• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Compass Lake Engineering may be an alternative...don't think the list a 5R but call them and see.
    Well, if I purchase the DPMS I can shoot the Krieger barrel (which appear to be out of stock) until Rock Creek starts producing the cut rifle barrels I'd really prefer. Could be a while? But folks on the internet seem happy with Faxon Match Barrels, I just haven't heard from anyone on the forum that has/had one.

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I have found that 22 inch to 28 inch 5R barrels actually perform better with 168-175 SMK's, especially as the distance past 300 yards goes up. But 20 inch match barrels are fairly common and I prefer rifle length to mid gas. YMMV. Did you ever manage to get within 1 inch with IMR 4064? Used to use 3031 with 168 SMK & 4895 with 175 SMK. But 4064 works pretty well for both. YMMV. I believe that at least the first barrel change I'll send to the barrel maker, & request rxer & bolt face Trueing. If I shoot it enough to require multiple barrel changes then I'll consider prefinished.
    1 " ? All of those targets were shot at 300 yds.
    At that time I only had access to 300 yds. And like most of us when a new firearm comes into the house , everyone moves down in priority of use.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1 " ? All of those targets were shot at 300 yds.
    At that time I only had access to 300 yds. And like most of us when a new firearm comes into the house , everyone moves down in priority of use.
    1 inch @ 300 yards is my goal for a .308 semiauto precision rifle. I noticed that some of your groups were close and I also picked up on different projectiles etc. Just figured I'd mention that 39-40 of 3031 used to shoot a little tighter with 168 SMK'S at that KD in my Old Rifles than 4064. Just a little food for thought if you return to the 300 yard KD line again and feel like experimenting. But powders are not as readily available as they were back in the day. For some reason I take an Old Workhorse that I have performance experience with when the Pretty New Pony heads to the range. That way, if the New Pony don't doesn't live up to expectations I can shoot the Old Workhorse to see if the problem is the nut behind the butt. Some Days it can be......YMMV. if the rifle can hold 1 inch at 300, a 20X-200 isn't impossible at that KD. JMHO....... Thanks again for the workshop jester.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    aah...Mr Frank has been building good match rifles for a while.
    I have one they made for me in one off my rifles they turned from a Kreiger blank for .223
    I think Kreiger makes a 5R in the twist you are looking for and DPMS style..they might have one in stock

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nah, Krieger stopped turning gas block 5R barrels and currently offers 4R to ensure proper operation of gass feed AR's. I may follow Douglas & Krieger as a habit from my M14 Government sponsored days. It's a failing of those that hunted game more dangerous than T-Rex in THE JUNGLE.

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I thought the Nemo Omen was 300 Win Mag

My M1A has a Douglas in it that Gene Barnett turned for Hook...dang thing shots .5 for me @ 100 and the flash hider isn't even NM
    a funny story goes with that .5 too

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Love to hear it if you got the time?

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I've assembled six or seven AR10 type rifles and believe going with the DPMS pattern would offer more options.

I also believe that 1" at 300 yards is a VERY TALL order for a gasser. Impossible? No, but certainly a tall order IMO.

You will not get there with anything Ballistic Advantage or Faxon offers... sorry, but both of those are "affordable barrel companies" and both are known to turn out good barrels as well as turds. I know, I've sent three BA barrels back. I have five .308 barrels from BA and I'm happy with them as they have hit the MOA at 100 guarantee but barely. Keep in mind... BA defines that as a 3-shot group... well, sit long enough and just about any barrel will stumble across such a group no?

For the sake of being clear... if a rifle and shooter can't shoot what ever is claimed three times in a row using a 5-shot group as the standard, the claim is invalid... YMMV. ARFCOM's MOA ALL DAY LONG challenge requires FIVE groups and that's been the downfall of may claims.

To say a rifle shoots X MOA at X yards, that means a shooter can plop down on the ground or sit at the bench, on demand, load said rifle, and then proceed to crank out THREE 5-round shot groups that meet or exceed the claimed standard. Otherwise, I think there's a saying about a blind squirrel...

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've assembled six or seven AR10 type rifles and believe going with the DPMS pattern would offer more options.

I also believe that 1" at 300 yards is a VERY TALL order for a gasser. Impossible? No, but certainly a tall order IMO.

You will not get there with anything Ballistic Advantage or Faxon offers... sorry, but both of those are "affordable barrel companies" and both are known to turn out good barrels as well as turds. I know, I've sent three BA barrels back. I have five .308 barrels from BA and I'm happy with them as they have hit the MOA at 100 guarantee but barely. Keep in mind... BA defines that as a 3-shot group... well, sit long enough and just about any barrel will stumble across such a group no?

For the sake of being clear... if a rifle and shooter can't shoot what ever is claimed three times in a row using a 5-shot group as the standard, the claim is invalid... YMMV. ARFCOM's MOA ALL DAY LONG challenge requires FIVE groups and that's been the downfall of may claims.

To say a rifle shoots X MOA at X yards, that means a shooter can plop down on the ground or sit at the bench, on demand, load said rifle, and then proceed to crank out THREE 5-round shot groups that meet or exceed the claimed standard. Otherwise, I think there's a saying about a blind squirrel...
    Thank You for the candour. Most folks that talk about the barrels they have purchased only say how great they are. Now MOA is a pretty good benchmark, and a lot of rifles may not make such a benchmark. Most barrels heat up to much to fire three five round groups into any standard without rest time to cool. Thanks for such an honest answer. Guess I'll need to dig deeper into what barrels the current comp leaders are utilizing.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thank You for the candour. Most folks that talk about the barrels they have purchased only say how great they are. Now MOA is a pretty good benchmark, and a lot of rifles may not make such a benchmark. Most barrels heat up to much to fire three five round groups into any standard without rest time to cool. Thanks for such an honest answer. Guess I'll need to dig deeper into what barrels the current comp leaders are utilizing.

I would think, based on my own range routine and experience, 30-45 seconds between shots, would not be problematic.

When I shoot my gassers, I will load five rounds, shoot, go down range and make notes on the target, return and stuff five more rounds in the magazine, rinse and repeat.

I have found this to be a good "testing tempo".

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Slow fire is 20 rounds in twenty minutes. So about a minute per shot. A 20 round string will heat up a barrel pretty good.

lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I personally just got into the Ar-10 game myslef. Im sure that its achievable withe the right compnents. There are a few articles on snipers hide and long rainge hunting online that might be able to guise you in the right direction. Im eventually going to swap my barrell out for a carbon fiber barrell from either a proof research or a christensen arms. Hope this helps and good luck.
    May want to do some research on carbon fiber wrapped barrels.
    Their performance isn't as good as a steel|stainless steel barrel, they heat up quickly and shots suffer. Most that I have dealt with end up being heavier than a comparable profile steel barrel.
    They do seem to have a good use in a pretty, lightweight hunting rifles though.

Top Bottom