• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj1

Marksman
    Has anyone ever built one of these contraptions like I've heard about? Usually a blue plastic barrel with the top and bottom cut off, lined with some kind of sound absorbing material.
    I would be shooting .22lr and maybe .22 Magnum out of my Heritage Rough Rider.
    Anyone's experience with something like this, or any other ideas to mitigate noise, would be welcome. Thanks in advance,
    Sj1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240902-183555.png
      Screenshot_20240902-183555.png
      531.1 KB · Views: 17

rossi

Master
    Just "Egg Crate Foam" inside a barrel. People have also made round frames with chicken wire, and square frames from plywood. I don't know how effective it is. I've never tried it. I know some shooting ranges are putting up similar foam between lanes. I guess it has some merit.

5lima30ret

Master
    It might be worth trying some of the automotive sound deadening mat that is used in trunks for bass speakers. Good luck!

BluesBrother

Master
    Has anyone ever built one of these contraptions like I've heard about? Usually a blue plastic barrel with the top and bottom cut off, lined with some kind of sound absorbing material.
    I would be shooting .22lr and maybe .22 Magnum out of my Heritage Rough Rider.
    Anyone's experience with something like this, or any other ideas to mitigate noise, would be welcome. Thanks in advance,
    Sj1
    He's wearing ear protection with a can on his rifle. Plus that contraption? What is the concern?

sloporsche

Master
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I knew a guy that strung a clothes line up in his basement and hung blankets like a tent and let his lawn mower run outside while he tested a sten on full auto . The plastic barrel idea will help with noise by adding more barrels and insulating the outside too and making the entrance / exits smaller and insulated . If ya wanna get technical there are dozens of scientific books [ one good one by US gov] on sound wave /gas pressure mitigation . A legal sound suppressor is imho the answer but heck that sten guy [i heard] once built one from a police mag light for a 22 [short worked best] at peak you only heard the action cycle and maybe brass hitting something ,they need to be refreshed after so many rounds out ......and do not used anything that burns inside lol

BluesBrother

Master
    i was referring to a smell ....my pant leg was on fire and i did not know it until i smelled it in my helmet while welding
    I thought we were talking about the sound of gun fire and I added the smell of burnt gun powder. Burnt flesh? No thanks.

Reactions: sj1

IronBeard

Master
    If the muzzle of your weapon touches that in any way, and you are observed by "the authorities," you have deliberately, and knowingly, both manufactured a "silencer" and attached it to your weapon without paying the government for permission to do so. Doom on you.

Top Bottom