• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it worth another pair and a scout scope.... if money's not an issue, then yes it's worth it. But I'd try to find the lowest set of QD rings possible.
    QD's would be good, but 306-24 USMC rings are easily switched from rail to rail.

dogamus rex

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M1A scout with a bedded stock, put a mini red dot on, trick it out how you like.. I guess it depends what your gonna do with it as to what you need. it doesn't look like this anymore, now it has a wood heat shield and a mini red dot, but whomever had before me did a great job of zeroing the iron sights.

Attachments

• DSC00097.JPG
      DSC00097.JPG
      3.4 MB · Views: 78

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M1A scout with a bedded stock, put a mini red dot on, trick it out how you like.. I guess it depends what your gonna do with it as to what you need. it doesn't look like this anymore, now it has a wood heat shield and a mini red dot, but whomever had before me did a great job of zeroing the iron sights.

9.3 lb Rifle
    BIPOD Harris 11 ounces
    Sling 16 ounces
    Leupold Tactical Scope 27 ounces

12lbs+

Ruger Scout Rifle- 6.8 lbs
    Sling 16 ounces

7.8 lbs.

But I did consider the SOCOM 16 just for the pew-pew-pew factor.

Attachments

• M1A-Loaded.jpg
      M1A-Loaded.jpg
      2.7 MB · Views: 72
    Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    There does exist a 308 FAL pistol. I was not impressed with my 308 AR10 pistol. I've had a couple AK pistols too, but they're only good for slinging lead

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There does exist a 308 FAL pistol. I was not impressed with my 308 AR10 pistol. I've had a couple AK pistols too, but they're only good for slinging lead
    Don't know how well an AR/AK/FAL Pistol will be received at the Rangers Station? But a bolt action with a 3 round clip shouldn't raise to many eyebrows. LOL.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Don't know how well an AR/AK/FAL Pistol will be received at the Rangers Station? But a bolt action with a 3 round clip shouldn't raise to many eyebrows. LOL.
    For the weight of my AR10 308 pistol I might as well have had a AR10 308 rifle for only a few ounces more. The only benefit I see was the legalities of loaded pistols kept in vehicles versus loaded rifles, especially going thru certain state forests

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For the weight of my AR10 308 pistol I might as well have had a AR10 308 rifle for only a few ounces more. The only benefit I see was the legalities of loaded pistols kept in vehicles versus loaded rifles, especially going thru certain state forests
    Are we still conversing about Coopers Scout Rifle?

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Are we still conversing about Coopers Scout Rifle?
    Scout rifles (as in lightweight magfed scoped 308's) yes. No reason to limit yourself with a bolt action when you can add semiauto capabilities to the list of what Coopers scout rifle can do without adding a lot of weight

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Scout rifles (as in lightweight magfed scoped 308's) yes. No reason to limit yourself with a bolt action when you can add semiauto capabilities to the list of what Coopers scout rifle can do without adding a lot of weight
    I like the pew-pew-pew factor, but I like a reasonably priced sub 7 lb rifle even more!

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    I like the pew-pew-pew factor, but I like a reasonably priced sub 7 lb rifle even more!
    The new Gen3 AR10 308's weigh as little as an AR15, especially if/when the AR10 market gets into the same magnesium technology that the 5 pound AR15's have right now

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    NOT on my above criteria ( extremely light weight guns).
    Got a 223/5.56 AR UNDER 6.0 lbs. Bring a C NOTE and come out to my range and out shoot my 24" 9.5lb 223Rem or even my 16" 8lb LWRCI.
    I can afford to loose a hunnerd. ---- SAWMAN

wvfatboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I took my Ruger Gunsite Scout to ECGC today. I have a 3x9x40 Leupold VX-R FireDot on it setting in Leupold Backcountry mounts and rings. I used brand new Federal Fusion 180 Grain ammo. I was shooting 2 inch groups at 150 yards with only a sandbag and my shoulder--and I am old ! This gun is capable of much better grouping I'm sure. It is without doubt my most accurate rifle including my Tikkas and Winchesters. Very easy on the shoulder too ! Planning on buying another one.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    NOT on my above criteria ( extremely light weight guns).
    Got a 223/5.56 AR UNDER 6.0 lbs. Bring a C NOTE and come out to my range and out shoot my 24" 9.5lb 223Rem or even my 16" 8lb LWRCI.
    I can afford to loose a hunnerd. ---- SAWMAN

I don't believe that a .223/5.56 is practical on the Red Cloud Range. Perhaps with allot of luck you could regularly ring a 750 yard plate, but thier ain't many that ring the 1K steel with a .22 caliber.

PS: Thanks for the invite, it would be worth $100 to spend a day at the range reminiscing with another Old Vet. Regardless of who came away with Bragging Rights. LOL.

Last edited:

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    IOW - -> show me a super accurate,super light weight rifle,any action.
    Any AR pistol ???
    Cooper said "pie plate at 100 yards from any shooting position under all weather conditions is sufficient" or something like that. The Scout Rifle doesn't have to be a gnats ass rifle. Cover the vitals at a 100 yards. A $400 Savage or Ruger American can do that in spades. So can an AR pistol. Take a 5 pound AR pistol in, say, 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster. Real knock-down power in a 5 pound AR15... calibers and options that didn't exist in Coopers time. I bet he'd be enthusiasticly embracing the new tech, same as any other grunt.

Fear21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Cooper said "pie plate at 100 yards from any shooting position under all weather conditions is sufficient" or something like that. The Scout Rifle doesn't have to be a gnats ass rifle. Cover the vitals at a 100 yards. A $400 Savage or Ruger American can do that in spades. So can an AR pistol. Take a 5 pound AR pistol in, say, 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster. Real knock-down power in a 5 pound AR15... calibers and options that didn't exist in Coopers time. I bet he'd be enthusiasticly embracing the new tech, same as any other grunt.
    If I were to go the AR pistol / SBR route, I'd probably pick 6.5 Grendel. Good do-it-all round that fits in with the Scout concept, IMO.

Members online

Top Bottom