yell the home owners name and announce themselves in some way even if comfortable enough not to knock. If they were comfortable enough to not knock I would think that indicates they come over often and would not be so easily confused.

I'm in agreement with those saying it was likely quick thinking and backtracking thief's that found themselves on the wrong end of an AR.

Good job on having the AR with hollow points and light at the ready as well. Not that it's likely but I've always wondered the level of preparedness it would take for a home owner to survive a home invasion with multiple armed attackers like the Billing's situation a few years ago. That wasn't your case but at least you had a fighting chance if it would have been.

I don't think it gets much better than an AR with frangible bullets for home defense. It's going to hit a hell of lot harder than any handgun round, be more accurate under stress, and you have 30 rounds before needing a reload. I'm no self-defense expert but sounds to me like you handled this well. It's quite possible they were packing under their shirts as well.

How long from the time you heard the door slam till you had them covered? 2-3 seconds
    How far were they from the door and what was the distance between you and them if you don't mind me asking? 1st guy two-three feet maybe second right by the front door and the way my place is laid out as soon as you walk through the front door when you turn to your right about 20-30 feet away is my bedroom door and my bed is right behind the door so you can see everything from my bedroom.

Yeah after what everyone says about them not announcing etc. It seems sketchy to me to. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but I learned a lot from this.

Fletch

Master
    Dang so one was down the hall near your bedroom and that's the one you were 2 or 3 feet from? And the other was 20 feet back near the door? 3 feet is to close for comfort and they were already spreading out it sounds like. I'm convinced you stopped a burglary my friend.

John B.

Master
    Dang so one was down the hall near your bedroom and that's the one you were 2 or 3 feet from? And the other was 20 feet back near the door? 3 feet is to close for comfort and they were already spreading out it sounds like. I'm convinced you stopped a burglary my friend.
    Yep.

After advancing that far in the house with a dog barking, he should have known it was the wrong house.

Sent from my Galaxy S5....

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Not down the hall more like 2 feet from the door. It is kind of hard to explain without a picture hang on let me get the layout. This is laid out opposite. Here you turn to the left and see my room but mine is when you walk in you turn to your right and see my room once you enter. Purple are the men. And the door in my place is where it says front not that little space.

Attachments

• 2-13-2015 3-54-28 PM.png
      2-13-2015 3-54-28 PM.png
      9.8 KB · Views: 121
    Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    A baby with a butter knife.... yeah you probably should go.

I believe you said a little more than "a baby with a butter knife." Ticky tack to pretend that you didn't say the following:

I am going to take control of the situation, probably by having a gun aimed at your face and telling you to get the F on the ground. 8, 18 or 80. I do not care.

John B.

Master
    I believe you said a little more than "a baby with a butter knife." Ticky tack to pretend that you didn't say the following:
    Yep. I did say it. You come in to my house at night unannounced you will have a gun in your face. I don't think that's unreasonable. Never did I say I would shoot an 8 year old... I think until you can determine who and why someone is in your house uninvited, this is completely legitimate.

Don't want a gun aimed at your 8yr old, then teach them to stay the F out of someone else's house.

Brandon_SPC

Master

Just curious my question was never answered about to your comment about how you apprehended some kids and this was my questions "When you apprehended two teenagers did you have a partner? Or you just do it yourself? If they made a move that was threatening at you would you have shot even if they were unarmed but couldn't verify?" I mean throwing some situations at you that you threw at me.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Just curious my question was never answered about to your comment about how you apprehended some kids and this was my questions "When you apprehended two teenagers did you have a partner? Or you just do it yourself? If they made a move that was threatening at you would you have shot even if they were unarmed but couldn't verify?" I mean throwing some situations at you that you threw at me.

O I'm sure he had a partner all right, A Life Partner that is!!! Booom

Snow Bird

Master
    WOW what a read. I think I saw something in this thread that will make no diffrence at all. Do you think they even saw your AR with that Million Candle Power light shineing in there face?

Love these threads with shootem first and ask questions later.

I have to share something (Here we go again). While working for a compnay that sold Mobile Homes (Trash Poor People) I was sent on a service call. Banged on the door and I mean Banged and no one answered. Went in with my pass key and was in the middle of the living room and a guy comes out of a bedroom door. Now this was around noon. Thank god some of you guys weren't there or I couldn't piss some of you off. He didn't shoot me.

John B.

Master
    WOW what a read. I think I saw something in this thread that will make no diffrence at all. Do you think they even saw your AR with that Million Candle Power light shineing in there face?

Love these threads with shootem first and ask questions later.

I have to share something (Here we go again). While working for a compnay that sold Mobile Homes (Trash Poor People) I was sent on a service call. Banged on the door and I mean Banged and no one answered. Went in with my pass key and was in the middle of the living room and a guy comes out of a bedroom door. Now this was around noon. Thank god some of you guys weren't there or I couldn't piss some of you off. He didn't shoot me.
    I work in the pest control industry, my biggest fear is being shot after entering a residence. Particularly in cases where we have clearance from the owner, and they don't notify the tenants... or in condos where we have a master key.

DSPLCD1

45 GAP
    I think now that we've reached the point that someone has said that they would stick a gun in an 8 year old's face, its time for me to leave this conversation. :yield:

The Droski bows down. After 25 of 105 posts, that's not to bad, almost 1/4 of the posts in this thread. I didn't read to much of it just thought to myself Cool Story Man. By the way I am only posting this to raise my post count....

JBryan314

Master
    Only read the first half of the thread. Good thing, because it seems the few resident liberals took to their usual nitpicking and red herrings to derail and demonize.

I'll just say it sounds like the encounter went perfectly. The OP had the right tools and enough training that the situation was resolved exactly the way it should have been. Had he fired prior to the guys putting up their hands and running, I feel there is a good chance the law would have seen it as an accident. If he had fired after they surrendered and started leaving, he might be in some hot water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom