• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    When there’s nothing else and the corn meal has to be stretched it can be used to make a soup
    Haven’t had it in 54 years but my Granny did her best that summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    So my wife and I are talking about out current level of preparedness and if we are overlooking anything at home.. just thought I would see what some of you suggest other than the obvious beans, bullets, bandages.. I'm looking at grabbing a counter top gravity fed water filter since I know my portable one wouldn't be able to keep up in the event of a failure of the water system and stacks of bottles isn't exactly feasible.
    Thanks

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Katahdin Base Camp is a large but packable gravity water filter. I think LifeStraw brand does make a more permanent camp version of the Base Camp, too.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    i grind deer corn for my chickens as a treat. as an experiment i have ground it down and made grits and corn meal from it. a bag of deer corn would go a long way if you were hungry.
    Buy a bug zapper for the chickens for x-mas. They will thank you with better eggs and better meat. Also some commercially bagged deer corn should never be eaten, check the label.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buy a bug zapper for the chickens for x-mas. They will thank you with better eggs and better meat. Also some commercially bagged deer corn should never be eaten, check the label.
    Yes I was wondering about that.
    Once read of some people getting ill from GMO corn intended for cattle feed being used in a restaurant. Some people got sick from it. Cattle have a very special stomach. But I also think that there are additives in deer corn, but I do not recall what they are.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    One can fly buffalo wings, but that is not right way to do it. And they were invented in Buffalo, NY.

Classic Buffalo Wings

1. Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
    2. Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
    3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
    4. Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.
    5. While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl along with the garlic. Pour this along with hot sauce and salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.
    6. Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve warm.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    One can fly buffalo wings, but that is not right way to do it. And they were invented in Buffalo, NY.

Classic Buffalo Wings

1. Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
    2. Remove the tips of the wings and discard or save for making stock. Using kitchen shears, or a knife, separate the wings at the joint. Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes. Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry. Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
    3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
    4. Replace the paper towels with parchment paper. Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.
    5. While the chicken is roasting, melt the butter in a small bowl along with the garlic. Pour this along with hot sauce and salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.
    6. Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce. Serve warm.

They were made in Buffalo and they were fried. They were not steamed and held for an hour.

If you don’t believe me, ask Teressa Bellissimo.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They were made in Buffalo and they were fried. They were not steamed and held for an hour.

If you don’t believe me, ask Teressa Bellissimo.
    I saw the account, but could not figure out if they were fried or not. Since they were in a hurry she might have fried. Frying just seems gross for someone in Buffalo of Italian extraction.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I saw the account, but could not figure out if they were fried or not. Since they were in a hurry she might have fried. Frying just seems gross for someone in Buffalo of Italian extraction.

I hope you don’t eat them out anywhere, as every restaurant I have been to cooks them in the fryer.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope you don’t eat them out anywhere, as every restaurant I have been to cooks them in the fryer.
    I believe it depends on if you want a glaze on them versus cooking in deep fryer. If I want deep fried chicken wings I will get them from the drive through line from a fast food restaurant and not pay restaurant prices for them.
    So if the consensus is fried, than the north also has fried chicken, at least relative to the wings.

meljel1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello you all I haven't read all the post in here but have given this a lot of thought (what if's and all) I think and believe we need to think and find ways to sustain ourselves. I have thought about how in the past people took care of themselves, other then hunting/fishing/trapping there is local vegetation (look for your area) and roots and shoots. I have stopped and thought of different ways one could live and sustain one selves if you had to. In my local area we have several spots that turn into miles of forest, with natural plant life. I bought a little book that is called Northwest Florida guide to eatable plant life. It is amazing how many things you can eat if you had to, but how many things you need to be weary of. But overall we have lost something we had for thousand of years, the knowledge of it, that people were teaching their children and it was taught to others, now something else is taught in its place. but it is still so vitally important.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    So my wife and I are talking about out current level of preparedness and if we are overlooking anything at home.. just thought I would see what some of you suggest other than the obvious beans, bullets, bandages.. I'm looking at grabbing a counter top gravity fed water filter since I know my portable one wouldn't be able to keep up in the event of a failure of the water system and stacks of bottles isn't exactly feasible.
    Thanks

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

alcohol, peroxide, bleach, sutures & needles, dehydrated stuff, extra cash, booze, pure gas (marine gas), diesel, extra batteries, including car/truck batteries

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hello you all I haven't read all the post in here but have given this a lot of thought (what if's and all) I think and believe we need to think and find ways to sustain ourselves. I have thought about how in the past people took care of themselves, other then hunting/fishing/trapping there is local vegetation (look for your area) and roots and shoots. I have stopped and thought of different ways one could live and sustain one selves if you had to. In my local area we have several spots that turn into miles of forest, with natural plant life. I bought a little book that is called Northwest Florida guide to eatable plant life. It is amazing how many things you can eat if you had to, but how many things you need to be weary of. But overall we have lost something we had for thousand of years, the knowledge of it, that people were teaching their children and it was taught to others, now something else is taught in its place. but it is still so vitally important.
    There used to be someone here that was involved in teaching about edible plants. The wild ones are important, but you need to look for something that will give you some calories for survival. Not so much here, but in the Appalachians before the chestnut blight, the first americans and then the whites that followed them got a lot of free nutrition from the american chestnut. Those are gone now. But a smart investment if you have a little space is to grow a couple of blight resistant dunstan chestnuts. You also eat the squirrels that come to eat the chestnuts.
    Also corn as mentioned, then beans, and of course the root crops like sweet potatoes, peanuts, etc.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    alcohol, peroxide, bleach, sutures & needles, dehydrated stuff, extra cash, booze, pure gas (marine gas), diesel, extra batteries, including car/truck batteries
    Solar panel to charge your batteries. A still to make ethanol. No matter what, people need to drink. Invest in a couple of mills, hand operated and electric. You need a way to hide what you have from your neighbors. If you have and they do not, do the math.....

meljel1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There used to be someone here that was involved in teaching about edible plants. The wild ones are important, but you need to look for something that will give you some calories for survival. Not so much here, but in the Appalachians before the chestnut blight, the first americans and then the whites that followed them got a lot of free nutrition from the american chestnut. Those are gone now. But a smart investment if you have a little space is to grow a couple of blight resistant dunstan chestnuts. You also eat the squirrels that come to eat the chestnuts.
    Also corn as mentioned, then beans, and of course the root crops like sweet potatoes, peanuts, etc.

Thanks

Top Bottom