• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndAmendmentShooting

Master
    Local Dealer
    You expect the people who can't build a healthcare website for 600 million or a decent nfa website to able to track ammo with a computer? Lol

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

Staz

Master
    lol and they have the gall to say we should be willing to take a cut in pay and benefits...... How about fixing things like this and saving millions

bigbulls

Marksman
    In my best Gomer Pyle voice....... SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE!

Droshki

Master
    Eyeroll to the first response linking this to the affordable care act.

That said, this is a huge issue in the armed services. Its by far not limited to what's in the article. All the branches have been trying to replace, and integrate at the same time, legacy financial, logistics, and personnel systems.

It's not as simple a task as keyboard commandos might think, and it's not gone well. The air force gave up on the expeditionary combat support system after $1B. The navy continues to plod along with their enterprise resource planning system, with extremely mixed results.

Anyone that thinks they can integrate twenty or so legacy data systems and deploy the result across the world on hundreds of thousands of computers, with users at the high school level or below, is welcome to step up to the plate.

Of course, I think there are things that could of been done better, but let's not just chuckle and roll our eyes at the incompetence of those attempting an extremely complex data integration tasking.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Eyeroll to the first response linking this to the affordable care act.

That said, this is a huge issue in the armed services. Its by far not limited to what's in the article. All the branches have been trying to replace, and integrate at the same time, legacy financial, logistics, and personnel systems.

It's not as simple a task as keyboard commandos might think, and it's not gone well. The air force gave up on the expeditionary combat support system after $1B. The navy continues to plod along with their enterprise resource planning system, with extremely mixed results.

Anyone that thinks they can integrate twenty or so legacy data systems and deploy the result across the world on hundreds of thousands of computers, with users at the high school level or below, is welcome to step up to the plate.

Of course, I think there are things that could of been done better, but let's not just chuckle and roll our eyes at the incompetence of those attempting an extremely complex data integration tasking.
    Maybe they should let Walmart have a crack at it!:smile:
    I think they have been doing just what you described for years!....just maybe not with the antiquated equipment.
    Seriously....There cant possibly be a more inefficient system in the world than our government.
    You cant blame all that on old equipment.
    Maybe they should stop spending our $ on equipment to spy on us...and buy some new inventory control software!

Droshki

Master
    If you think the problem has anything to do with "old equipment" I don't know if you are capable of understanding the problem. Do you understand what an enterprise system is? Its not "inventory control software"

You want it to integrate maintenance tracking and reporting systems, supply and logistics systems, training and personnel systems, communicate in near real time, across the world, across platforms, across service branches, near real time, in war zones, and interface with all manners of users. The US military is a lot more complicated than "Wal-Mart".

From Wiki:

Enterprise systems (ES) are large-scale application software packages that support business processes, information flows, reporting, and data analytics in complex organizations. While ES are generally packaged enterprise application software (PEAS) systems they can also be bespoke, custom developed systems created to support a specific organization's needs.

Types of enterprise systems include:
    enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems,
    enterprise planning systems, and
    customer relationship management software.

Although data warehousing or business intelligence systems are enterprise-wide packaged application software often sold by ES vendors, since they do not directly support execution of business processes, they are often excluded from the term.
    Enterprise systems are built on software platforms, such as SAP’s NetWeaver and Oracle's Fusion, and databases.

From a hardware perspective, enterprise systems are the servers, storage and associated software that large businesses use as the foundation for their IT infrastructure. These systems are designed to manage large volumes of critical data. These systems are typically designed to provide high levels of transaction performance and data security.

Vendors in this space include IBM, Oracle, HP and more.

Think its simple? Step up and make a bid. The USAF is looking for a new system right now. They tried to integrate and replace 240 legacy systems--- Oracle fell flat on their face.

Last edited:

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Don't take it so personally .....unless you ARE responsible for the problem!
    No - I don't think its simple.
    No I'm not an idiot either.....and don't believe for a second that it could not be handled better.
    I still think that if they can track and organize all the cell phone calls in the US ....then they should be able to know where their damn bullets are.

FNHman

Marksman
    Combine walmarts inventory/ordering system, UPS satellite vehicle tracking and fuel saving delivery routes, and the INS computer processing power and we might have a winner.

RackinRay

Master
    Don't take it so personally .....unless you ARE responsible for the problem!
    No - I don't think its simple.
    No I'm not an idiot either.....and don't believe for a second that it could not be handled better.
    I still think that if they can track and organize all the cell phone calls in the US ....then they should be able to know where their damn bullets are.

I do not think he is taking it personally, just professionally offended it seems. I may offer some insight, but it won't be on here, and it won't be on a phone...but could pour you a beer or buy you a cuppa to chat. We all want to see the government operate more responsibly, and so would most of it's employees; other than the IRS agents not paying taxes!! LOL

P.S. Trust me, he is too far down the food chain and too young to be responsible! :)

RackinRay

Master
    Combine walmarts inventory/ordering system, UPS satellite vehicle tracking and fuel saving delivery routes, and the INS computer processing power and we might have a winner.

RFIDs have a chance, IF there is a central repository of data for all like items purchased by the government. Therein lies the current problem in my opinion, and what I think Droshki was trying to express.

RackinRay

Master
    Oh, and I would love some of 'dem boolits too!! Do they have .22LR?

RackinRay

Master
    Insults? I am not sure how I insulted you dude. I have been in and out of federal harness since 1975; so please explain it to me in a PM. I will send you one to facilitate the exchange. I am looking forward to being educated.

Droshki

Master
    PM replied.

Above comment removed. My error, misunderstanding Ray. I should have clarified his response before jumping on him.

Last edited:

RackinRay

Master
    No worries. Hope to meet you at a future forum event since it seems we have quite a bit in common.

Droshki

Master
    Same here. Thanks again for reaching out. It showed real class.

Hipower

Marksman
    So do you guys think harping on our respective Congress persons can get some of this ammo released to the civilian market instead of being destroyed? Again, at cost to us taxpayers?

Droshki

Master
    Yes. You should ask for a Hellfire missile.

Hipower

Marksman
    Well, weren't some congress persons successful in stopping some of the used brass casings at military bases from being demilled and sent overseas instead of being resold to ammo remanufacturers here?

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    So do you guys think harping on our respective Congress persons can get some of this ammo released to the civilian market instead of being destroyed? Again, at cost to us taxpayers?
    No....but it does not seem like too much to ask - to NOT destroy it.....maybe USE it....instead of buying millions more rounds that may not be needed either.
    + where do you get the idea that military surplus sales COST the taxpayer?
    Why must everything be destroyed instead of letting the people that paid for it get some use out of it? Maybe not Hellfire missiles (I wish) ...but 50 cal and under ammo should not be destroyed.

Top Bottom