• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Considering optics for an AR 10. 7.62/.308. I have looked at Vortex optics, and several others. My question most specifically pertains to variable range and magnification. Is 1–8×24 sufficient, versus for example, 6 - 24 x 50. Even though it is capable of long range accuracy, having too high a magnification for short range effectiveness would be a concern. Realistically, a 1000 yard capability is impractical locally, as most ranges can only accommodate 100-500 yard range sighting. Brand opinions are welcome, but trying to understand the magnification issue first. I am new to the platform and appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

Grits1/5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    The first thing to consider is what distances do you plan to be shooting at, and what type of shooting do you plan to do. The .308 round is a good round with good stopping power but isn’t ideal for distances over say 400yrds. Not saying that it can’t accurately reach further with a good rifle and a good marksman, but I personally like the .308 round at the 100-300yrd range. For close quarters, the recoil, weight, and speed for follow up shots is often better served with lesser calibers.
    So depending on your use and intended distances, different scopes may be appropriate. A lpvo like a 1-8x is great for close up when you need it, but the fov and eye box get tight at higher magnification. So it may be a good trade off if you are trying to do it all, and still engage threats at a reasonable range. In many areas, the likelihood of a threat or reasonable target at beyond 200 yards is less likely.
    In my experience, high magnification scopes in the 20x + magnification are great for shooting targets in long range, but the higher low end magnification makes it unusable at close distances.
    My preferred optic for a DMR rifle is a 2.5-10x or vortex has a nice 3-15x with a 40mm or bigger objective. The low end power is manageable at closer distances and 10-15x is great for accurately engaging at several hundred yards. A secondary small optic mounted at 30-45 degrees is great for close targets.
    For a budget minded shooter, the first gen vortex 2.5-10x pst scopes are about $320 from euro-optic, and are nice glass for the price. Adding an offset optic like an Aimpoint t-1 sized optic or an even lighter rmr sized optic is great for close quarters and as a backup sight. For the 20mm optic size, I love the holosun 515 series, and the 507 is awesome and even smaller/lighter. And the weight of an optic combo like that is lighter than many LPVO’s. My favorite optics combo is a Leupold MK AR tmr fire dot 3-9x40 combined with a holosun 515. Pretty sure that combo is lighter than my vortex razor 1-6x. The vortex pst glass is great, but I don’t feel that it’s superior to Leupold, if you can find a good deal on the Leupold. But I have the vortex viper pst 2.5-10x too, and it’s an amazing optic for the current price! Hope this helps, I’m not an expert, but these are my opinions.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    A 1-8x LPVO is the cats ass for home defense, national defense and hunting. It's good all the way out to 500+ yards, which is about when 308 runs out of killing gas anyways. Anything further than that and you're just a hobbyist punching paper basically. Further than 500 and the 308 is dropping in almost vertically. Miss a range estimation over 500 yards by 10 or 20 feet and you'll miss the target altogether. Fact: over 99% of ALL law enforcement sniper shots were under 100 yards. You'll be lucky to ever face anything over 500 yards in any kind of urban MOUT engagement unless you're in a bell tower or on the interstate. Anything over 500 yards is just not needed. You will be thousands of times more likely to need that lit reticle at 1x magnification for targets under 100 yards than you will need the 8x for over 100 yards. The 8x is only there for IF you ever need it. Nevermind a 25x, unless you're a benchrest shooter hobbyist

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    One way around this is to have that 25+ magnification with a bolted on reflex sight or a bolted on micro red dot optic on the scope body or a railed scope ring. Just for quick close up shots if you're scope is dialed in at particular yardage and you gotta suddenly shoot something under 100 yards

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Come spend a 1/2 day and learn first hand what would work for you with some hands on. I don't just collect , I shoot. Was dropping deer on a field on permit up to 800 yds average shot s was 300 to 500 one shot drop, this with a 308 using a couple of different bullets the main was the Hornady. 168 A- Mat. The closest shot has been about 100 yds was with a 18 in ar useing a 62 grain did neck shot to keep from messing up meat and they would drop wright there. The average scope power is up to 25 power and 9 prower using a couple of 1-4 and 1-8 as my eyes are getting older going to more power to help out , Just my 5 cents jj

Top Bottom