Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    When I was 14 I fished a dead one out of a well on our land in Ozark, AL. Several years ago while hunting I found tracks on Ft. Rucker crossing a sandy road into camp Alaflo.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone seen what looks to be an oversized house cat in the woods? I'd estimate the biggest one I've seen at around 30ish pounds. First I though it was a jagurandai, but the head shape on these is wrong to be that creature. These literally look like you took a house cat and gave it massive proportions.

I saw one in Blackwater years ago that came in to my turkey setup. I've seen three in Eglin since, and know someone else who's seen a couple out there too.

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Anyone seen what looks to be an oversized house cat in the woods? I'd estimate the biggest one I've seen at around 30ish pounds. First I though it was a jagurandai, but the head shape on these is wrong to be that creature. These literally look like you took a house cat and gave it massive proportions.

I saw one in Blackwater years ago that came in to my turkey setup. I've seen three in Eglin since, and know someone else who's seen a couple out there too.

We have one cruising around our neighborhood. Looks like a big house cat/bob cat. I say that because it has pointed ears, darker in color with a long tail.

NavCorman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Area 7 a few yrs.ago before all the clear cut . Was watching a yote thru scope , he became super agitated and took off down a fire cut . I never saw a cat , but later when I got down from my stand , I went and looked around and there were some pretty good sized cat prints intersecting with the yote prints .

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    we had panthers come thru our place regularly when i was a boy, back in the 70s. this was the garcon/robinson point area. we had one over by ammo at hurlburt back in 2010

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We have one cruising around our neighborhood. Looks like a big house cat/bob cat. I say that because it has pointed ears, darker in color with a long tail.

Yeah--these all have long, super bushy/brushy tails. Ears were pointy, but no tufting on the ends. Large legs and feet. One I saw in BW had an undercoat pattern like a leopard when the sun hit him. Otherwise he was a charcoally gray.

Whereabouts are you, generally?

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Area 7 a few yrs.ago before all the clear cut . Was watching a yote thru scope , he became super agitated and took off down a fire cut . I never saw a cat , but later when I got down from my stand , I went and looked around and there were some pretty good sized cat prints intersecting with the yote prints .

Not sure I know where "area 7" is, but the ones I've run into were totally unconcerned about my presence. I literally finally had to stand up and wave my arms and yell at the first one to run him off. He was about 20-30 yards from me and crouched behind a volunteer pine sapling. Had already tried to get him to leave, but he just wasn't having it. Ran into a pair in Eglin before daylight a couple years back. One of them eased off (slowly) but the other one just sat and stared at me, again at about 20 yards. Other one ran across 211 in front of me just after dark when I was coming out last year. Buddy has seen them in about that same spot.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How many pics of big cats have y’all seen with all these trail cameras stashed in the woods running 24/7 surveillance? I was listening to a podcast that stated the majority of our big cat population is in central Florida. When a juvenile male gets run out of his territory they sometimes venture up this way. This seems to be the most logical explanation for people seeing them randomly. I believe they pass through but do not spend 12 months a year here

Viking1204

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Yeah--these all have long, super bushy/brushy tails. Ears were pointy, but no tufting on the ends. Large legs and feet. One I saw in BW had an undercoat pattern like a leopard when the sun hit him. Otherwise he was a charcoally gray.

Whereabouts are you, generally?

I'm currently renting a townhouse in the old circular base housing area in FWB North of the back gate of Hurlburt. The whole neighborhood is surrounded by woods and we have a pretty large wild cat population due to owners leaving their house cats behind. We also having locking bins for our garbage due to the large bear population.

Reactions: WRM

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm currently renting a townhouse in the old circular base housing area in FWB North of the back gate of Hurlburt. The whole neighborhood is surrounded by woods and we have a pretty large wild cat population due to owners leaving their house cats behind. We also having locking bins for our garbage due to the large bear population.

I had a long argument with Nat Resources and they insisted there is "no proof" of the existence of these unicorns. Once I said, well then it'll be ok that I shoot the next one I see since they clearly don't exist, the tune changed right up!

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had a face-to-face encounter with a panther on my place a few years ago when driving around the property in my Gator. He just looked at me, and very cat-like turned around and walked away. It was a thrilling experience. I never go outdoors unarmed. The wildlife biologist I talked to about them tells me a panther will take a yearling deer about every three days. They will also take a piglet which gives me great joy. My place borders Blackwater so we get all manner of critters and the deer are thick so it is good hunting for a panther.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sawman and I were told by property owners that panthers were where we hog hunted in Santa Rosa County 2 miles from where I live. In all those years (being out at night with thermal) we never heard one or saw one or spotted any tracks. Seen house cats and bobcats many times. Of course we've never seen a bear either, but we know there are bears as we've seen the game camera and video evidence of bears on the properties we've hunted. One time Chaps put out a game camera aimed at an adult size dead hog and all it caught was a glimpse of what appeared to be a big dog and something dragged the hog out of camera's aim.

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    6th generation residents here tell me they see tracks or hear panthers about once every 2-3 years as they travel their range, then they are gone again for a couple more years.

Reactions: WRM

Latest posts

Top Bottom