Question about someone coming into your house. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbulls

Marksman
    The light and the fact that they shit their pants and ran away saved the intruders, not Brandon.

Whether the intruders were there by accident or because they were there to actually do harm does not matter, he would have been well within his rights to defend himself, his GF and his home with deadly force. You have no duty to retreat in Florida.

The law assumes that if someone enters your home unlawfully, whether they are armed or not, they are there to do harm to the lawful occupants and lethal force is justified. That justification ends though when they threw up their hands and ran away.

Last edited:

FUPAGUNT

Master
    Can't tell you what would happen but if someone comes in my door uninvited, theyre gettin smoked. I not about to wait around to see about his intentions. Guess it would be left up for the jury to decide.

Who knows if those two were really looking to do something to yoh or your family that day. They could a freaked when they saw the AR and made that excuse quick. I'd watch your ass imo

Seanpcola

I don't think I can say for sure what I would do in that place but I've had some startling situations. I was unarmed but my first instinct was "identify". I can see where you can argue that time is of the essence but I don't think I can pull the trigger until I know who it is. I've got some very powerful flashlights placed around my house. I can always reach a light source.

bigbulls

Marksman

bigbulls

Marksman
    Vmax vs NXT vs FMJ through dry wall, dry wall and gel, etc

I posted it just to demonstrate how proper .223 home defense rounds are safe options in an urban setting like an apartment

oneshot

Master
    I can see there are lot of people that needs to attend a good ccw class are a good self defense class, looks like the gun show ccw class didn't cover and a set down class didn't do either, Just getting your ccw don't do it. I will put up and offer a Free use of force class for GCG form members and invite any other Instructor on the form to help. Just my 5 cents jj

Brandon_SPC

Master
    I can see there are lot of people that needs to attend a good ccw class are a good self defense class, looks like the gun show ccw class didn't cover and a set down class didn't do either, Just getting your ccw don't do it. I will put up and offer a Free use of force class for GCG form members and invite any other Instructor on the form to help. Just my 5 cents jj

Would a CCW class explain about the laws of people breaking into your or coming into your house?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I would think use of force in your home is not a part of the CCW as we all have the right no matter if we have a CCW or not

Action

Expert
    I believe the statute reads enters unlawfully AND forcefully. Not or. Food for thought. If they are a threat because of some reason you see fit and can articulate then that's a different story.

Last edited:

flyandscuba

Master
    Good grief - this is being over analyzed...

Bottom line - someone came into your house uninvited. If you had a "reasonable" fear (which you did) for your safety/life or that of other welcome people in your house, you would be completely justified in pulling the trigger.

Don't worry about what caliber or over penetration. You grabbed what was readily available in the few seconds you had to react. Since 75% of all rounds launched in self defense in police shootings never hit their intended target - over penetration is a moot point. You should expect no different if you have to shoot in self defense, no matter how well trained or proficient you might be.

Having a flashlight (weapon mounted or independent) is a wise choice in order to identify the target.

You reacted "reasonably" in my opinion - and showed great restraint. I don't buy the "I went into the wrong apartment excuse", they just didn't expect to be challenged... You had a gun readily available when you needed it.

Good job.

bigbulls

Marksman
    I believe the statute reads enters unlawfully AND forcefully. Not or. Food for thought.
    If two men open the door and are well inside your home did they not forcefully enter?

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

Seems to me this scenario certainly qualifies.

Bottom line - someone came into your house uninvited. If you had a "reasonable" fear (which you did) for your safety/life or that of other welcome people in your house, you would be completely justified in pulling the trigger.

Don't worry about what caliber or over penetration. You grabbed what was readily available in the few seconds you had to react. Since 75% of all rounds launched in self defense in police shootings never hit their intended target - over penetration is a moot point. You should expect no different if you have to shoot in self defense, no matter how well trained or proficient you might be.

Having a flashlight (weapon mounted or independent) is a wise choice in order to identify the target.

You reacted "reasonably" in my opinion - and showed great restraint. I don't buy the "I went into the wrong apartment excuse", they just didn't expect to be challenged... You had a gun readily available when you needed it.

Good job.
    Amen!

Last edited:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    I am really wondering what would have happened it you had not confronted them w a weapon...actually I don't want to know...Be watching your Six!

poff09

Marksman

Good job.

+another

I thought I was missing something...other than not locking the door I don't see the problem..I think we could all use extra training..however..he had enuf wits about him to grab his gun (who cares what kind) with a light and "politely" asked y they were there..if he made news for killing 2 people this might b a different story but he showed constraint

I also don't buy the "wrong aptmt"..I hope u have a safe now that they know u collect

Good job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

Expert
    If two men open the door and are well inside your home did they not forcefully enter?

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
    (b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

Seems to me this scenario certainly qualifies.

Amen!

There are so many ways to look at this. Say it's the drunk neighbor that just walked through the door drunk and you shoot and kill him. Cops show up and you say the guy walked through my unlocked front door and I shot him. No officer he didn't say or do anything but he was in my house so I shot him. You have a problem.

Shitbag that was only lying about wrong house. Find out he was there to rob or steal. You got luck with no problem.

Or officer I was afraid because he charged at me blah blah blah. No issue.

What I'm trying to say is that one person walking through the door that's unlocked isn't forcefully entering and you need a tad but more in my opinion of the law. But what I do agree with is that I would keep an eye out for the dude and lock my door.

Droshki

Master
    Wow! Lots of people with law degrees on here tonight. I never knew...... :blabla:

Droshki

Master

There are so many ways to look at this. Say it's the drunk neighbor that just walked through the door drunk and you shoot and kill him. Cops show up and you say the guy walked through my unlocked front door and I shot him. No officer he didn't say or do anything but he was in my house so I shot him. You have a problem.

Shitbag that was only lying about wrong house. Find out he was there to rob or steal. You got luck with no problem.

Or officer I was afraid because he charged at me blah blah blah. No issue.

What I'm trying to say is that one person walking through the door that's unlocked isn't forcefully entering and you need a tad but more in my opinion of the law. But what I do agree with is that I would keep an eye out for the dude and lock my door.

Exactly. These are NEVER black and white issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom