• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's been some "close encounters" with bears the last few years in Eglin. In particular one that wanted a deer kill really bad and ran the archer off as he was dragging it to truck. Bear drug deer off and hid it in a deadfall. I had an absolute brute come under my stand a couple years ago, but, man, as soon as he detected me he kicked it in high gear and vamoosed. I DO NOT want to encounter one of them on the ground in the dark!

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Area 7 a few yrs.ago before all the clear cut . Was watching a yote thru scope , he became super agitated and took off down a fire cut . I never saw a cat , but later when I got down from my stand , I went and looked around and there were some pretty good sized cat prints intersecting with the yote prints .
    Not sure I know where "area 7" is, but the ones I've run into were totally unconcerned about my presence. I literally finally had to stand up and wave my arms and yell at the first one to run him off. He was about 20-30 yards from me and crouched behind a volunteer pine sapling. Had already tried to get him to leave, but he just wasn't having it. Ran into a pair in Eglin before daylight a couple years back. One of them eased off (slowly) but the other one just sat and stared at me, again at about 20 yards. Other one ran across 211 in front of me just after dark when I was coming out last year. Buddy has seen them in about that same spot.
    Unit 7 is what I meant to say . This was South of Duke Field .

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is the first one I saw from BW back in 2014. Taken with an Iphone 4 and I'm not a great photographer anyway, so it's not a great pic. He's crouched down really tight trying to hide behind that pine sapling, so it's hard to get much idea of the scale. But, it is a picture of one. I was right on the edge of a just burned area.

IMG_0743.JPG

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And a bigun bear in Eglin

Attachments

• IMG_2909.PNG
      IMG_2909.PNG
      1.8 MB · Views: 53
    • IMG_2908.PNG
      IMG_2908.PNG
      1.3 MB · Views: 51

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Always found it strange that I’m within 3 miles of the Florida line and wildlife biologists said with absolute certainty there were no Florida Panthers in Alabama. Absolutely none. Didn’t say breeding populations. Said none.

Florida must have built an invisible panther wall.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Always found it strange that I’m within 3 miles of the Florida line and wildlife biologists said with absolute certainty there were no Florida Panthers in Alabama. Absolutely none. Didn’t say breeding populations. Said none.

Might need to give the border patrol a few tips..

hunter01

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    We have a similar issue where we hunt up past Luverne, AL except with cougars and wolf's. Fish and game will deny there existence, but bobcats and coyotes just don't get that big. And bobcats are clearly a different color, plus there footprint is the size of an adults fist. It's not uncommon to see one of each a couple times a year, I've been hunting the same piece of property for over 30 years and have seen the cats since I started hunting there. The wolf's started showing up about 15-20 years ago.

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    We have a similar issue where we hunt up past Luverne, AL except with cougars and wolf's. Fish and game will deny there existence, but bobcats and coyotes just don't get that big. And bobcats are clearly a different color, plus there footprint is the size of an adults fist. It's not uncommon to see one of each a couple times a year, I've been hunting the same piece of property for over 30 years and have seen the cats since I started hunting there. The wolf's started showing up about 15-20 years ago.
    Inquire about the Florida Red Wolf . FWC denies their existence but we know otherwise .

J pace

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And then there was that time I walked up on a Bigfoot ...man that guy stunk. No but seriously everybody talks about nobody gets the big cats on game cam. Bears come to our feeders all the time they leave signs but we only get pictures of them about 25% of the time. I'm not sure why this is unless they're moving so slow the motion is not detected.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Things that make you go, Hmmm! Awesome .

What baffles me is what I see in BW all appear to be coyotes. Yet, go south of I 10 into Eglin and what I see (to me) is not a coyote. I've seen many coyotes out west and the BW "models", while perhaps slightly larger than out west, are pretty clearly coyotes. What I see in Eglin clearly is much bigger than a standard "yote". See pic in post 33 above.

Why is this????

Last edited:

lettheairout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Nope. They become Alabama panthers once they cross the line

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Lmao. They claim we don’t have them either.

The Conecuh River flows hundreds of miles in Alabama and when it his the Florida line and becomes the Escambia River.

big jon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive seen and heard cats halfway between jay and berrydale Had one off my drivers watch one one morning thought it was a strange yellow lab called me and asked me about it I told him it sounded like a painter got there later that morning and sure enough cat tracks in the field right where he saw it

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Im 99% certain I saw a Florida Bobcat in my backyard last night.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We aren't supposed to have chipmunks or copperheads here either, but we do.

Top Bottom