• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I had one of these cheap 308's a long time ago as one of my first, if not the first, 308 I ever owned. Mine was bought already rusted and sporterized for like $100. I shot the crap out of it and then upgraded when I heard that these Mausers were not safe. Now I see this article from 1988 and I wonder. Anybody else love or hate the 1916? Have any bad experiences?
    20210606_222625.jpg
    20210606_222639.jpg

Midnight son

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Last year I got a buddies 1916 Spanish up and running he picked up in a local pawnshop. It had been marked 7x57 but alas it was a .308. A little floor plate fitting and replacement of the front sight was all it took to get it up and running. I loaded some 150 FMJ to 7.62x51 pressure with IMR4064. It shot into an inch at 50 and a little drifting and filling on the front sight brought it to zero. It was by no means a smooth action but functioned fine. I thought a fine little truck carbine all and all.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Last year I got a buddies 1916 Spanish up and running he picked up in a local pawnshop. It had been marked 7x57 but alas it was a .308. A little floor plate fitting and replacement of the front sight was all it took to get it up and running. I loaded some 150 FMJ to 7.62x51 pressure with IMR4064. It shot into an inch at 50 and a little drifting and filling on the front sight brought it to zero. It was by no means a smooth action but functioned fine. I thought a fine little truck carbine all and all.
    That was my impression, too. A fine little truck gun. I was amazed what kind of negative publicity that particular Mauser was getting online. But most guys that I've known owned them spoke highly of the Spanish Mausers, and of all Mausers, large and small, and in all calibers. I've owned about ten or so over the last 20 years. A 1916, an FR7, several FR8 and now a 1950 La Coruna. I love 'em. Always searching for a better one. That 8mm Mauser cartridge is a beast compared to 308, and for a little while last year was cheaper and easier to find. On par with 300 Win Mag within a couple hundred yards

Last edited:
    Top Bottom