APOD Firearms

Optics for a spring piston vs. nitro piston???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I'm looking at air rifles lately, for every reason everyone else is. I have very little experience with them, but I've narrowed my choices down. I'm impressed with the nitro piston rifles in my price range. If I go that route, is there anything anyone here can recommend as far as optics? (Hitting between a squirrel's ear and eyeball at 50 yards would be ideal, but I don't get paid for my good looks yet)
    I haven't made my choice yet, I'm just bouncing ideas around. Thanks in advance.
    Sj1

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Recommend you do some research on break barrel spring or nitro piston type guns. They don't shoot like any other type of gun Very difficult to be accurate with until you learn how to hold and shoot them, then finding the right pellet your particular gun likes is another part of learning to shoot one decently. Unless you are going to spend $500 or more on that type of gun don't expect great accuracy. 1" groups at 25 yards is about the best you can consistently expect with occasionally a better group and larger groups regularly. Search online for the "artillery hold" Once you learn that and have shot a few thousand pellets you can get fairly good at shooting a spring or piston gun. Most of those guns, without a very experienced shooter, the right pellet and the right scope would be lucky to hit a squirrel at 50 yards, much less hit him at an exact spot.

Now as mentioned above their are very good and accurate springer type guns. mainly German models if you want to spend the money on them. They still have a steep learning curve but will give great results once you find the pellet they like and learn to shoot it.

If you do go for a springer type gun make sure you get a shockproof scope. Most scopes will not hold up to the double recoil, forward and back that these type of guns produce. Especially if you get a powerful one. I've heard stories of springers destroying a scope within 50 rounds. I have a Benjamin Trail NP that killed a nice centerpoint scope, now has a Hammers on it that seems to be working good. I used to shoot that gun a lot. Got to the point where I could very often get 3/8" or less groups at 20 yards. But I could shoot one or 2 groups real tight and the next group would be spread out over 2 inches! Other times I could shoot great one day, put it away, go out the next day and be barely able to keep 5 shots in a 1.5" circle. Just can't be consistently good with one of those. Now there are people who claim to be consistently very good with them. Usually they have very expensive guns and have been shooting them for years.

Before you decide on a piston or spring gun really look at your options and what you want to do with it. I found I now can have lots of fun with mine shooting at metal spinner type targets with 1.5 inch spinners. Can hit the spinners almost all the time. Close range small game hunting is very possible with practice. I just refuse to shoot paper targets with it because I find it too frustrating. If you want to target shoot I suggest looking into PCP or CO2 guns. At closer range single stroke pneumatics are great too. Since I like to target shoot and really enjoy seeing one hole groups I now have some PCP guns that are incredibly accurate and are accurate every time as long as I do my part properly. With a PCP 1 hole groups at 40 to 50 yards and further are very achievable.

Good luck, make sure you really look into it and know what you want the gun to do and find one that is capable of it.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Pyramid air has good articles on this exact topic.
    Not to mention learning about artillery hold.

Reactions: sj1

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thank you. I've been reading articles on Pyramid air, they seem to be a good resource. It seems that I might be jumping the gun, so to speak, assuming I would need a scope from the start. The rifles I'm looking at appear to have decent open sights, and like fv22 said, the learning curve is more about technique, and becoming familiar with the gun. Dead squirrels at 30 yards would be the main objective, and that looks like a realistic goal. I'll keep you all posted.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Thank you. I've been reading articles on Pyramid air, they seem to be a good resource. It seems that I might be jumping the gun, so to speak, assuming I would need a scope from the start. The rifles I'm looking at appear to have decent open sights, and like fv22 said, the learning curve is more about technique, and becoming familiar with the gun. Dead squirrels at 30 yards would be the main objective, and that looks like a realistic goal. I'll keep you all posted.
    At 30 the stock irons should be good.
    I have a .177 and .22 break action nitro pistons and a .25 pcp bolt action ( fun but damn scope mounting is finicky)

Reactions: sj1

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My concern with the artillery hold is wondering how it would influence my groups with with center fire rifles. With guns like an AK with a loose hold results in bump firing for me. When possible, I use a .22 LR with quiet ammo when noise is an issue. The gas and precharged guns seem to be a idea for me.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To the OP - - -> if you want to try my springer .177 gun (single stroke,with scope ) you can shoot it in my back yard. (It is for sale also.)
    I could never shoot it with any degree of accuracy. It is counter to any "normal" shooting habits that you have accquied.
    I shoot my pump up Crossman out back for tree rats. It is open sight and I can do pretty well with it. (right Bruce) ---- SAWMAN

Last edited:

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have always used quiet .22 rounds in the past, but with the way .22 ammo gets scarce and expensive whenever there's a "crisis", an air rifle would be a logical alternative.
    Sawman, thanks for the offer. It's a long drive, but if I ever find myself out that way, I'll shoot you a PM.
    Thanks again to everyone for sharing your experience. I'll keep you all updated.
    Sj1

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My problem (could possibly be your problem) is - - -> my neighbors see me shooting up in the trees and call the cops . . . a pellet gun is one thing . . . a FIREARM is something different. ---- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My problem (could possibly be your problem) is - - -> my neighbors see me shooting up in the trees and call the cops . . . a pellet gun is one thing . . . a FIREARM is something different. ---- SAWMAN
    I shoot from inside the house at a squirrel feeder on a live oak into the ground of a wetlands in a safe direction.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    And you most likely shoot ducks,geese,quail,doves,etc,etc,on the ground,right.
    NOT ME !!
    Ever been squirrel hunting ?? How do you get them to come down from their tree and onto the ground for a "safe" shot ?? --- SAWMAN

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And you most likely shoot ducks,geese,quail,doves,etc,etc,on the ground,right.
    NOT ME !!
    Ever been squirrel hunting ?? How do you get them to come down from their tree and onto the ground for a "safe" shot ?? --- SAWMAN
    Think and read. My window is 16 fit above the creek level. The feeder is about 4 ft off the ground. I am not hunting. This is control culling. All squirrels must die. They attack my berries and fruit.

Once they start eating the corn and are relatively still I pop them with a slug through the head. Rifle is zeroed to hit to point of aim. Large live oak stops the bullet. If by some reason I missed there is a safe impact area.
    Shooting on the ground.
    It is much more difficult to hit squirrel or bird with rifle on the ground than it is when they are silhouetted against something.

1609181298672.png

1609181494543.png

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    To update my original post:
    I ordered a Crosman 2240 CO2 pistol from PyramydAir. It's not a spring or nitro piston, or even a rifle. But, the price was right, and from what I've read, it performs well out if the box, and there are lots of upgrades I can do, if I need or want to.
    I had not considered a CO2 gun, because my only experience with them was as a kid, with cheap plastic replica repeaters. This pistol looks like what I would use the most, for plinking, rats and pests, and maybe a squirrel, if the shot was just right.
    It will be nice to shoot some targets again, without the worry of needing to find ammo.
    I'll let you all know how it works out.
    Sj1

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The 2240 is a nice gun and fairly accurate. The only thing to look out for that I know of with CO2 guns is they lose power the colder it gets. Not too much of a problem down here but we do get enough days that would cause a problem if trying to hunt with one.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    That was one of my doubts about a CO2 gun, needing an external source of propulsion. But, so do pcp airguns, and muzzleloaders. It's a fun way to keep shooting, and with ammo supplies and prices always uncertain, I'll take the slight inconveniences.

Surfrod

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's my 2 cents .... which is actually worth about maybe 1/2 cent.
    I was looking for an air rifle to whack tree rats with and didn't want to spend a ton of money or get something chinese-made. After a bunch of online research (which always makes you an expert) I settled on a Hatsan 95 (Turkish made) in .22 from Pyramyd Air. I like the fact that it comes with iron sights, but also can mount a scope. Some of the reviews stated it's good to go through a break-in period, where the rifle tends to vibrate more, and then mount the scope after five hundred or so pellets go through. My second choice was a Walther Parrus - German made. Both guns are springers and evidently have particular likes as to grip when shooting. Pyramyd Air and airguns of Arizona seemed to have the best prices and lots of available research. Good luck!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom