Picked up a G40 MOS gen 4, education required.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I also bought the SCS MOS direct mount optic... Solar with rechargeable battery.built in and can use factory irons if needed.
    Is that the "auto brightness level" model? If so, let us know how it works out... the brightness part, I mean : )

I've just written S&W to let them know that the "loaded chamber window" (first pic) in the top of the slide/barrel hood on my new "optic-ready" M&P is not compatible with optics... it directs a jet of hot gasses and powder residue directly onto the optic lens, and already looks like it's causing a permanent mark on the lens after only 100 rds.!

Worst part is, you don't need that hole, since you can see if a round is in the chamber by looking in between the barrel and slide near the extractor (second pic).

Attachments

• S&W_13567.png
      S&W_13567.png
      757.5 KB · Views: 36
    • DSC09439web.jpg
      DSC09439web.jpg
      517.2 KB · Views: 37

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    WTH? That's terrible. Headspace?
    Obviously could be headspace, oversize chamber (diameter-wise), etc., but more likely just bad placement of the "window". Hot gasses normally leak past the brass (note how much soot and powder residue ends up on your breech-face, around the extractor, etc.), but that hole just directs it perfectly onto the lens of the optic.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The Devil hooked me up with the SCS MOS sight. Solar with rechargeable battery. Thank you, G-rat. :) Direct mount to the slide and allows iron sight backup. Lower, smaller too. Now sadly nothing else to fiddle with. Only thing left is get a deer or hog in front of it!
    20230306_150918.jpg
    20230306_150928.jpg
    20230306_150949.jpg

Last edited:

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Need to read more about this. Dosent appear to have a way to adjust the brightness. Its automatically adjusted. Guess time to read the instructions!

Last edited:

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Need to read more about this. Dosent appear to have a way to adjust the brightness. Its automatically adjusted. Guess time to read the instructions!
    Yep... I was going to say "Let us know how the auto-brightness works out"!

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May have found a work-around for the powder-jet that is hitting my optic lens...

I first noticed the residue after a couple of mags, and started cleaning it off by blowing the front and rear of the lens off with compressed air (to remove any potential grit), then 'huffing" on it and polishing the moisture off with Q-Tips. Did this every couple of mags. After about 100 rounds, a more permanent (but so far tiny) mark remained, so I tried the same process, but with rubbing alcohol instead of the "fog". The mark remained. Crap.

Then I remembered my "magic stuff", link below. I've been using it for nearly 40 years, and it actually inspired me to transition my mobile auto repair service into primarily mobile detailing back in the mid-80s. Keep in mind that it is about 45% mineral spirits, and 45% water, and the other 10% is the "magic" part : )

Anyway, I put about a half-drop on a Q-Tip, polished the lens, first with the "wet" tip, then with a couple of dry ones after the polish dried (only takes about 15 seconds for it to dry) and the mark was gone... lens looks better than new.

Just keep in mind, I'll say "Don't try this at home" : ) Don't forget the mineral spirits, and the effect it may have on any adhesive securing the lens (not even likely, but... ). But, if you do it correctly, the polish will never get onto the adhesive anyway. If you just barely dampen the Q-Tip with the polish, it won't run into the corner, and since the Q-Tip has a good-sized radius, it will keep you from applying it into the corner where any adhesive would be. I actually got too much on my Q-Tip at first, but rolled it on a paper towel to draw out the excess.

Regardless, knowing how protective this stuff is, I'll be applying it to any future pistol optic... or even rifle optic that is exposed to muzzle-blast... before I even mount it! : )

Amazon product ASIN B0002LBKF6

Oh, and, there are smaller bottles available. That one ^^^ will do about 10 cars if you do it right : )

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Read up on it. Bump the button and you can change it, it remembers the setting. So far, so good, works fine, in or outside. Only has one button that controls everything. Pretty dang slick, all kinds of built in features.
    Aha! If I remember correctly, you can set the range in which it auto-adjusts, correct?

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aha! If I remember correctly, you can set the range in which it auto-adjusts, correct?
    Looks like it. So far it's been fine, may be an issue if you have a light attached. In the dark. This is not a HD weapon, critter shooting out doors in the day time.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    The Devil hooked me up with the SCS MOS sight. Solar with rechargeable battery. Thank you, G-rat. :) Direct mount to the slide and allows iron sight backup. Lower, smaller too. Now sadly nothing else to fiddle with. Only thing left is get a deer or hog in front of it! View attachment 213846 View attachment 213847 View attachment 213848
    +3 months in a drawer. Will check it and see if it's still working. May get to test the recharge function.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom