Question about someone coming into your house. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Droshki

Master
    Same here I didn't want to bug them and go into a huge report because I thought it was an honest mistake.

Then I think you just answered your original question yourself. Had you not had a light, and shot them dead, and it turned out to be an honest mistake on their part..... it may not have turned out well for you.

I know some will say, vehemently, if they are in your apartment, you have the right to kill them dead. However I don't think this is necessarily so, and its easily illustrated by changing the scenario just a little: What if they were 16 years old? 12? 6? Does the theory still hold true?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Then I think you just answered your original question yourself. Had you not had a light, and shot them dead, and it turned out to be an honest mistake on their part..... it may not have turned out well for you.

I know some will say, vehemently, if they are in your apartment, you have the right to kill them dead. However I don't think this is necessarily so, and its easily illustrated by changing the scenario just a little: What if they were 16 years old? 12? 6? Does the theory still hold true?

I thought it was an honest mistake AFTER they ran and said wrong apartment. That is why I didn't call the police. If I shot before they ran I would've never knew that. I don't think a 6 year old would be 6'2" and 225lbs and if a 16 year old and 12 year old looks like that then all I can say is damn.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    I thought it was an honest mistake AFTER they ran and said wrong apartment. If I shot before they ran I would've never knew that.

Not immediately, no, of course not.

But an investigation might be able to determine it, based on where they lived, what was going on, witness statements, etc, etc. And thats the problem, jury monday morning quarterbacking has all the benefits that you would not.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Not immediately, no, of course not.

But an investigation might be able to determine it, based on where they lived, what was going on, witness statements, etc, etc. And thats the problem, jury monday morning quarterbacking has all the benefits that you would not.

And that is where the Florida law comes in and covers me at least from what I have read.

Droshki

Master
    Well Im glad we got it all straightened out then.

Oh wait. What if they were 12, or 6 ? Still OK to shoot?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    The only thing that I am hesitant on is the fact that this happened in an apartment. I don't know the layout of your apartment, so I don't know how easy it could be to mix up the doors. I think you handled it as well as you could have.

Without a light, could you have reached a wall light? I'm trying to play it out in my head, and here is what I think I would do with no lighting in your scenario.

Come around the corner, yell "get down". At this point, a few things could happen,

Option 1. they comply, are held at gunpoint until I'm able to identify them as my neighbors who have waltzed into the wrong apartment, or LEO comes and sorts it out.
    Option 2, they do not comply, but turn tail and run away. I lock the door, call LEO.
    Option 3. They don't comply, advance, and get a severe case of lead poisoning.
    Option 4. They draw down and shoot me. Probably kill my GF as well, and steal my guns, money and TV.

Now, I am not happy with those options, particularly with option 4. But I am also not some trigger happy Rambo type person that would shoot someone who could very well have walked into the wrong apartment. As has been stated, the interview following the shooting could go either way, and God forbid if I did shoot my drunk neighbors who walked in the wrong door, I may not be charged criminally, but I can bet your ass someone would come after me in civil court.

Thankfully, I live in a house in Gulf Breeze. If you are in my house unannounced, you're in serious trouble.

If I were you, I would be trying like hell to find out who the 2 guys were. Hopefully they were just the neighbors or their idiot friends who walked in the wrong door. At this point, for all you know it was an attempted robbery by some quick thinking pussies.

If I were you, I would be making plans to move ASAP. If it was an attempted robbery, they know what you have, and know what you drive.

Another question, after this did you call LEO to document the incident?

Sent from my Galaxy S5....

And John the apartments lay out are more like town houses with a huge front porch and a fence in the front that divides the next neighbor.

John B.

Master
    And John the apartments lay out are more like town houses with a huge front porch and a fence in the front that divides the next neighbor.
    The only thing I'm concerned about is that they made it in the house, then when confronted ran away... maybe it's just me but I don't think I'd run if I thought I was in my house... idk. It just seems fishy to me.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    Well Im glad we got it all straightened out then.

Oh wait. What if they were 12, or 6 ? Still OK to shoot?

Oh wait but a 12 or 6 year old won't weigh 225lbs and be 6'2". And why would a 12 or 6 year old be out wondering the streets at 10pm. At least my father damn sure didn't let me do that at 6 let alone 12 years old.

Droshki

Master
    What if they were 4' 11" Still OK to shoot? 3' 9" ?

9 PM instead of 10?

Do you really not see my point here? Ill stop, if you really dont. My intent is not to badger you, but to get you to think a little more broadly about the subject.

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    I see what you're saying Droshki... that being said, I don't care if it's a baby with a butter knife, you have no reason to be in my house. You WILL have a gun pointed at you in a very threatening manner, and your actions at that point will determine whether you walk out under your own power.

I don't know what world you live in, but in the real world teens do break in to houses, sometimes accompanied by younger siblings. Kids do really stupid shit.

Droshki

Master
    I see what you're saying Droshki... that being said, I don't care if it's a baby with a butter knife, you have no reason to be in my house. You WILL have a gun pointed at you in a very threatening manner, and your actions at that point will determine whether you walk out under your own power.

I don't know what world you live in, but in the real world teens do break in to houses, sometimes accompanied by younger siblings. Kids do really stupid shit.

I know. I recently apprehended two of them at my rental house and turned them over to BCSO. Without killing them. :high5:

John B.

Master
    I don't know if many people remember, but about 10 years ago a kid I went to high school with in Gulf Breeze, broke in to a house and the owner shot him dead. The owner was not charged even though the kid was 17 and unarmed.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    What if they were 4' 11" Still OK to shoot? 3' 9" ?

9 PM instead of 10?

Do you really not see my point here? Ill stop, if you really dont. My intent is not to badger you, but to get you to think a little more broadly about the subject.

I see your point I don't think you see mine. Mine wasn't a 3'9" person yes if it was then I probably would think it was a child but that wasn't my situation. You are just coming up with random things now. I was personally talking about two males walking into my apartment and if couldn't identify if they were armed or not and in all reality when I had the light I still couldn't tell they just ran.

Droshki

Master
    I don't know if many people remember, but about 10 years ago a kid I went to high school with in Gulf Breeze, broke in to a house and the owner shot him dead. The owner was not charged even though the kid was 17 and unarmed.

It always depends on the totality of the circumstances. There's no sure bet either way. Thats the only point Ive been trying to make for what, two days now? lol

Brandon_SPC

Master
    I know. I recently apprehended two of them at my rental house and turned them over to BCSO. Without killing them. :high5:

When you apprehended two teenagers did you have a partner? Or you just do it yourself? If they made a move that was threatening at you would you have shot even if they were unarmed but couldn't verify?

Last edited:

John B.

Master
    I bet you'd feel real dumb as you're falling to the ground from a gunshot wound from the neighbor's kid after you found him in your house...

Like I said, I don't have a Rambo complex at all, but if you are in my house I am going to take control of the situation, probably by having a gun aimed at your face and telling you to get the F on the ground. 8, 18 or 80. I do not care. You are in my house for an unknown reason.

Fletch

Master
    Sounds pretty sketchy to me. How long from the time you heard the door slam till you had them covered? How far were they from the door and what was the distance between you and them if you don't mind me asking?

The barking dog should have told them they were at the wrong place and as others mentioned not turning on a light or announcing themselves to their "friends". Most people would crack a door sticking their head in and yell the home owners name and announce themselves in some way even if comfortable enough not to knock. If they were comfortable enough to not knock I would think that indicates they come over often and would not be so easily confused.

I'm in agreement with those saying it was likely quick thinking and backtracking thief's that found themselves on the wrong end of an AR.

Good job on having the AR with hollow points and light at the ready as well. Not that it's likely but I've always wondered the level of preparedness it would take for a home owner to survive a home invasion with multiple armed attackers like the Billing's situation a few years ago. That wasn't your case but at least you had a fighting chance if it would have been.

I don't think it gets much better than an AR with frangible bullets for home defense. It's going to hit a hell of lot harder than any handgun round, be more accurate under stress, and you have 30 rounds before needing a reload. I'm no self-defense expert but sounds to me like you handled this well. It's quite possible they were packing under their shirts as well.

Fletch

Master
    Forgot to mention, while not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night I think under the castle law you would have been justified in shooting them. Glad you didn't have to though. I would hang a Jury before I convicted someone under those circumstances.

Droshki

Master
    I think now that we've reached the point that someone has said that they would stick a gun in an 8 year old's face, its time for me to leave this conversation. :yield:

John B.

Master
    I think now that we've reached the point that someone has said that they would stick a gun in an 8 year old's face, its time for me to leave this conversation. :yield:
    A baby with a butter knife.... yeah you probably should go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom