• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Isn't the choice of a "survival knife" (cutting tool) based on your geographical environment? I'm not casting stone on artic comments because you can surely suffer similar risks with hypothermia from exposure right here on the Gulf though onset time is longer. Survival Tool is in fact a starting point and not the "limit" on what you will build/have in the future. There are several ways to make fire without striking sparks, degree of difficulty applies as does availability of combustibles materials. I don't think raw bluber will ignite from spark, processed into oil it might. Spermaceti from a whale/dolphin skull is already waxy and may burn upon exposure to flame, IDK? Like a lot of folks, I've flame tanked a grill from melted fat and flame. Lol
    In a survival mode are we going to be concerend for aesthetic of appearance of our tiny or large fish? Same with game small and large, no rule against cutting a wider buffer zone around the brown eye. Sharp will allow precision when patience is applied, no matter what the blade size is.

In that geo environment do we consider just the flora and fona or automatically include man and further as a threat? The predatory Man factor essentially eliminates intellectual superiority that augments our physical limitations when dealing with normal flora/fauna issues. This in turn becomes the priority in survival tool choice. Without a Man factor, I could do fine with a Leatherman multitool. With the Man factor included, a more substantial weapon or the time and resources to make them is needed.

The geo location, in the here and now: will also frame what can be scavanged locally and that will also define what the Survival tools requirement are.

Just food for thought on a wide topic.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can squeeze the oil out of raw blubber onto a qulliq, but you shall need to construct a wick to make it light & function properly.

About geo location, guess we each are in different locations as we read this. Yet if we knew what geo location we would become involved in a survival situation, we would probably not be there.

I believe that I mentioned Non-Combat, even so the Army has been issuing Multitools instead of Bayonets & KABARs. So Big Green has determined that the Multitool is superior.

Now a cutting tool isn't all that important when adrift in a rubber raft, yet being able to stab a small passing meal or slap test then open a 40 year old steel can of water might be?

(Slap test: prior to opening the sealed steel cans of potable water stored in Navy rubber rafts, you would listen for the echo from within the can when slapped to ensure that the seal hadn't been breached. )

But ashore in the timberland items can be readily produced with a cutting tool. Stone age man even made do with fractured rocks. But we have the advantage of Magnesium Fire Starters,
    ( https://www.harborfreight.com/magne...MItJf6yfCc7gIVkMmUCR3UZQCwEAQYAiABEgJgsfD_BwE )
    and prefabricated knives. Since the man-hours to create fire will be drastically reduced utilizing the prefabricated items it's strongly recommended that you have them with you. JMHO.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But you have me at a crossroad Wildrider666, you acknowledge the relevance of hand guards, yet you spotlight the fine motor skills of precision cuts. We both know that you are stuck with the hand that Mother Nature Deals you when alone in the woods, but all that fades into the nothingness if Combat Mental or Physical with another Human is required to survive. With the exception of "Skippy" nothing else welds a projectile weapon.

Yet you must capture the fish of any size prior to cleaning the fish in any manor.

You must harvest the deer prior to field dressing it.

You must make a trap prior to butchering a critter snared in the trap.

Most folks are lucky to gather tinder inside of a mangrove swamp and fuel a fire even when equipped with modern Magnesium & a Carbon Steel Knife.

But we both know and are currently using stainless steel blades within the salt water kingdom and counting on previous experience or modern convenience to manufacture fire.

So you have no need of a Survival Knife, yet you have yet to mention your requirements for a bushcraft knife, all you have mentioned is a fighting knife. Do you expect to live the rest of your life solely within the Concrete Jungle? Or can we expect to hear of vacation time spent on the waterways or within the timber?

Even I at an advanced age can predict time spent in the Wild of a Cabin at Fort Wilderness upon Disney Grounds, outside of the Concrete Jungle. Perhaps even a little time aboard a Floating Jungle Excursion that takes me outside the Concrete Jungle. How far from nature have you evolved? Just a question for the curious?

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I said in a survival situation, I have no reason for precise cuts on food (there could be exception if your cutting on yourself). I don't think a stainless steel blade will outlast other good carbon steel blades with minimal upkeep. If a person can "survive" the number of years required for a minimally mintained blade to corrode beyond usefulness, they are doing really well. Lol. No, I don't need a special survival knife. If we add the human predator factor: a fighting knife is desired: mine has balance (maneuverable/not blade heavy), reach and no guard. If a person only had a sword, couldn't the hilt or backbone (wrap as needed) rest on their shoulder and do fine work with the tip? Sharpness determines the ability to do fine/precise work not blade size. Overall size determines convenience for the application. Tool configuration dictates manhours to achieve the desired result. Survival is about making do with what you have in an imperfect situation. If the location can provide the resources for shelter, fire and collecttion food/water, can it be done without factory made survival gear: Yes but its up to you. Lesser skills require more dependence on "necessary gear". A basic knife makes a better scalpel than it would make a machete so the long way around is best.

The knife tipped spear is often presented in survival knife applications. That's fine if you want to risk knife loss or breakage. I'd rather make multiple spears or stabbing tools (tipped or bare, fire hardening is a myth: slightly hardens exterior but weakens the woods strength). Fire is fine for reducing bulk and making a point if no other means exist. Knife tipped spear accuracy when thrown, is iffy at best. Thrusting/jabbing is its strong but limited application. Slashing is iffy too as indexing the edge in direction of movement is required for effectiveness and may well be contrary to the structural strength of its mounting. I see no advantage putting you best tool/weapon on a stick and not in hands reach. Spearfishing without a barbed tip will cause many missed opportunities. Snares and fish traps work 24/7. We can throw or Sling launch stones make spear launchers to increase velocity, make bow and arrows. Allthe above minimize or eliminate a knife tipped spear practicality.

I think we equip ourselves according to what we expect during the day/night/period of time, to present us with. I'm routinly within a five mile radius of my beachy suburban abode, don't need a survival knife: have guns/mags and a general purpose blade. Going to other environments we prep accordingly. I've got a tethered fixed blade cheapo Gator knife (powder coated) for yaking, and other tools for hunting/camping but nothing is titled or viewed as a "survival knife". Far too many people thing a BIG Specialty knife is needed to fill survival needs: that's too much TV time impressions. Lol. Is it the "survival knife" that's important or the knowledge of how to use a blade/tool to survive? If a person can't make fire without a ignition spark device: they are behind the power curve. Its nice to pad your gear with extras but its foolish to believe they won't be seperated from you, crap happens and crutches get lost. If you don't have knife/tool, you should still know how to make a fire. Fire was not man's first tool but it was a game changer: heat, protection, food/water/weapons prep are a few uses. I'm not shooting down having a sharpening stone or a magnesium/flint rod (and stuff). What I'm saying is you must have the knowledge to survive without them or the perfect rambo or Bear Grylls endorsed knife. VMMV

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMG_20200310_203348.jpg

We need not limit ourselves to just one size or style of knife. After all Buck Pathfinder and a Buck Skinner make good company while hunting.

Attachments

• KOA_magnum_wolverine.jpg
      KOA_magnum_wolverine.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 126
    • 8980-camp-knife.png
      8980-camp-knife.png
      66.6 KB · Views: 87
    • One-piece-Stainless-Scalpel.jpg
      One-piece-Stainless-Scalpel.jpg
      2.6 KB · Views: 132
    • magulu.jpg
      magulu.jpg
      39.9 KB · Views: 88

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    " I'm not shooting down having a sharpening stone or a magnesium/flint rod (and stuff). What I'm saying is you must have the knowledge to survive without them or the perfect rambo or Bear Grylls endorsed knife. VMMV"

Knowledge alone isn't the same as hands on training or ability.
    Everyone on this forum (carte blanche) knows that you need only rub two sticks together to create a fire. Yet few are those that have actually selected species of wood for Bow Drill and Hearth board, yet more time may be required to actually accomplish the task of making fire from such primitive methods. Perhaps most have never even attempted more or less completed fire from flint & steel. Not to mention that those that have actually used two rocks to strike and stoke a fire are near dinosaur proportions nowadays. I'll wager that half those viewing don't own or have yet to use a Simple ZIPPO Lighter. More BBQ's, Fireplaces, Campfires, fires etc... are ignited by some form of disposable lighter than the collective of viewers that have even actually attempted to strike a fire via any other method. YMMV.

Survival isn't assured even with the skill of repetitive hands on (OJT) success! The odds of you being able to perform a Survival Required Simple operation based upon knowledge without practice when faced with a life or death situation are astronomical!

Bottom Line: The Knowledge of how to make a fire isn't equal to the experience of having made said fire in practice while utilizing that knowledge. Yet the ability to produce fire from that knowledge is no guarantee that one shall survive the situation even if able to repetitively perform that singular skillset. JMH Experience.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMG_20180118_192051.jpg

Perhaps we should start with the glowing embers from flint & steel with a little Australian Help.

Yup I made this fire at my kitchen table with these elements and got kicked off some high profile survival forums when their moderators couldn't manage to make fire with these elements. It's better to be in charge of a keyboard, than be able to make this work when in a real Survival situation. I'm passing this to Richard Graves Students, you can make this happen, I have and I'm giving you the photographic proof. Like Nike, just do it!

Now is the time to describe what that fire making tube is called, how it's used, and how you make one. JMHO.

Sorry my camera skills with a cellphone are lacking, inside the tube there is a ember, and it shall make fire. Yet you have to be able to create proper carbon cloth to make this work in practice. JMHO

Last edited:

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    View attachment 104334

Perhaps we should start with the glowing embers from flint & steel with a little Australian Help.

Yup I made this fire at my kitchen table with these elements and got kicked off some high profile survival forums when their moderators couldn't manage to make fire with these elements. It's better to be in charge of a keyboard, than be able to make this work when in a real Survival situation. I'm passing this to Richard Graves Students, you can make this happen, I have and I'm giving you the photographic proof. Like Nike, just do it!

Now is the time to describe what that fire making tube is called, how it's used, and how you make one. JMHO.

Sorry my camera skills with a cellphone are lacking, inside the tube there is a ember, and it shall make fire. Yet you have to be able to create proper carbon cloth to make this work in practice. JMHO

I don’t see any fire...

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    View attachment 104334

Thought at first Char Cloth , but to carry active ember , smudge pot , to keep an ember alive in a closed ? Container . .

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ever wish you could recall a fire starting kits name?
    The Lads in South Africa craft copper tubes filled with cotton and char the end to accept a spark. If I could recall the kits name I'm sure that there are UTUBE vids on how to make and use the (to ta do). TONTELDOOS

Instead of fabricating one from soft copper, a 4 inch gal nipple with two screw on end caps takes a lot more abuse, but it is heavier.

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Now after careful considerations, does a M9 Bayonet affixed to a 12 GA Black Water 590A1 shotgun, constitute a Fighting Knife? Perhaps the USMC Carbon Steel Bayonet would make a better Survival Fighting Knife than the M9? But as long as either is attached to the 590A1 I've got a few rounds of 00 or slugs to determine the outcome in my favor, that's my idea of a Fighting Knife for Survival. LOL.

Top Bottom