HD Tactical

POA-POI how do you ZERO your hunting rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I prefer to set my scope cold bore shots for my farthest average shot and set my zero at 100yd for the distance. For instance my .243 is set 1.5 high at 100 puts It on at 200 and still with in kill zone from 250-300. The below is my ruger American .243 with a leupold 3x9x50 at 200 yards shooting .95 grain hornady precision hunters. I always sight in off sand bags with 5 shot groups. I do not like vises. Sorry don’t know as much technical description as many on here and there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

don't get much better than that picture.. meat in the freezer kill shot

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perhaps mindset,equipment and Marksmanship have more to do with your Zero selection than raw theory.

Starting with mindset:
    If your a stalk hunter what is the maximum range you can honestly expect to hit the vital zone of the game you are hunting from a standing position? Tailoring your equipment to stalk hunting, nimble & light weight may be prefered.
    If your a stand hunter shooting from a kneeling or prone position, the stability of your platform may increase your maximum range to the point that heavier flatter shooting equipment would be required.

Now equipment isn't just the arrow, it's all the bits & bobs that assist the hunter to improve overall marksmanship. The ability to determine range to target can greatly improve the precision of the shot. Handheld rangefinders are becoming common afield, and Ranging Reticles have been with us for years.

Marksmanship takes into account mindset and equipment. Long range shooters need different skills & equipment, than a Jump shooter.

A simple Mildot reticle can be quite a Precision/Marksmanship aid.

Here is what 400 yards looks like: Imagine how small a 36 inch deer would be.

reticle_view.jpg

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Perhaps mindset,equipment and Marksmanship have more to do with your Zero selection than raw theory.

Starting with mindset:
    If your a stalk hunter what is the maximum range you can honestly expect to hit the vital zone of the game you are hunting from a standing position? Tailoring your equipment to stalk hunting, nimble & light weight may be prefered.
    If your a stand hunter shooting from a kneeling or prone position, the stability of your platform may increase your maximum range to the point that heavier flatter shooting equipment would be required.

Now equipment isn't just the arrow, it's all the bits & bobs that assist the hunter to improve overall marksmanship. The ability to determine range to target can greatly improve the precision of the shot. Handheld rangefinders are becoming common afield, and Ranging Reticles have been with us for years.

Marksmanship takes into account mindset and equipment. Long range shooters need different skills & equipment, than a Jump shooter.

View attachment 84851
    [/QUOTE

Starting with mindset:

View attachment 84851
    I agree a mildot scope can be very valuable in long range shots and def have there place. For me its just to much going on in my field of view. I shot a deer this year at 321 yards. I use a Nikon self stabilizing range finder. Told my buddy it had a good rack but little body. He being on the other side of the field told me I was crazy and it was over 200lb. After going back and forth for a while I realized I was still on 4x and never turned up the power. lol. Proves that being comfortable and proficient with your equipment and mindset is invaluable when making a shot.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now I have a self imposed 300 yard limit on game from the prone position even with the best of equipment, so I'd have let that one walk or stalked a bit closer. Any miscalculated variable in a shooting solution, especially operator error, is magnified with distance.

A duplex reticle would not be my first choice if the game animal was about the same size as say the guy squatting in the 400 yard scope view photo. JMHO.

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now I have a self imposed 300 yard limit on game from the prone position even with the best of equipment, so I'd have let that one walk or stalked a bit closer. Any miscalculated variable in a shooting solution, especially operator error, is magnified with distance.

A duplex reticle would not be my first choice if the game animal was about the same size as say the guy squatting in the 400 yard scope view photo. JMHO.
    I was hunting a blind sitting in a chair with primos tripod trigger sticks 12 degrees out with 2mph wind coming straight from my back checked with talcom puff bottle. My family and friends have always said I was blessed with the ability to shoot and could walk in the woods to take a sh** and come out with game. lol. I don't own or shoot a lot of different firearms for fun. I train with the firearms I will be using although it is relaxing every shot I take I train like its the last and only shot ill ever get. I feel what ever I'm shooting at deserves that courtesy. I am taking a life to sustain mine not to make anything suffer. The only time I wont squeeze the trigger is if I don't feel comfortable. I don't drink any caffeine,alcohol or stimulants rite before or during hunting season that I know I will be making long range shots. Every one has there limits its those that know and follow those limits that make the difference between ethical hunters and those that just want to shoot something. I do applaud you for having your limits. a lot of people in the woods now adays don't.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a curious gun guy, I often strike up gun/gear conversations at public ranges during "Range Cold" periods. If I see tall and marked turrets I'll make inquires about the scope, reticle and system as there continues to be improvements and varaitions. I am frequently disappointed by owners of great Mil Dot scopes that don't know squat about their application: tacticool but not used as a tactical tool. I'm not trying to be a snob and freely admit I don't recall formulas as well and my math solutions are slow to the point a cheat sheet is handy. Lol. I'm only addressing this because there is some disparity between owning "gear" and using it well. I guess it would be same if I bought a 500 S&W Mag (hell no).

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was hunting a blind sitting in a chair with primos tripod trigger sticks 12 degrees out with 2mph wind coming straight from my back checked with talcom puff bottle. My family and friends have always said I was blessed with the ability to shoot and could walk in the woods to take a sh** and come out with game. lol. I don't own or shoot a lot of different firearms for fun. I train with the firearms I will be using although it is relaxing every shot I take I train like its the last and only shot ill ever get. I feel what ever I'm shooting at deserves that courtesy. I am taking a life to sustain mine not to make anything suffer. The only time I wont squeeze the trigger is if I don't feel comfortable. I don't drink any caffeine,alcohol or stimulants rite before or during hunting season that I know I will be making long range shots. Every one has there limits its those that know and follow those limits that make the difference between ethical hunters and those that just want to shoot something. I do applaud you for having your limits. a lot of people in the woods now adays don't.

Why 300 yards? Having spent a lot of time on the 300 KDR during my life, I realize just how often 40 for a 40X-400 are performed. Now that I'm getting Older, it's getting dang hard to rundown even a wounded deer if you give em a 400 yard head start. (LOL) But it's True.
    I'm not judging! The goal is to fill the freezer and anyone that accomplishes that without losing an animal is working within thier limits. But the Older I get, the faster those deer seem to run. I think them deer found a better trainer than the one they had when I was young? LOL.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As a curious gun guy, I often strike up gun/gear conversations at public ranges during "Range Cold" periods. If I see tall and marked turrets I'll make inquires about the scope, reticle and system as there continues to be improvements and varaitions. I am frequently disappointed by owners of great Mil Dot scopes that don't know squat about their application: tacticool but not used as a tactical tool. I'm not trying to be a snob and freely admit I don't recall formulas as well and my math solutions are slow to the point a cheat sheet is handy. Lol. I'm only addressing this because there is some disparity between owning "gear" and using it well. I guess it would be same if I bought a 500 S&W Mag (hell no).

If they got a Mil-dot Master in the butstock pouch, perhaps you could ask them how they use it?
    Folks always feel better when they can pass along.

For lone operator use the MSR Steiner/S&B has become my favorite.

steiner-msr-reticle.jpg

Last edited:

Gator1067

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why 300 yards? Having spent a lot of time on the 300 KDR during my life, I realize just how often 40 for a 40X-400 are performed. Now that I'm getting Older, it's getting dang hard to rundown even a wounded deer if you give em a 400 yard head start. (LOL) But it's True.
    I'm not judging! The goal is to fill the freezer and anyone that accomplishes that without losing an animal is working within thier limits. But the Older I get, the faster those deer seem to run. I think them deer found a better trainer than the one they had when I was young? LOL.
    No offense taken at all. I am always open to all opinions.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No offense taken at all. I am always open to all opinions.
    Thank You, no offense was meant.
    I was just pointing out that at this stage in my life long range shooting is confined to paper or metal targets. Like Dirty Harry stated "A Man has got to know his limitations" 300 yards is just mine. Every ethical hunter will set thier own. Many folks plink P-Dogs well beyond 400 yards, P-Dogs are much smaller than deer usually. Yet most of the folks that shoot P-Dogs don't have many P-Dog Recipes, so perhaps that is not exactly hunting? (LOL)

Top Bottom