APOD Firearms

PURCHASED Looking to purchase a gaming computer, need help!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    PC gaming is great and opens up a whole new world of gaming and communities, it can be expensive if you want it to be, or you can scrape by with a full setup under $1k that will play 90% of games no with little to no issues.

I've built over a dozen PCs in the last few years, some questions:
    Budget
    Use of PC (If gaming primarily, what games do you play)
    Any PC experience

Depending on what you want, you can build a PC for anywhere from $600-2000+, you'll also need mouse, keyboard, headset, and a monitor, those will run a minimum of $200, but realistically $400-500 would get you a far better quality.
    Building your own is not hard, and is a great learning experience, but it can be challenging if you have never done it before, and you do run the risk of breaking $200+ parts (low chance, never broken anything in all my builds, but it can happen) it's a good idea to have someone local who has done it before be there to help/walk you through it.

You can also choose to buy a prebuilt, Black Friday/Cyber Monday has a great deal and you can always sell it for at least 70% value if you choose to do something else. If moneys not a real issue, there are also some great prebuilts out there, you pay on average 30% premium for them to do all the work, and the cheaper ones it's a mystery the quality of build and parts, but they typically are worth the face value.

I was an Xbox player for years, in 2012 I built my first real gaming PC (had played PC before since Windows 3.1 but was mainly a console gamer) and I have never had a desire to go back. Better communities, better games and deals, better quality even with cheap stuff. The biggest downside is possible loss of your past gaming community if you play on consoles already. But even that is not a huge issue anymore with cross play, I have XBOX game pass and get 400+ games to play from XBOX for $10 a month, and there are some great games there for the price, Amazon Prime gives away 10ish games a month free if you have Prime, Epic games give a fee game way a week (some real good ones too). So the amount of stuff to play gets overwhelming easily.

Feel free to reply here or PM me and I'd be happy to try and help you out.

Here are some good quality "higher" pre builds on Newegg currently on sale, any one of these will easily last you 3-5 years with little upgrades needed other than more hard drive space. The cheapest one for $1300 is actually a good deal, the GPU and CPU alone are worth at least $600 together, $100 for the motherboard, $100 for the Ram, $100 for the AOI cooler, $200 for the case, ssd, and power supply, that's pretty much the cost value right there.
    Those are just for the computer itself though, you will still need all your peripherals, whixh with the current black friday deals you could get some amazing deals atm.

Last edited:

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Here are some good deals fore starter peripherals on sale too. I had to remove the www. because the site was breaking the links, you can just copy paste them into your web browser instead.

These all in one bundles are a great cheap alternative that is well worth the price for starter/normal gaming gear.

amazon.com/Razer-Power-Gaming-Bundle-black/dp/B09RKWTHLX

amazon.com/CORSAIR-Wired-Gaming-Keyboard-Bundle/dp/B09LG1L3SW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=corsair+bundle&qid=1669460051&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

There are some amazing deals if you want to piece together your own stuff for better quality for a little more too.

Headset:
    The best sub $100 headset for years at half price, I just bought myself another pair. I have a $500+ audio setup for my PC, but sometimes it's nice having an easy alternative and for on the go, and the HyperClouds are the best for the price.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAYCVTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keyboard:
    Any one of these, or others would be good for sub $60

amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Mechanical-Backlighting-CK-550-GKTL1-US/dp/B08L2XTWWZ?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_de58213b_67

amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-Backlighting/dp/B08K3NDYM8?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_de58213b_64

amazon.com/SteelSeries-Apex-Hybrid-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B07ZGDD6B1?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_1d91ab4a_78

Mice:
    Best entry mouse hands down, I've had $20 mice and $200 mice, and for it's price the Razor Deathalder hold their own.

amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Essential-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B094PS5RZQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1V2FJYLZXSMY2&keywords=deathadder&qid=1669460479&sprefix=deathadler%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-5

amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Gaming-Mouse-Programmable/dp/B082G5SPR5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1V2FJYLZXSMY2&keywords=deathadder&qid=1669460479&sprefix=deathadler%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-3

As for the monitor, it's one of the most important parts of the setup, but also depends on what you play, for general sue and especially FPS gaming you want something along the lines of 1ms repsonse time, 120-144hz refresh rate, and at least 24inches (I prefer 27-34inches, "ultrawide", i currently have a 34inch alienware monitor I bought 5 years ago on a Black Friday deal). A good monitor will run you at least $150+ on sale, I'd stick with brands you recognize or are "name" AOC, ASUS, SAMSUNG, LG, even dell make ok ones now.

Paul Mormak

Just another member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Here are some good deals fore starter peripherals on sale too. I had to remove the www. because the site was breaking the links, you can just copy paste them into your web browser instead.

These all in one bundles are a great cheap alternative that is well worth the price for starter/normal gaming gear.

amazon.com/Razer-Power-Gaming-Bundle-black/dp/B09RKWTHLX

amazon.com/CORSAIR-Wired-Gaming-Keyboard-Bundle/dp/B09LG1L3SW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=corsair+bundle&qid=1669460051&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

There are some amazing deals if you want to piece together your own stuff for better quality for a little more too.

Headset:
    The best sub $100 headset for years at half price, I just bought myself another pair. I have a $500+ audio setup for my PC, but sometimes it's nice having an easy alternative and for on the go, and the HyperClouds are the best for the price.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAYCVTQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keyboard:
    Any one of these, or others would be good for sub $60

amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Mechanical-Backlighting-CK-550-GKTL1-US/dp/B08L2XTWWZ?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_de58213b_67

amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tenkeyless-Mechanical-Backlighting/dp/B08K3NDYM8?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_de58213b_64

amazon.com/SteelSeries-Apex-Hybrid-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard/dp/B07ZGDD6B1?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_D_1d91ab4a_78

Mice:
    Best entry mouse hands down, I've had $20 mice and $200 mice, and for it's price the Razor Deathalder hold their own.

amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Essential-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B094PS5RZQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1V2FJYLZXSMY2&keywords=deathadder&qid=1669460479&sprefix=deathadler%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-5

amazon.com/Razer-DeathAdder-Gaming-Mouse-Programmable/dp/B082G5SPR5/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1V2FJYLZXSMY2&keywords=deathadder&qid=1669460479&sprefix=deathadler%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-3

As for the monitor, it's one of the most important parts of the setup, but also depends on what you play, for general sue and especially FPS gaming you want something along the lines of 1ms repsonse time, 120-144hz refresh rate, and at least 24inches (I prefer 27-34inches, "ultrawide", i currently have a 34inch alienware monitor I bought 5 years ago on a Black Friday deal). A good monitor will run you at least $150+ on sale, I'd stick with brands you recognize or are "name" AOC, ASUS, SAMSUNG, LG, even dell make ok ones now.
    Thank you for all that info. It made my decision a little easier.

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a few questions for some gamers. I have no idea what I am about to get myself into.
    What's your budget?
    What games are you looking to play?
    Do you need everything? PC, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, headset etc?
    Are you looking to build it yourself? Options for retail high end gaming machines are more expensive.

If you answer all of that I can recommend you exactly the right specs. Been building systems for 33 years, from when Wolfenstein 3D came out up to a year ago. I play FPS and RTS games, Escape From Tarkov, Call Of Duty, Company Of Heroes, War Thunder, DayZ.

Viper0hr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Thank you for all that info. It made my decision a little easier.
    NP man, good luck, it's a different world at first but it's worth it. Don't hesitate to look up youtube videos for any issues/questions you have too, there are tons of resourses out there that are helpful early on, or you can just ask someone here haha.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom