• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I'm a new carrier, and just like the title states. I'd like to check with more experienced members. I'm in Pensacola, but occasionally travel to TX, LA, MS, AL, and GA. FL and TX don't do open carry, but from the way I understand the laws to read, with a FL permit one can open carry (in accordance with their respective laws) in GA MS, LA and AL. Any truth to this? Thank you in advance for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Bootwo2000

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Im pretty sure you just have to know if they accept out of state permits and make sure your gun is legal there ie under the round limits some states have. Your mag cant even be able to hold more than 10 in some and 7 in others. Although out of the states you named i dont see that being an issue

Bootwo2000

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    But if you drive through a gun control state your gun needs to be ok with that state so just driving through you need to check to see the law. In the year of gun craziness its better to be safe then sorry

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With open carry states it is not required to have a permit while open carrying...only if concealed carrying. As Bootwoo2000 stated better to check each states laws before doing so.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Always best to check each state you are passing through, get on their site and read, don't just read FL or listen to other people. When you have a question ask that State, no one else really knows the answer.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks guys, I figured as much. Although after traveling a bit, I found that I'm much more comfortable carrying concealed. I didn't really want to attract the attention of the uninformed or of law enforcement. I usually carry a 1911, so mag restrictions weren't really an issue. Again, thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

tyler0421

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Here's a sheet I got with my cwp. All the dark states are reciprocal. I know it doesnt answer your question but may help others that travel a lot..

Attachments

• image-2207352297.jpg
      image-2207352297.jpg
      65.3 KB · Views: 102
    Last edited:

Clay

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I lived in PA for most of my life and open carry was a common sight. When I moved down here, I made that mistake ONCE, not knowing it wasn't permitted. Thankfully it was during hunting season and a cool deputy gave me a break. The crazy part to me is the history as to why FL, along with a few other states don't permit it. It goes back to post-civil war reconstruction era laws where communities didn't want blacks openly displaying firearms.....

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Very interesting Clay. I don't really want to open carry. But it would be reassuring to know that you won't be charged with brandishing, just because you leaned over to pick up your kid in the middle of a crowded store and some nut feels uncomfortable with your choice to protect your family.

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Open carry is allowed up here in AK. I've been here two months and have yet to see someone open carrying in public...

I guess it just isn't that much of a draw for folks where it's allowed in some parts of the country. Me, I'd rather carry concealed and maintain the element of surprise -- also not to mark me as a target for some thug who wants to add my gun to his collection...

We don't have a requirement for a permit to carry concealed -- but we do have to disclose to an LEO that we're armed when in contact (required, not voluntary). I'll keep my FL CWL just for the reciprocity in other states and for when I return to visit.

Top Bottom