• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since I currently don't have a Semiautomatic.308 Win, I find the slate clean to begin anew. What would be the most logical and cost effective way to possess a Precision ..308 Win AR? Should it be AR-10 or LR-308? Would it be more cost effective to purchase a used rifle in whichever platform and highlight budget on precision barrel change? If I was to build from stripped lower/upper all the tools & build kits would have to be included in the overall cost. Guess it would be simplest to just purchase a completed rifle, but I'm not sure how cost effective that would be. So with a clean slate and no tools, kits, or parts in inventory, how would Y'all go about adding a Precision.308 Win AR Style Semiautomatic Rifle to your collection? Thanks in advance for advice, opinions, and experience.

Last edited:

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Since I currently don't have a Semiautomatic.308 Win, I find the slate clean to begin anew. What would be the most logical and cost effective way to possess a Precision ..308 Win AR? Should it be AR-10 or AR-308? Would it be more cost effective to purchase a used rifle in whichever platform and highlight budget on precision barrel change? If I was to build from stripped lower/upper all the tools & build kits would have to be included in the overall cost. Guess it would be simplest to just purchase a completed rifle, but I'm not sure how cost effective that would be. So with a clean slate and no tools, kits, or parts in inventory, how would Y'all go about adding a Precision.308 Win AR Style Semiautomatic Rifle to your collection? Thanks in advance for advice, opinions, and experience.
    I’ll be interested in the response on this thread. From what I know, AR10’s are almost a completely different beast than AR15’s in that parts from most manufacturers aren’t standardized, and often don’t work well together. Aero or PSA builds or complete rifles are probably the cheapest option. In my opinion, the sig 716i is probably the best quality for the price, put a nice trigger in it, and it’s a great shooter. But parts support is very minimal from sig or aftermarket, and I think 16” is the only barrel flavor…
    Larue makes a great AR-10. And Larue lowers are compatible with KAC uppers, without throwing out full KAC money.
    LWRC builds a great rifle, I’d love to have a REPR. But LWRC is also proprietary and hard to find parts for.
    H&K’s AR10 seems pretty awesome, and it’s a variation of the military issue one. Compared to H&K 416’s, the .308 version price seems reasonable, if you want to spend at the H&K price point.
    I’m not going to comment on BCA, except to say that I wouldn’t buy one. But they are definitely inexpensive and some can shoot well.
    I’d be interested in other people’s opinions, that have more experience than myself.

Derek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I just purchased a Sig 716i Snakebite! Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but its a very well made firearm! If any of you guys would like pics of it just shoot me a pm!

Derek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I personally just got into the Ar-10 game myslef. Im sure that its achievable withe the right compnents. There are a few articles on snipers hide and long rainge hunting online that might be able to guise you in the right direction. Im eventually going to swap my barrell out for a carbon fiber barrell from either a proof research or a christensen arms. Hope this helps and good luck.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I personally just got into the Ar-10 game myslef. Im sure that its achievable withe the right compnents. There are a few articles on snipers hide and long rainge hunting online that might be able to guise you in the right direction. Im eventually going to swap my barrell out for a carbon fiber barrell from either a proof research or a christensen arms. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Thank you. I just mentioned Hart barrels since I have used them on precision rifles in the past. There may be better barrels specific to the Black Rifle Platform? But the 1 inch at 300 yards may require a choice of Mexican Match or M118 chambering? From what I gather online Rock Creek isn't taking orders for their cut rifle barrels at the present time. Think I prefer 5R 1:11.25 to 6R 1:10 with all parameters being equal.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Going to mount a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 as soon my rings arrive.
    Will it mount low enough that a comb riser won't be required? Will you need a cantilever mount to keep the charging handle clear and still remain mounted to just the receiver rail? Monolithic Rails make Day Scope & Night Vision setups simple. BUIS can also complicate day scope mounting. But there are remedies to most any situation. HK has an excellent rep in the AR-15 World, never had the chance to sample the .308 Win products. Will be interested in hearing about your experiences with your new rifle. Thank you for the inputs & photos.

Derek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Will it mount low enough that a comb riser won't be required? Will you need a cantilever mount to keep the charging handle clear and still remain mounted to just the receiver rail? Monolithic Rails make Day Scope & Night Vision setups simple. BUIS can also complicate day scope mounting. But there are remedies to most any situation. HK has an excellent rep in the AR-15 World, never had the chance to sample the .308 Win products. Will be interested in hearing about your experiences with your new rifle. Thank you for the inputs & photos.
    I originally went with Badger Ordance Rings but they were to low and the objective lens of the scope was contacting the scope rail so I decided to go with 1.375 inch Nightforce rings instead. Once I get everthing mounted and off to the range Ill let all you guys know how it turned out.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Myself I too went with the SIG 716i 308, standard edition tho not the snake bite. It's a good setup right out of the box. It has a full top rail unlike the new ruger. Both are very light. Haven't put hands on the ruger offering yet but my 716i feels like the same weight as some of my AR15s. It's a DI scaled down version of its piston operated brother sig made prior. It's not only lighter but more accurate since it's the DI format and not a gas piston. They made this to accept many AR15 parts like triggers safeties and I wanna say the stocks also but not sure. These are also a combat proven system and they're in use with at least one major army in India last I heard. So they shouldn't be discontinued any time soon. Last I checked also they boast a good list of inner parts and coatings on the bolt. Can't recall what it all is tho but it's good stuff.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I originally went with Badger Ordance Rings but they were to low and the objective lens of the scope was contacting the scope rail so I decided to go with 1.375 inch Nightforce rings instead. Once I get everthing mounted and off to the range Ill let all you guys know how it turned out.
    There are Badger Ord Rings that will do the job, but $$$ are precious. Remember that the 6 screw ring goes forward and the 4 screw ring goes aft. I find that Wheeler offers a ring lapping & mounting kit with a simple to use torque wrench and level levels that make things a snap. Should mounting or ring torque specs prove difficult to access, Badger Ord has recommended specs online. JMHO. But we may be putting the cart in front of the horse? I need a rifle before I need be concerned with the other members of the combo.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Myself I too went with the SIG 716i 308, standard edition tho not the snake bite. It's a good setup right out of the box. It has a full top rail unlike the new ruger. Both are very light. Haven't put hands on the ruger offering yet but my 716i feels like the same weight as some of my AR15s. It's a DI scaled down version of its piston operated brother sig made prior. It's not only lighter but more accurate since it's the DI format and not a gas piston. They made this to accept many AR15 parts like triggers safeties and I wanna say the stocks also but not sure. These are also a combat proven system and they're in use with at least one major army in India last I heard. So they shouldn't be discontinued any time soon. Last I checked also they boast a good list of inner parts and coatings on the bolt. Can't recall what it all is tho but it's good stuff.
    Now Combat Proven and Precision are two different things. The only "Combat Proven Precision" American .308 Win semiautomatic I can recall is the M14NM/M21/M-25. The others fall into Support Systems. YMMV. But one inch groups at 300 yards should be within support system specs?

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I am sure there are a lot of "Black Rifle Folk" out there questioning why a confirmed "Plastic Fantastic" hater is asking for their experience and opinions? Hey, we all learn from mistakes and I'm hoping to not make the same mistakes with .308 "Black Rifles" that experienced 5.56 AR folks made a long the road to becoming experienced. Uncle Sam paid the bill for any and all of my "Black Rifle" knowledge, I would like to keep a few Republic Credits in my wallet if Y'all wouldn't mind sharing your experience? Thanks. Just a poor fixed income dreg on society, with a handicapped spouse. Can y'all help another vet out here? Does anyone have any experience with Ballistic Advantage SS barrels or Aero Precision Either complete rifles or uppers/lowers ?

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I noticed that DPMS Panther Arms is offering a 20 inch rifle length 3 position adjustable gas for 1k MSRP. A little more than PSA, but I have no idea of who is currently producing barrels for DPMS? Might be worth sending it to a quality barrel maker??? Is Krieger still fitting DPMS?

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If you lived in the right place in Fl, You could come by and try out a couple . Have spent over a year playing with the AR 10 platform I think I have ended up with about 5 a one in 6.5CM 16 in 18-20- 22 in barrel H W mid barrels also have a MP and 2 Rock River. they use FN got them because I have a FN Had all kind of problems to start with Gas blocks gas port holes , Buffers and springs bolts , firing pins., , I didn't find no cheap way to do it , went with AERO upper and lower don't get the enhance upper you will limited on hand guards the lower has some features that others don 'have I want get in to the ammo. Have also worked on few other brands that is why I went with the AERO If you want talk call. JUst my 50 cents jj

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All three of the lowers: PSA, DPMS, and Aero are 7075 so I guess it will depend upon which upper best suits my needs as to whichever is used. Since this won't be a run & gun rifle Ambi controls and items other than a bipod with sling point will probably be the only thing hanging on the handguard. Free floating handguard is probably the most important on a Precision Rifle. Not sure if any of the 3 have triggers on par with Gelssle or Tinmy? But that should be a common R&R fix? Is there an actual thousand dollars worth of quality between PSA & Aero? For a hundred hear or there PSA & DPMS sound like a flip of a coin? Faxon makes a fluted 416 SS 20 inch 5R 1:10 Match Barrel with rifle length gas port that should fit any of the three? (SHOULD) Didn't inquire as to Trueing the rxer and bolt during rebarreling. But if the barrel in the Aero build is relatively as accurate as the Faxon it would make the Aero rifle about the same cost as when rebarreling either the PSA or DPMS. Doesn't seem like there is going to be much in the way of cost cutting? Or am I missing something?

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Just keep in mind that most after market 308 AR barrels are made for the DPMS style platform. RRA and Armalite both require difference extensions. Most also "go with the flow" and think 18" barrels are best for the 308 :rolleyes:
    To get what you want 11.25 T w/ 5R will require a gunsmith.
    At the time , the only barrel available in the profile I wanted was a 1-12 Shilen .

Attachments

• AR-10@300 yds 001.JPG
      AR-10@300 yds 001.JPG
      234.4 KB · Views: 20
    Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just keep in mind that most after market 308 AR barrels are made for the DPMS style platform. RRA and Armalite both require difference extensions. Most also "go with the flow" and think 18" barrels are best for the 308 :rolleyes:
    To get what you want 11.25 T w/ 5R will require a gunsmith.
    At the time , the only barrel available in the profile I wanted was a 1-12 Shilen .
    I have found that 22 inch to 28 inch 5R barrels actually perform better with 168-175 SMK's, especially as the distance past 300 yards goes up. But 20 inch match barrels are fairly common and I prefer rifle length to mid gas. YMMV. Did you ever manage to get within 1 inch with IMR 4064? Used to use 3031 with 168 SMK & 4895 with 175 SMK. But 4064 works pretty well for both. YMMV. I believe that at least the first barrel change I'll send to the barrel maker, & request rxer & bolt face Trueing. If I shoot it enough to require multiple barrel changes then I'll consider prefinished.

Last edited:

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Compass Lake Engineering may be an alternative...don't think the list a 5R but call them and see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom