• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Thanks!! I usually use rem oil. Oil it up, let it sit it actually appears to leaves a film on the parts when it evaporates.
    Your right though, I think they sweep the floor in the factory and throw it in the hoppers when no one is looking. 22 lr especially thunderbolt is nasty. I got the pistol for fun, and remember the Grendel and always thought it was cool. Been looking for more 22 mag but no luck locally, but I know a guy. .. I do need 2 more mags
    I had a gunsmith tell me not to use Remoil or other dry lubes specifically because it would not soak in to the metal and would leave a film. He said that you want the porous metal to act as a reservoir for oil, and the teflon in the remoil would seal those pores. What do you think?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    If I were to acquire a PMR or CMR I would moly coat the bbl PROPERLY,BEFORE I FIRED IT.
    But then,I am anal about all my guns.
    I shoot one shot while hunting,my AR is opened up and cleaned throughly. I still - -> maintain my equipment so it will maintain me. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: I still use Break Free CLP,everywhere. Internals,bbl cleaning,etc. Apply it,wipe it "dry" . . .it's still there.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    If I were to acquire a PMR or CMR I would moly coat the bbl PROPERLY,BEFORE I FIRED IT.
    But then,I am anal about all my guns.
    I shoot one shot while hunting,my AR is opened up and cleaned throughly. I still - -> maintain my equipment so it will maintain me. ---- SAWMAN
    ADDED: I still use Break Free CLP,everywhere. Internals,bbl cleaning,etc. Apply it,wipe it "dry" . . .it's still there.
    CLP is all I use, too, on everything

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I would also add - - -> I do not do extended range sessions anymore.
    Initial scope sight in and training with my EDC guns amounts to 20-40rds or so. It is more like a re-fam. Load work up is 15-20 rds.
    Most of these guns start out ultra clean and some are cleaned at the range in the middle of a shooting session. An examp,e of this would be load developement for the smaller bore guns. (<.308")
    To each their own re. weapons cleaning. There are a million "theories " out there.
    Remember also - - -> a reason to keep your weapons clean is just not cleanliness but wear on moving parts. Especially the parts that take the dirt,heat,and carbon fouling. This,in gas and blowback operated guns especially. This is one reason for owning single shots like the T/C and CVA style actioned guns. ---- SAWMAN

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been using a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil / Mobil 1 30w home brew in all my guns for about 15 years. A lot better than most the expensive "snake oils" out there! It works especially well on AR's & AKs and makes cleaning gas tubes a snap! I picked it up from another instructor I worked with as a cop. He teaches high volume carbine courses to government contractors going over to the sandbox and that's all they use all they use in those courses. Good luck!

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am waiting for keltec to make a PM 5.7 or PM 7.62x25. I do not really need one, but I want it anyway if it is keltec cheap lol. .

Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have been using a 50/50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil / Mobil 1 30w home brew in all my guns for about 15 years. A lot better than most the expensive "snake oils" out there! It works especially well on AR's & AKs and makes cleaning gas tubes a snap! I picked it up from another instructor I worked with as a cop. He teaches high volume carbine courses to government contractors going over to the sandbox and that's all they use all they use in those courses. Good luck!

Comes close to an Ed's Red

Jpyritz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    CLP is all I use, too, on everything
    when in the military as an infantryman I’ve used my fair share of clp, I have a fondness for the smell now. I used a lot of LSA while deployed in the hot sun and sand with great results. Now that I’m out I have use Rand clp hawg grease on all my firearms for about about 3-4 years now. including my 10/22. Absolutely love the stuff. It stays put doesn’t burn off. Of course I’m like sawman. I clean all firearms after every outing. Sometimes if I’m bored which is often, I’ll grab one or two and watch tv and re clean them. I may use them hard but treat them like most would a classic car at a car show. Just me though.
    B7AFA805-08B9-4C39-83BB-80661F228ADF.jpeg
    346C8006-A719-4796-96C4-4CC737A4668B.jpeg

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Worst thing about Florida is the humidity...
    I've left a gun in its box for 3 months, opened it and the grip
    was covered in white mold...that got me to switch from lock boxes
    to actual safes with Goldenrods...but I'm still tight on cleaning everything
    on a regular basis & oilcloth wipedowns when storing.

standles

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hear ya on that one. I now have a safe with golden rod and an additional dehumidifier I can recharge once a month to make sure. The Goldenrod alone keeps it at about 45-50% and the addon drops it to 30-35%

Worst thing about Florida is the humidity...
    I've left a gun in its box for 3 months, opened it and the grip
    was covered in white mold...that got me to switch from lock boxes
    to actual safes with Goldenrods...but I'm still tight on cleaning everything
    on a regular basis & oilcloth wipedowns when storing.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    88   0   0
    Now that I think of it. Fluid film is a great product. Never used it on anything gun related. It's kinda thick, but still runs. Heavier than wd and will soak in

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Yall remember when the SHTF that AR's (and therefore probably everything else) will run with spray-on cooking grease, and there's 10 times more of that crap in America then gun oil. There's a can of it in almost every kitchen and 100 cans of it in every food store

Attachments

• 20191207_185210.jpg
      20191207_185210.jpg
      578.9 KB · Views: 93
    • 20191207_185227.jpg
      20191207_185227.jpg
      713.5 KB · Views: 84
    • 20191207_185250.jpg
      20191207_185250.jpg
      636.9 KB · Views: 101

850guns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    don't tighten the screws on the slide too tight, it causes binding. Get a spare firing pin and buffers. Only load 20-25 rounds in the mag. After they break in, loading 30 will be easier. Gold dot ammo leaves lots of unburnt powder in mine. KT says no armscor, but mine runs it. If you have a threaded barrel, don't suppress it.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yall remember when the SHTF that AR's (and therefore probably everything else) will run with spray-on cooking grease, and there's 10 times more of that crap in America then gun oil. There's a can of it in almost every kitchen and 100 cans of it in every food store
    Motor oil and even grease taken from wheel bearings are good lubricants.

I have no idea if cooking oils like corn oil is anygood for lubing guns.

Anyhow just how much oil do you need to lube a gun.

Top Bottom