• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    OMG, Ruger mags are $70 each. My how things have changed.

Magpul AICS pattern magazines should work in the Ruger, according to the internet. Maybe pick up one of the cheaper 5rd ones and try it before going all in?

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Magpul AICS pattern magazines should work in the Ruger, according to the internet. Maybe pick up one of the cheaper 5rd ones and try it before going all in?

I've had some troubles with Magpul mags in the Mini-30, but it's prudent to to test them again in a different platform. I didn't go all in, but I did order Ruger Steel mags, 2 qty of the 3 round steel, 2 qty of the 5 round steel, and 1 qty of the 10 round steel. Ruger is also offering plastic fantastic mags for the XT Scout, but I'll definitely wait till after the shake down cruise before going hog wild on $70+ 10 round Ruger mags.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I've had some troubles with Magpul mags in the Mini-30, but it's prudent to to test them again in a different platform. I didn't go all in, but I did order Ruger Steel mags, 2 qty of the 3 round steel, 2 qty of the 5 round steel, and 1 qty of the 10 round steel. Ruger is also offering plastic fantastic mags for the XT Scout, but I'll definitely wait till after the shake down cruise before going hog wild on $70+ 10 round Ruger mags.

Mini 30? Do you mean Pro-Mag? I don't think Magpul makes magazines for the Mini rifles.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mini 30? Do you mean Pro-Mag? I don't think Magpul makes magazines for the Mini rifles.
    It could be Pro-mag. Over the years I've tried most every makers non-metallic mags for M14 derivatives , also M16, and Mini's. Still I keep coming back to original issue metal mags because they continuously perform better longer. I can't recall the maker of the 30 round plastic fantastic mag that proved to an utter failure in my Mini-30. So not to slander any one company, let's just say I've concluded that OEM Metal Mags hold a better track record.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    A couple years ago I had a Magpul 9mm mag seat too deep in a Sub2000 and induce jams. And just yesterday I had every single one of my Magpul 9mm mags I just got with a recent G19 purchase cause undesired things to happen in my recently acquired Vector, by not being able to seat any of the half dozen Magpul mags (even with an open bolt) unless seriously tapping them into the receiver, hard enough to close the bolt with the tap on accident. No such seating issues with OEM Glock mags on any platform. Just Magpul

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    It could be Pro-mag. Over the years I've tried most every makers non-metallic mags for M14 derivatives , also M16, and Mini's. Still I keep coming back to original issue metal mags because they continuously perform better longer. I can't recall the maker of the 30 round plastic fantastic mag that proved to an utter failure in my Mini-30. So not to slander any one company, let's just say I've concluded that OEM Metal Mags hold a better track record.
    I've never heard anything good about any aftermarket Ruger mag, no matter if it was a bolt gun, 10/22 or Mini

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    How about the rotary mags for the RARR ??
    WARNING - -> You MUST be smarter than the mag. How's your mechanical aptitude ?? No wooden mallet needed.
    To me .... a simple understanding of the mags mechanics will suffice. ---- SAWMAN

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    How about the rotary mags for the RARR ??
    WARNING - -> You MUST be smarter than the mag. How's your mechanical aptitude ?? No wooden mallet needed.
    To me .... a simple understanding of the mags mechanics will suffice. ---- SAWMAN
    Do people have trouble with those? They’re really easy.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Yes sir.
    The "just gotta bitch about something" crowd.
    Ruger needs to send detailed directions to them "smart guys".
    I find it easier,AND QUICKER", to load a mag with 5 than a milspec mag with 5.
    To me,easier to insert into the weapon than a milspec also. ---- SAWMAN
    DSC01067.JPG

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guess plastic fantastic mags are like electric BBQ grill starters. Some folks swear bye them, while others swear at them. LOL.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Guess plastic fantastic mags are like electric BBQ grill starters. Some folks swear bye them, while others swear at them. LOL.

I generally agree that metal mags are the way, but AICS pattern mags are stupid expensive for what they are (just my opinion) and Magpuls are a bit more palatable - just trying to give ya alternatives :)

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I generally agree that metal mags are the way, but AICS pattern mags are stupid expensive for what they are (just my opinion) and Magpuls are a bit more palatable - just trying to give ya alternatives :)
    Thank You. Once the rifle arrives and I take it through initial workups, I'll look into it.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got the itch, the Midway Boxes are about to rolling. Who knew that Midway would be having a sale on Tactical Rifle Cases just as I ordered a Removable Mag Rifle. LOL.

PS 500 rounds of WINCHESTER M118 LONG RANGE $1100

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just rxed the Midway packages, suggest that folks stick with the eagle industries butt stock pouches. The competition doesn't come with a sewn elastic strap, easy to displace Velcro strap to secure the pouch at the butt end. Got both heavy & standard Midway tactical rifle cases, jury is still out if the extra couple of dollars are worth spending for the heavy.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939143291

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    There are tons of choices of AICS type mags out there.
    I have two from MagPul (Rem 700SA) coming. Both 10 shot. I also have two more from BERGARA coming which are 5 shot. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are tons of choices of AICS type mags out there.
    I have two from MagPul (Rem 700SA) coming. Both 10 shot. I also have two more from BERGARA coming which are 5 shot. ---- SAWMAN
    The mag don't make the rifle! I can feed it by hand if it's worth it's salt. LOL

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I'm waiting to find out if the Scout Rifle uses the same Ruger Rings as the M77 Hawkeye. Still find it strange that the aft ring is one size taller that the forward ring. (ie #4 forward #5 aft; or #5 forward & #6 aft for 52MM bells.)

So I went to the range last weekend with Lee, a shooting partner of respect, and he asked me if I really would place a $200 day scope on a $1200 rifle????????

We where shooting simple irons from 25-100 yards and he doubled down on me using anything without a min of a MILDOT and glass able to accurately match a True color screen. So perhaps the Scout Day Scopes available won't meet my discerning eye while Hunting etc.......???????????????

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    So I'm waiting to find out if the Scout Rifle uses the same Ruger Rings as the M77 Hawkeye. Still find it strange that the aft ring is one size taller that the forward ring. (ie #4 forward #5 aft; or #5 forward & #6 aft for 52MM bells.)

So I went to the range last weekend with Lee, a shooting partner of respect, and he asked me if I really would place a $200 day scope on a $1200 rifle????????

We where shooting simple irons from 25-100 yards and he doubled down on me using anything without a min of a MILDOT and glass able to accurately match a True color screen. So perhaps the Scout Day Scopes available won't meet my discerning eye while Hunting etc.......???????????????
    Your buddy's a mildot snob. Or he was just making fun of you and pulling your leg. It doesn't matter what scope you're using under 100 yards as long as it doesn't fall off your rifle and it isn't broken. In fact under a hundred yards you are better off without a scope if your rifle has iron sights

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Your buddy's a mildot snob. Or he was just making fun of you and pulling your leg. It doesn't matter what scope you're using under 100 yards as long as it doesn't fall off your rifle and it isn't broken. In fact under a hundred yards you are better off without a scope if your rifle has iron sights
    There may be leg pulling and fun poking going on? LOL. But Lee did make his point. Even the Mini-30 has a 30MM tube Weaver FFP Illuminated EMDR (Improved MILDOT) 2-10 36MM. For the Mini-30 I utilize the ranging function to ensure critters are inside of 150 yards. Nowadays there isn't allot of speed lost between the glass and the irons after 50 yards. (Eyes ain't what they used to be.) And shots out to 300 yards require the use of glass nowadays. So the .308 Win Scout Rifle won't have any horsepower failures to limit it out to 300 yards. With the exception of the Old ARTII (??) every other scope I own has at least a traditional FFP MILDOT or Improved MILDOT reticle, all the way up to and including the MSR. I've grown comfortable with having a ranging reticle for most all my rifle shooting, and especially in the field at unknown distances. So it's going to be a small conflict for me, reverting back to a duplex or supposed BDC when hunting afield. The fact that Ruger includes thier customary rings tells me that I can mount my Second ( I own 2qty) 30mm tube 2-10 36mm FFP Illuminated EMDR Weaver as a traditionally mounted day scope. I already have the #4 & #5 matte stainless rings from the 30-06 Hawkeye Guide Gun, and at over 8 lbs a 50mm bell needs the straight stainless #5 & # 6 rings I purchased when I got the first 300 Win Mag Hawkeye Guide Gun.

Bottom line: It costs me nothing to mount a traditional day scope on the Scout Rifle and I'm sure to be comfortable with it. So is it worth another pair of $225 Badger Rings and either a 3-7 Burris or 3-7 Vortex Scout Scope just to maintain the tradition of a Scout Rifle?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    There may be leg pulling and fun poking going on? LOL. But Lee did make his point. Even the Mini-30 has a 30MM tube Weaver FFP Illuminated EMDR (Improved MILDOT) 2-10 36MM. For the Mini-30 I utilize the ranging function to ensure critters are inside of 150 yards. Nowadays there isn't allot of speed lost between the glass and the irons after 50 yards. (Eyes ain't what they used to be.) And shots out to 300 yards require the use of glass nowadays. So the .308 Win Scout Rifle won't have any horsepower failures to limit it out to 300 yards. With the exception of the Old ARTII (??) every other scope I own has at least a traditional FFP MILDOT or Improved MILDOT reticle, all the way up to and including the MSR. I've grown comfortable with having a ranging reticle for most all my rifle shooting, and especially in the field at unknown distances. So it's going to be a small conflict for me, reverting back to a duplex or supposed BDC when hunting afield. The fact that Ruger includes thier customary rings tells me that I can mount my Second ( I own 2qty) 30mm tube 2-10 36mm FFP Illuminated EMDR Weaver as a traditionally mounted day scope. I already have the #4 & #5 matte stainless rings from the 30-06 Hawkeye Guide Gun, and at over 8 lbs a 50mm bell needs the straight stainless #5 & # 6 rings I purchased when I got the first 300 Win Mag Hawkeye Guide Gun.

Bottom line: It costs me nothing to mount a traditional day scope on the Scout Rifle and I'm sure to be comfortable with it. So is it worth another pair of $225 Badger Rings and either a 3-7 Burris or 3-7 Vortex Scout Scope just to maintain the tradition of a Scout Rifle?
    Is it worth another pair and a scout scope.... if money's not an issue, then yes it's worth it. But I'd try to find the lowest set of QD rings possible.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom