• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since I saw cars mentioned in the thread description I figured that this would be as good a place as any for the idea.

To start, I used to be a real gear head, dealt in the car industry (P&B) and also built a few street rods in my life. Around 25 years ago I got completely away from anything automotive due to serious burn out. I've found myself back in the game a little over the last couple of years. I'm a guy Friday for a very wealthy gentleman and along with maintaining property and aircraft I was dragged kicking and screaming into several car projects of his. This has re sparked some interest. Wife encourages me to get a project car. What to do?

Street rods and street machines. I love them all. To me though there is nothing that really stands out that won't cost a fortune for the initial purchase. I'd love to have a '65 Falcon Sprint, '67 Camaro, '66 Chevelle, several Mopar offerings, any pre-1968 Vette and just about anything pre-1940.

Next option: I just love Jeeps. I'd really like to have one. Newer is way too expensive and most projects would be merely a process of bolting on parts. I may still do that, will come back to it later.

All of the above is a wish list of non-practical toys. Nothing wrong with that but I just don't feel like owning something I have to worry much about, i.e. getting dirty, scratched or some 16 YO mouth breather nailing it while text messaging. (Jeep doesn't fall into this category).

I also want to stir the creative juices, just go off in a different direction. Something useable, practical, initial cheap purchase price and if I screw something up and have to back track, no skin off the old manhood.

So, how about a brainstorm on a prepper vehicle with the possibility of me actually building this beast? Tools, odd materials....no problem. Time, well..........as I have it between many other projects.

Initial thoughts:

Ultra reliable: This means no electronic brains. Good old state of the art 1960's or earlier technology. Zero computers, electronic ignition, fuel metering and on and on. Easily acquirable parts. More research needed here for commonality of components.

Thoughts: Something that uses a mass produced block, trans, rear end, steering and suspension. Early Jeep? Chevy, Ford, Mopar?

Tough: Heavy components. Commercial vehicles, military app?

Capacity: Lots of cubic feet of carrying space. Bug out vehicle. Food, water, firearms, ammo, occupants, supplies in abundance. Maybe large enough to keep it permanently stocked with everything but food, guns and ammo. I envision a vehicle parked behind the man-cave, Battery maintained, back up batteries easily obtainable. More like a 4 (or maybe 6?) wheel insurance policy.

Defensible: Lots of room to expand here. Plating, less glass (also helps with privacy and not showing your cards). Run flat tires, camo'ed? Or maybe something that doesn't draw much attention?

All terrain capable. I'm not talking rock climber, just maybe 4WD, decent ground clearance.

Lots of room to expand on all of these points.

Fuel availability: I'm thinking it needs to be diesel. Long term fuel storage, no problem. Availability? A million farmers can't be wrong, not including all of the OTR trucks sitting around.

Initial thoughts: I do have access to a 1999 Freightliner OTR truck. 700K mile motor, rough but drivable. Weight capacity is a non-issue. Fairly good for bad terrain. Tires, won't be a real obstacle. Downside. Even a 1999 model has a brain. Further research needed here.

Hardening: Let's just say I think I have that area covered. Hint: I've got access to a LOT of Kevlar.

Suburban? Might be a good canvas with which to start. A Diesel model would be good. Have to figure out how to remove the computers, I don't "think" that would be a real hurdle.

I'd like to keep running with this. If a very basic frame could be decided on I would enjoy hauling it home and doing some initial drawings and notes. Who knows, get it perfected and there might be a market for it.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas. If I get prodded enough I may drag something home, rip it apart and start a slow resurrection. Besides, if I get everything worked out might be able to sell at a profit and use those bucks to go the next step.

Lots more floating around in my pea sized brain.

Feel free to cuss, discuss, shoot hole into my ideas.

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Blazer Military M1009 4x4 6.2 diesel...or may be found as K5 - indestructible, cheap as I've seen ex forestry/ army versions go for $800 and up to 3k.....4x4, tough as nails......easily customizable

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    71 F100 with SCJ428 4 speed with sun gear overdrive on 44" with 7.22 gears dual winches oh still has POINTS AND CONDENSOR bring on the EMP!

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    For cheap you can't beat old milsurp vehicles, good for combat and maybe even armored. What about a hydrogen engine design...or a little nuclear engine, no fuel needed.

MsChief

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This. A decommissioned Army M35 cargo truck. Runs on different types of fuel including used motor oil.
    2601075759_00b9de0f97.jpg

We are currently working on a 90 Ford Bronco. Should be running in less than two weeks. It's carbureted and will be putting a mechanical fuel pump on it at some point. :usa:

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know where ya can get a GREAT 2005 Jeep Rubicon Sean.. Perfect for building into a UMV (Ultimate Manly Vehicle)
    I know the owner and can probly get you the brother in law discount.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know where ya can get a GREAT 2005 Jeep Rubicon Sean.. Perfect for building into a UMV (Ultimate Manly Vehicle)
    I know the owner and can probly get you the brother in law discount.

How about brother-in-law monthly payments? Say, four twelve packs of Corona first of each month?

How about a Uni-Mog?

Attachments

• Mercedes-Benz-Unimog.jpg
      Mercedes-Benz-Unimog.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 457

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For some reason I'm feelin' this a lot! I like vans. Go diesel and serious chassis updates, diesel motor better rear end, the lots of outside caging, winch, etc. Gotta be black to.

Attachments

• Sportsmobile-4WD-Vehicle.jpg
      Sportsmobile-4WD-Vehicle.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 431

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aside from emps I have the answer. When the wife got her new car I kept her 2000 ford excursion 4x4 its a beast and has lots of capacity and towing capabilities

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was bored one night and did a search for "Zombie vehicles". Wife's Xterra came up?????????? I have disliked that SUV since the day the wife drove it home new from SS Nissan. I really can't imagine that thing holding up off road for a second.

Interesting car that I let get away: For a toy I bought the ex a Suzuki Samurai. You could not kill that damned thing. I took it to the river one weekend and tried to sink it. Went through everything and I never put it in 4WD. After I finally got rid of that psycho she gave it to her brother who gave it away. No carry capacity but with the wheel/tire combo I put on it I think it would almost float. I'd love to have that little sumbitch to play with now. Drop a V-6 in and go play.

I'm not just whistling Dixie here. After the smoke clears from the holidays I am gonna start a search. I'll know what I want when I see it. Today I was informed that my work truck will get upgraded by the 31st. I have at my discretion a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD with, get this, 22K original miles. Barely run enough in 11 years to keep the cylinders lubricated. Not 4x4, not diesel but there is some potential there.

Back on the van angle: I know where a 1996 Ford Econoline is. Best part, it's a commercial version so no side glass like in post #15. I don't need anything easy for zombies to breech. I can get it real cheap which is what I need to do since 75% of it will be ripped out and discarded. It's LWB too so plenty of carrying space. Plus, when I run across that broken down bus full of cheerleaders I'll have plenty of room for them to show their appreciation.

OK, really, REALLY back on track: I think this thing might be the ticket. I have a lot of ideas to play with. First thing will be to get the running gear sorted out. Motor, trans, rear end .........gone. I may bypass the 4WD thing. Don't plan on running the beach and in a SHTF situation I won't make it to the Rocky's anyway. 2WD should do for most situations and the winches (already in stock at the man-cave) will be there to drag me out of the crap. Sacrifices must be made. Flipside: Simplicity. No transfer case = less to break. Seriously. I know 4x4 is the rage but I'm not thinking about beach running or going to the mountains. If I have to drive through 6oo miles of snow and ice to survive I'd rather be eaten by coyotes. I have a BO buddy in Arizona so it'll be flat terrain between here and there if I decided to run. To get from home to my local BO spot capacity will be a lot more essential than rock crawling or mud bogging.

And last, but not least: Cool factor. If this is gonna be a project to keep me away from bars and loose women (Damn Mrs Seanpcola, do you see what I'm giving up?) I want to play with esthetics. No reason not to make it look evil yet ready for a car show.

Stiffening the frame is no issue. I have a lot of steel plate stored. I'll need a better tubing bender for guards, skid plates and various other structures.

Donkey_McWedges

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea ms chief has the right idea with the multi fuel engine. Them old diesels are all mechanically injected so pretty much emp proof. Used motor oil will be everywhere. Auto shops and repair places have huge tanks to store till the waste oil man comes to recycle it. To me its the best all around bug out truck.

Mullet Hunter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    First I would have to pick a battle proven vehicle.... And he only badass ride I can think of with the battles under her belt is:
    image.jpg

Then if that didn't shake out I would have to go with something economical like this:
    image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      26 KB · Views: 421
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      107.4 KB · Views: 417

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the 4x4 bus. Bars over all that glass and a digital camo job would get it just about right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom