• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirtingd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I am wanting to preserve a rifle that has been passed down through family.

Is there a best practice way to do it or does anyone on here do it?

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is always the ultimate proven preservative Cosmoline.. But that is a creature all its own.

Would have no issue heavily oiling it and placing it in a plastic bag and sealing it up..

Guess it depends also where you are storing it and how long between times you want to look it over..

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    If you don’t want to see it again but know that it will be in the same condition as it is now in 100 years - cosmoline.

If you want to handle it and clean it every so often - a heavy coat of oil.

If you want to hang it up or put it behind glass - Renaissance Wax.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had seen these high tone storage bags before.. Seems a little high cost Buuuuuut if you only had to store a few guns they look to be top drawer.

They even show you how to use them.. Heck adding some gun grease before hand would not hurt any..

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    If heavily oiling something with a wood stock, store it muzzle down, so that the oil doesn't pool against the wood stock wrist. That's how the wood stock wrist gets soft and busts under recoil, by being full of oil like a sponge

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am wanting to preserve a rifle that has been passed down through family.

Is there a best practice way to do it or does anyone on here do it?
    I got alot of old old guns that were passed down and I used strike hold and those gun socks. They are also in a separate fort knox safe in the house and a small golden rod running. I check on them alot and never had any issues.

Still working out details on Form 5's for two Vietnam era M16's. They will be transferred to me soon. Form 5 is a Family transfer.

Dad's brother has them but willed to me so we have to do the paper work to transfer. Big PITA.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I simply use Break Free CLP. (The older milsurp stuff)
    If you have it in a larger container make sure to shake it up extremely well.
    It seperates. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: - -> please allow me to add,the above for shorter term storage. Example - -> in my safe(s) for several years. (Not preserved for the grand kids)

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I got alot of old old guns that were passed down and I used strike hold and those gun socks. They are also in a separate fort knox safe in the house and a small golden rod running. I check on them alot and never had any issues.

Still working out details on Form 5's for two Vietnam era M16's. They will be transferred to me soon. Form 5 is a Family transfer.

Dad's brother has them but willed to me so we have to do the paper work to transfer. Big PITA.

I’ve been using strike hold for a few years now and it seems to be holding up rather well.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If heavily oiling something with a wood stock, store it muzzle down, so that the oil doesn't pool against the wood stock wrist. That's how the wood stock wrist gets soft and busts under recoil, by being full of oil like a sponge

You know that is a good point. I am thinking gun grease more and more.

Bearkat

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I tell all my customers, for long term storage; marine grade axle grease. Put it inside the bore, outside on all exposed metal, and hang it from the stock, muzzle down. Don't let the muzzle rest on the floor of your safe. Check it every 6 months to make sure it's doing ok. Clean it well before you take it to the range and clean it again before you grease it up for storage. We live in a humid environment and this is the ONLY thing I've found that works... and I've tried all the other stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom