• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Can I legally purchase a suppressed SBR from a private seller that doesn’t have an FFL? If so, what would the process be?

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yes. Much easier if that person is in Florida, but still a long wait. Especially if you don't know the person well.

Otherwise, they have to Form-4 transfer it to an FFL/SOT in their state for $200, then that FFL/SOT would Form-3 it to an FFL/SOT in Florida for free, then that FFL/SOT would transfer it to you for $200. If the suppressor is detachable with its own serial number and the SBR has its own serial number, then it would be two Form-4's at $200 each. Each time. But they could be processing simultaneously... That $400 (or $800 for two serial numbered items) goes to the BATFE slush fund, and it's about 10-month wait for each Form-4 and about 1-month for the Form-3's. So, about 22-months or so?

Or, the seller would Form-4 it direct to you if they are in Florida. About 10-months for the simultaneous Form-4's. All that while, the seller would retain possession, since the items are still technically not yours until the stamps arrive.

I'm sure Little Jack's or someone could correct any of my errors, but that's how I understand the options available.

RussSurfs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    It is in Florida, but I didn’t think about have to do two stamps. That make the “deal” on the package not quite as attractive. Thanks for the detailed response.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Any NFA item with the exception of a transferable MG, you're better off buying new.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If the can would be permanently attached (if it’s not already), seller could take the sbr off the registry and just do one stamp to get it direct to you.

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Good advise above. Two tax stamps equal's $400.00 and then there is a ten to twelve month wait. Also, as stated above, used suppressors don't have a lot of resale value. Buy a new one, get the best you can afford, and keep it forever is the way to go.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If the can would be permanently attached (if it’s not already), seller could take the sbr off the registry and just do one stamp to get it direct to you.

RussSurfs, the assumption with the above mentioned option is that after permanently attaching the suppressor, the overall barrel length would be 16" or greater.

Personally, I wouldn't permanently attach a swappable suppressor; that's part of its usefulness and flexibility. Also, it allows you to "break down" the firearm into a smaller size for travel or storage. The $200 saved isn't worth the loss of capability, to me.

Top Bottom