• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    I can find it for like a buck a round without trying..... How is poly case triple that?

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Is that $69 for 20 rounds of 308 the going rate? :eek:
    I've only briefly read about it and watched a video or two as far as the Spear program was involved with some.
    But...
    It's main selling point was higher PSI being able to be made. I forget why exactly.
    That.. and it's supposed to make guns in full auto run cooler. They say...
    But it's part of why SIG was able to make such high pressure claims on the new rigs. The numbers many wasn't impressed by tho. But.. those who griped was comparing it to numbers out of 18+ inch barrel calibers of similar numbers. Sig did it with shorter barrels. So there's something to be said there about it.
    There's debate on the cooling factor tho. Some stay the conventional ejecting brass carries heat out during extraction and away out of the gun. But the makers of the poly claim the casing don't transfer the heat to begin with tho. So yeah I'll have to read up again on it all and do a circle back Jen on the matter lol.

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Is that $69 for 20 rounds of 308 the going rate? :eek:
    Oh and the case end being made the way it is is partly why it can do so much psi. Sort of like the new Liberty etc has 2 part cases. The sides stay pliable and seal as usual but the rear is extra heavy duty. That's what I gathered anyways.
    I wanna say they can be reloaded too but not much if true. Don't quote me on that tho

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Other than some promised higher psi (which if you're gun isn't rated for it no ways why bother) and full auto, I don't see the benefit for civilian use yet tho honestly. I don't think they'll sell spicey meatballs in calibers we have now just for safety reasons alone. Unless they do like liberty did and lighten the projectile a ton. So if it's typical grain weights being sold it likely won't be worth the money to the average Joe till they get let's say a 308 chambered to handle the added psi they can provide. Even then they would have people who didn't know the difference and blowing up rifles. So I'm not really sure why they selling it yet. Stands to reason they'd have to make a caliber similar to 308, but not 308 and sell it in high psi that way to ensure no one blows up. But that's just me thinking out loud tho. Again don't quote me please lol

DAS HUGH!

Master
    So eventually we may see something like how they did with the 223 and 556 to get the added benefits. But to a larger degree?

lakelandmusic

Expert
    Well, that would be an inconvenience, if cartridges started showing up with composite cases at $69 a box. All my guns are earth guns. They stay on the ground, and haven't even fell off a boat.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    There's debate on the cooling factor tho. Some stay the conventional ejecting brass carries heat out during extraction and away out of the gun. But the makers of the poly claim the casing don't transfer the heat to begin with tho.

I'm no scientist but based on the Law of Thermal Transfer (LTT), I don't see how the poly case leads to less heat.

I can see based on the LTT how a brass or steel case will absorbs some of the total heat energy generated thus meaning a cooler firearm as the portion absorbed by the case never gets transferred to the firearm.

BluesBrother

Master
    Yeah, same here. I wonder how it does in a fluted chamber? Just figured I'd share for science.
    Good point. Makes you wonder who came up with this idea? Are they aware fluted chambers exist? Do they even care? Likely not. If they do okay in fluted chamber, will they ever degrade in land fill? Likely not "green".

Latest posts

Top Bottom