Question about someone coming into your house. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    So I told my dad about this story about a week ago thinking why the hell would someone do this but here it is. I came home from hunting a few weeks ago and my lady and I were sitting on the bed talking about my day hunting and I was about to walk back out and get my treestand from my truck. As I was changing my clothes and chatting someone just walking right into my house and slammed the door. Of course the light were out in the living room and I grabbed my AR and came around the corner and lit them up with my Streamlight and of course they freaked out and begged don't shoot and said they walked into the wrong apartment. Now here is my question say I didn't have my light and I thought someone broke into my house and I was in fear for my life. What would happened if I shot? Honestly if it wasn't for my light I probably would've. I was honestly scared shitless, my dog was barking her head off at them and I was yelling. Would I be covered by the law even if they didn't have a weapon but I wasn't able to verify it? If I thought it was a threat. This all happened with 10-15 seconds.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    wow im not sure but im interested in the real answer.......

Droshki

Master
    Honestly if it wasn't for my light I probably would've.

This is interesting. So you would have fired without knowing what the target was?

What if it turned out to be a lost six year old child?

Brandon_SPC

Master
    This is interesting. So you would have fired without knowing what the target was?

What if it turned out to be a lost six year old child?
    Well I could make out it was two males about my size. I am 6'2 225. I honestly don't know what I would have done. This stuff never happens that's why I am asking. Of course when I turned the light on they ran I saying wrong apartment. BTW this was at around 9pm-10pm at night. I just got back from cleaning two deer at my dads house. Yeah verify target.... but when the time came down to it everything just went out the window. I was blind sided by fear, adrenaline, and to protect.

Of course this made me realize how much more training I need. Of course I try to train myself as much as possible but when it comes to something like this I honestly don't think there is a way.

Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    I don't have a clue but thats why you lock the doors at night. Glad you didn't shoot. That could have been a bad deal.

Alittle diffrent but one time the wife and I rented a motel room while on a trip. I opened the door to go in and there was 2 guys already in there. That might have been a good way for me to get shot. Scared the hell out of all of us.

I suppose it could have been an honest mystake on there part but I have read that people have been shot for that very reason.

Droshki

Master
    I don't think there is any substitute for knowing your target. Theres been some pretty horrific accidents in the news over the years, where the homeowner *thought* they knew what they were shooting at.

On a side note, an AR-15 round travels at what, 2,970 ft/s? Seems a bit overpenatratey for an apartment. But I suppose everyone has their own opinion on that.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    in your home, I don't believe you have cause to retreat or not fire if you are in fear of your life. Most burglars/home invaders don't ID themselves for you or give you a chance to ID your target before they hurt or kill you and rape your lady.

Droshki

Master
    Might wanna consider one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/LAYKOR-Keyles...qid=1423790650&sr=8-11&keywords=key;less+door

They latch automatically when the door closes, but can be opened of course without keys, by entering a short code of your choice. They also have a setting to set it to a straight passage mode if desired, then you can cancel it and return to the default settings. Also have several other features. I have four of them on my PCB house, and they work great.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    I don't have a clue but thats why you lock the doors at night. Glad you didn't shoot. That could have been a bad deal.

Alittle diffrent but one time the wife and I rented a motel room while on a trip. I opened the door to go in and there was 2 guys already in there. That might have been a good way for me to get shot. Scared the hell out of all of us.

I suppose it could have been an honest mystake on there part but I have read that people have been shot for that very reason.
    I didn't lock the door because I was about to walk back out and grab my tree stand but still my fault for not doing that.

I don't think there is any substitute for knowing your target. Theres been some pretty horrific accidents in the news over the years, where the homeowner *thought* they knew what they were shooting at.

On a side note, an AR-15 round travels at what, 2,970 ft/s? Seems a bit overpenatratey for an apartment. But I suppose everyone has their own opinion on that.
    Reason why I use my AR is because a 55gr VMAX round will penetrate flesh less vs me using my 9mm with gold dots or my shotgun with buckshot. So a likely hood of less collateral damage. Just because it travels at almost 3000 fps doesn't mean it will out penetrate something that say travels at 1150fps.

Dan1612

Master
    223 hollow points penetrate far less than 22lr, 9mm, 45, buckshot, or just about any other type of round. Guns and Ammo did a thing about it a few years back.

Droshki

Master
    223 hollow points penetrate far less than 22lr, 9mm, 45, buckshot, or just about any other type of round. Guns and Ammo did a thing about it a few years back.

Compared against other hollow points?

Dan1612

Master
    Compared against other hollow points?

Yes, most other hollow points will either plug due to the large mouth and act like fmj, or if polymer tipped and they do expand, they'll retain most of their weight and continue to penetrate, whereas a 223 will either tumble and lose energy very quickly or simply explode.

I'm by no means a ballistics expert, but I've done quite a lot of research, and that's the conclusion I personally came to based on the evidence I saw. James Tarr is the biggest proponent for this, he's written a number of articles on the subject.

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    What is one of the rules of firearm safety . Know your target, and what is beyond. The light is what saved you. Good call having a light. and backed up with something to enforce it. Just my 5 cents jj

Brandon_SPC

Master
    I knew this would end up in a caliber/bullet debate but the hollow points I have in my 9mm are gold dots. Which is a bonded bullet. In my AR I have some 55gr TAP ammo which the bullet is the same as the 55gr VMAX bullet which is designed to blow up as soon as it hits flesh. Which is why it is used for varmints. Technically there really isn't anything that is great for an apartment. If you miss you are SOL. A VMAX, gold dot, frangible, fmj they will all go through the walls that our houses/ apartments are made out of these days. Even an arrow will go through our walls even house walls. It is just which is better in your hands and to me my AR is better for me vs my 9mm. I can shoot it a lot better under a stressful situation compared to my pistol. Granted I can shoot my pistol good but my AR is better set up for something like this plus my girl prefers grabbing my AR vs the pistol to.

Last edited:

Droshki

Master
    I apologize for the threadjack, it wasn't my intent.

Lets go back to "knowing your target" :)

Droshki

Master
    Really though, to go back to your original question, nobody can say how it would play out. There's too many variables. I think it would come down to the attorneys and the jury.

Sure, the law around here is that you don't have a duty to retreat, especially in your own house, but I think you might also have to be able to articulate quite clearly why exactly you were "in fear for your life", especially if no other weapons were present and no threats were issued towards you.

And then of course, the very real potential for a civil suit. Especially if they did indeed just accidentally walk into the wrong apartment.

Dan1612

Master
    Right, even a 25acp (which is even stupider than .40) or a 22lr will go through sheet metal.

Back to the subject, the moment when the subjects become aware of your presence dictates what you can/should do. If they throw their hands up, surrender, admit their mistake and or run away, you would not be justified. If you saw a weapon or any kind of hostility expressed, while you stand your ground in accordance with FL law, shoot away.

This is my personal opinion. I am a non attorney non spokesperson, and the content of this or any of my posts is for entertainment purposes only.

Brandon_SPC

Master
    At least first before jacking a thread ;) lol

Yeah I know there is to many variables. I was just curious if someone would be covered by the law. You never think about it until after it happens. One thing I did learn is train more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom